The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
miriam
Site Admin

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by miriam » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 pm

1. A solicitor trying to get out of paying a bill that has been owing to me for 3 years now. Claimed I sent the invoice late, but it was not so late that they had sent me any reminder or warning it might not be paid, and it was not too late for the other parties on the case to pay it, so that isn't really an excuse. Then tried to give me 7 days to accept half the money before saying they owed me nothing. Well sod you then. I don't need your custom and I'd rather take you to the small claims court for the whole amount plus interest than let you get away with such a horrible stance. Also, here is a copy of the email where you agreed that even though it was late you would pay it in full that I'll be showing the court if you don't pay me the lot, with interest, in 14 days.

2. Having put enormous effort into writing a bid, only for one of the partner agencies to fail to sign it, I assumed I'd be excluded from going through to the final round with the funder. However, we got through to the next round, met up sorted things out and many promises were made to get signatures on time if I wrote the full proposal. So, yes, it is a bit frustrating that we are now less than 24 hours from the deadline and still missing a signature on the document.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Don't list 'honorary' positions as band 4 only to then state multiple times in the advert and job description that it is unpaid! Seriously!
Also, I know it's been said before, but honestly the fact that anyone expects someone who already has experience of psychological assessment and evaluation, knowledge of a range of research methods, and prior experience of working with children and families, to work FULL TIME completely unpaid is ridiculous. That is clearly a band 4 job.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:55 pm

firegal wrote:Don't list 'honorary' positions as band 4 only to then state multiple times in the advert and job description that it is unpaid! Seriously!
Also, I know it's been said before, but honestly the fact that anyone expects someone who already has experience of psychological assessment and evaluation, knowledge of a range of research methods, and prior experience of working with children and families, to work FULL TIME completely unpaid is ridiculous. That is clearly a band 4 job.
Hrm.. this sounds like it crosses the line between the currently accepted level of honorary and into exploitative. Name and shame, it wouldn't be the first time this community has had an exploitative advert removed for further consideration. ;)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:41 pm

They have now changed the job title to "Voluntary Psychology Assistant" and changed the salary to £0, though it still says pay band 4.
Still full time though, and the person spec and job description still look very much like a band 4 post to me.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/b6bb2 ... =913974064

(moderators please remove if you don't want the link here)

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:56 pm

wow, that's something else, firegal!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:27 pm

A relative came round for dinner and saw me getting a slice of cake. "There must be 200 calories in that, but don't let that put you off." Me (icily): "It won't."

I would insert a stinging rant on patriarchal body-policing and generally crap attitudes towards the sight of women eating things, but I'm too busy polishing off a second slice. (And actually I would estimate this delicious cake of deliciousness at between 300 and 350 calories, not that it matters.)
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun May 01, 2016 10:44 am

I got really irritated at work yesterday. There was a new agency staff member who kept asking me about the money the permanent staff make and the questions I was asked in interview. She said she was a student. I asked if she were a student nurse or AHP, as we get quite a few of them doing HCA work on the side, and she said no, she's doing finance and she wants to go back to her home country after her degree and "make good money". She wants a permanent job if it would allow her to save more. I wouldn't have minded this if it hadn't been clear from how she acted on the ward that she doesn't have a particular interest in CAMHS, this is just her way of making a bit of money. In the afternoon the alarms went off. I was sitting in the airlock unable to move (I was supervising a visit). She came into the airlock and began fussing with her hair and her clothes, checking her phone and going on Facebook. I said, "The alarms are going off," by way of a pointed hint and she laughed and said, "Yeah." Then she went and locked herself in the bathroom with her phone before I could say anything more. When she emerged five minutes later, it was to ask me, "Is it quiet in there now?" At this point I did snap and go, "It doesn't matter whether it is or it isn't, you should be in there." Seriously, do healthcare agencies do any quality control on who they sign up or do they just put anyone on their books?
- A.A. Milne.

astra

Post by astra » Tue May 10, 2016 11:24 am

Booking train tickets online, trying to ensure I book the right ticket for the right day and request wheelchair assistance - only 3 journeys, but it took me an hour to get all the right details in the right place, then my credit card declined and the website threw me out without completing the booking. Rang the credit card people and had to navigate my way through about 100 automated menus) and they said there's a lot of fraud on those kind of transactions at the moment so it was just a security check :evil: they took a load of security details and said give it 5 minutes and you'll be able to complete your booking :evil: Went back into Virgin East Coast website and luckily the journeys had saved so was able to resurrect my booking and complete it. Altogether it's taken an hour and a half of concerted effort to book 3 train journeys, and then I had to ring the assistance line to get them to amend the seats that had been automatically allocated because seemingly when you put in that you need wheelchair assistance it doesn't automatically assume that you want a wheelchair space, but allocates you seats in the middle of the carriage :evil: The chap on the end of the line was then a bit like "Yeah we can sort that, you'll get an email sometime", I'm not convinced. And then I had to come on here to rant about it :evil: It really has taken most of the morning just to book 3 train journeys!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed May 11, 2016 1:05 pm

astra wrote:Booking train tickets online, trying to ensure I book the right ticket for the right day and request wheelchair assistance - only 3 journeys, but it took me an hour to get all the right details in the right place, then my credit card declined and the website threw me out without completing the booking. Rang the credit card people and had to navigate my way through about 100 automated menus) and they said there's a lot of fraud on those kind of transactions at the moment so it was just a security check :evil: they took a load of security details and said give it 5 minutes and you'll be able to complete your booking :evil: Went back into Virgin East Coast website and luckily the journeys had saved so was able to resurrect my booking and complete it. Altogether it's taken an hour and a half of concerted effort to book 3 train journeys, and then I had to ring the assistance line to get them to amend the seats that had been automatically allocated because seemingly when you put in that you need wheelchair assistance it doesn't automatically assume that you want a wheelchair space, but allocates you seats in the middle of the carriage :evil: The chap on the end of the line was then a bit like "Yeah we can sort that, you'll get an email sometime", I'm not convinced. And then I had to come on here to rant about it :evil: It really has taken most of the morning just to book 3 train journeys!
I sympathise. Booking disabled assistance is one of my biggest pet peeves. The thing I hate most is that they can't guarantee it will be there unless you give them at least 24 hours' notice, so if you happen to miss a train or even if you just bump into a friend and want to delay your journey home by an hour or two to give you time for a coffee, that's tough. And then there are the trains that are so packed as to be inaccessible, even if you've booked your seat; times when the assistance doesn't turn up anyway; and worst of all, people who think you're unreasonable for expecting such a thing. I remember reading a Guardian article by Tanni Grey-Thompson in which she talked about having to throw her folded wheelchair off the train and then crawl off as there was no one to help her, and the comments section was full of people going, "Well, disabled people always say they want to be treated equally, and no one helps me either when I get off the train!" That was a few years ago and thinking about that comments section still makes me ranty. :lol:
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed May 11, 2016 1:37 pm

I've delivered the same training a lot of times now, 22 of them within this organisation, and I get consistently amazing feedback for it (9.4/10, n>500). So you might want to bear that in mind when you come up and tell me how to do the training better, and how I've pitched it all wrong. And then, when I explain this to you, you might want to consider whether anonymous feedback forms for a trainer who explicitly asks people to be honest in which people a) consistently rate how much they hate some of the venues and b) give examples of what they enjoyed and how it will change their practice really are "just saying it to please you, they'd say that for anyone".
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

astra

Post by astra » Wed May 11, 2016 3:39 pm

lingua_franca wrote:
astra wrote:Booking train tickets online, trying to ensure I book the right ticket for the right day and request wheelchair assistance - only 3 journeys, but it took me an hour to get all the right details in the right place, then my credit card declined and the website threw me out without completing the booking. Rang the credit card people and had to navigate my way through about 100 automated menus) and they said there's a lot of fraud on those kind of transactions at the moment so it was just a security check :evil: they took a load of security details and said give it 5 minutes and you'll be able to complete your booking :evil: Went back into Virgin East Coast website and luckily the journeys had saved so was able to resurrect my booking and complete it. Altogether it's taken an hour and a half of concerted effort to book 3 train journeys, and then I had to ring the assistance line to get them to amend the seats that had been automatically allocated because seemingly when you put in that you need wheelchair assistance it doesn't automatically assume that you want a wheelchair space, but allocates you seats in the middle of the carriage :evil: The chap on the end of the line was then a bit like "Yeah we can sort that, you'll get an email sometime", I'm not convinced. And then I had to come on here to rant about it :evil: It really has taken most of the morning just to book 3 train journeys!
I sympathise. Booking disabled assistance is one of my biggest pet peeves. The thing I hate most is that they can't guarantee it will be there unless you give them at least 24 hours' notice, so if you happen to miss a train or even if you just bump into a friend and want to delay your journey home by an hour or two to give you time for a coffee, that's tough. And then there are the trains that are so packed as to be inaccessible, even if you've booked your seat; times when the assistance doesn't turn up anyway; and worst of all, people who think you're unreasonable for expecting such a thing. I remember reading a Guardian article by Tanni Grey-Thompson in which she talked about having to throw her folded wheelchair off the train and then crawl off as there was no one to help her, and the comments section was full of people going, "Well, disabled people always say they want to be treated equally, and no one helps me either when I get off the train!" That was a few years ago and thinking about that comments section still makes me ranty. :lol:
To be fair, it's so much better than it used to be. I've been a wheelchair user for 30 years this month (happy anniversary to me!!) and in the early days I attempted a couple of train journeys where I was hoiked into the guard's van and forgotten about, on one occasion having mail bags chucked in my general direction at one station we stopped at! I then didn't use a train for about 27 years, and only started using them when I wanted to do a couple of BPS courses in London and decided to be brave and take the train as it was going to cost the earth to park for a couple of days to attend a course. I've been surprised how possible and civilised it is nowadays, but the booking aspect drives me crazy, and like you say, heaven forbid your plans should change once you've booked it!!!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

astra

Post by astra » Thu May 12, 2016 11:40 am

And then you get an email saying that there isn't a wheelchair space available on either train you've booked and there'll be a booking charge to change your booking! Another half hour on the phone, mostly on hold and a bit of me saying "Well that's completely unfair" and we've now been upgraded to first class (seats only not first class services) at no extra charge. I mean really, they make it virtually impossible to book the damn tickets, then tell you you've done it wrong and need to pay to change it - I don't think so!

astra

Post by astra » Thu May 12, 2016 11:43 am

And they tried to say we'd have to pay for my daughter to come in the first class carriage with us as they could only authorise me and one companion to be upgraded. I asked who would be looking after my 15 year old daughter with learning difficulties and epilepsy whilst we were ensconced in first class and they relented, but only after leaving me on hold for ages. I mean really!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri May 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Ugh, Astra, that's a mess. I hope your trip was smooth in the end.

My rant for that night: people who leave their dog's unpleasantly slippery, squidgy, and smelly diarrhoea lying on the pavement for me to tread on in the dark need to be organised into forced labour battalions and sent out to scrape up dog poo with teaspoons! :evil:
- A.A. Milne.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat May 28, 2016 9:44 am

Agree 100%, Lingua! And I'm a dog owner! I hate the way some irresponsible owners tar us all with the same brush,