5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
nomnom

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by nomnom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:11 pm

1. The closer I am getting to the deadline, the more I am having to let go of everything else bothering me to focus on the course.

2. I need to remind myself I can only do so much. Effort from others is required too.

3. Holiday in 12 dayssss :mrgreen:

4. Why do I live in a place that is so cold that the air hurts my face? :shock:

5. Why please?! :evil:
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm

nomnom wrote: 4. Why do I live in a place that is so cold that the air hurts my face? :shock:
Agreed.... it's so cold out there!

1. The snow looks very pretty
2. The snow is also pretty awful.
3. I got to speak to my best friend this morning who is in a different country. So lovely to see her face!
4. Still no news from DClinPsy applications. I am still feel remarkably calm.
5. I am trying to feel relaxed with my days off and really hoping the snow doesn't stop my weekend plans!

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 pm

MindfulPsych wrote:
nomnom wrote: 4. Why do I live in a place that is so cold that the air hurts my face? :shock:
Agreed.... it's so cold out there!
It's still so cold but at least the blizzards have stopped!

1. Holiday next week - to say I cannot wait is an understatement. Be gone current life. At least for 5 days!

2. I am finding it hard to care as recently about things that I usually would. I think the last 3 years have taken so much out of me that I almost disconnected when things are in turmoil. Or maybe it's because I know I cannot lose my focus for anyone or anything for the next 3 months. Either way, its not nice. It doesn't feel like me.

3. I do have exciting things planned so if nothing else, those will keep me going. It is true that one can count on one hand the people that will continuously make an effort with you. I am blessed.

4. Loads of jobs out at the moment. I'm finding that I'm not interested. I'm not sure if that is because I want to wait to qualify or because I just want a break. Hmm.

5. I need to eat.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:26 am

1) 7.5 days left on placement 1. Feeling a weird mix of relief, anticipation and self-doubt.
2) I want to set aside time in (and out of) therapy to reflect on the last 6 months, and make this as 'good' an ending as possible.
3) So excited for two weeks off over Easter.
4) Work / life balance is still poor, but I'm pleased at the steps I'm taking. More planning needed!
5) Despite everything, I'm okay. I think it would help to remind myself of this more regularly. :wink:

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:20 pm

1.) My third-year students have turned in a disgraceful set of assignments and it's causing me to overinflate the marks of the 2:i students - read a 2:i assignment after a bunch of borderline fails and it feels as if it is a work of unparalleled genius. It's taking me ages to make sure that I'm interpreting the rubric correctly. As for the borderline fails...if I fail anyone they won't graduate with their cohort in summer, and I'd feel like the Wicked Witch of the West. So I'm doing my best to scrape marks from somewhere for people who are scoring 38 or so, just to get them up to a bare pass.
2.) Many students have clearly thrown this together on the deadline without doing any real preparation. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd tried hard and still got low thirds, but there really is no excuse for this given all the effort I put in to advising them on assignment prep. I'm actually feeling quite angry.
3.) Don't even get me started on the student who emailed me on the day of the deadline asking me to take into account that a book he really needed hadn't arrived from Amazon, attaching the purchase receipt as proof. He'd had six weeks for this assignment. He'd ordered the book two days before the deadline.
4.) On the plus side, a student who speaks English as his third language has got a comfortable mid 2:i. I'm happy for him. The language issues don't make it easy for him, but he works so hard, and it shows.
5.) I'm away on an academic writing retreat and so far it isn't as tranquil as I hoped. People are talking rather than writing and it's distracting. :evil: Then again, I'm on ClinPsy, so I can't hardly complain about being distracted when I do such a good job of distracting myself...
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:33 pm

1-4. Still no news from DClinpsy applications.... starting to wonder if they are all going to notify me on the same day.
5. It's Friday and this makes me happy :D

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 pm

1. Absolutely ecstatic about getting two interviews

2. Very nervous about interviews!

3. Wishing other people I know that deserve interviews, get/got interviews

4. The sun is coming out more and the days are generally lighter... this makes me very very happy

5. Hoping I can catch up on work over the next few days so I can enjoy my very well-earned annual leave

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 pm

1.) My salary is going to be pretty thin this month, because of the pensions strike at the universities. I'm very lucky I have got a bit of hourly paid lecturing at a post-92 uni, or I'd be struggling. This whole thing is worrying me and making me quite sad. Academia is precarious enough as it is for an early career researcher, and now I have to decide whether I want to keep on climbing this shaky ladder, working all hours in the hope of finally snagging a permanent job - that comes with a pension that's been cut to the bone? I don't think I'm a particularly money-driven person, but this isn't tenable in the long term.
2.) What else could I do, though? I could apply for the DClinPsy, but I know that realistically it would take me a few years to get on, if I got on at all. My experience is far too research-orientated. And the NHS under austerity isn't exactly free of the problems facing academia.
3.) I think need to think of a Plan B that isn't precarious and/or super-competitive.
4.) I turned 31 yesterday. Somehow it's bothering me that I've entered my fourth decade without a clear idea where I'm going.
5.) My mum baked me a lovely delicious cake. I'm going to have a piece and stop worrying. It will all be OK in the end.
- A.A. Milne.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 pm

1. Waiting to have universities confirm medical limbo won't affect interviews is nerve-wracking

2. Clearing House hasn't updated to reflect my Herts interview yet. Looking forward to it all matching the emails!

3. It took 11 hours for the annual leave to start feeling boring :lol: but I am still enjoying it, I just need to learn to relax better!

4. I really like my housemates, a lot

5. One day, maybe, I will learn to cook

markova

Post by markova » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 pm

1. It's spring! :) I can smell it in the air.

2. Flat-hunting in April is difficult, especially in a smallish and very expensive academic town that revolves around the university's academic year. :(

3. My PhD project keeps changing every time I meet my advisor. It feels like the work I am delivering in-between meetings is not even looked at, so I feel a bit disheartened right now. Looking at it more positively though, this is an excellent lesson in perseverance and also in becoming a bit more assertive.

4. Never ever will I get a wool carpet if I'm ever fortunate enough to have a place of my own. Can't seem to get rid of these pesky moths no matter how much we are hoovering and cleaning up.

5. I'm starting a new part-time honorary AP job soon. I wonder how I will manage to juggle all my responsibilities. It will my put my less than perfect organisational skills to the test for sure. :mrgreen:

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:52 am

1.) I am getting a furry antidepressant, aka a cat!!! :D :D :D She has got a splotch of dark fur the exact shape of a saddle on her back, and the rest of her looks as if she came of worst in a battle with an ink bottle. I've never seen a cat with such markings. I'm calling her Lottie.
2.) Just the prospect of having an animal to take care of has made me less stressed overnight.
3.) I don't like being on strike. I worry about all the work I'm missing.
4.) I think I've annoyed my cello teacher by having to rearrange so many lessons and I feel a bit bad.
5.) Sleeptime, I think.
- A.A. Milne.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 am

1.) One of my undergrads plagiarised an assignment worth a big proportion of his grade and he's being formally investigated for academic misconduct. When he heard about this he sent me such a snotty email, demanding that I "meet him at my earliest convenience" to explain why, because "this feedback is disappointing to say the least". Excuse me?! I am a young female lecturer, and I am having a hard time believing he would have written to an older male colleague in this way. Or any male colleague, come to think of it.
2.) Lively and interesting board meeting at the mental health charity where I'm a trustee tonight. I'm really excited about the plans we've got for the coming year, and the fact that we've managed to snag a nice bit of funding from the CCG.
3.) I've bought a cosy plush basket for my impending cat. I don't know why I bothered, as she's a cat, and this means that she will want to sit a.) in any old box or bag that's lying around or b.) wherever I want to sit myself. At least she will have something nice to ignore when she gets here.
4.) I have deadlines mounting. My manuscript, a pre-circulated conference paper, and a book chapter, all due within two weeks. I can do this.
5.) ...I will start doing it right after I wake up. Hot water bottle, tea, bed.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:51 am

1. Nice that I've had such positive interactions on twitter recently, and such a positive response to my latest blog.
2. Got back to the gym this week for the first time in nearly 3 years, since a minor RTA and a cascade of minor health issues
3. Good to be feeling healthy again, having more energy and being more active - amazing what some iron can do!
4. Just secured a small commissioned project that means we can take on a short-term member of staff who applied to us as a volunteer in a paid capacity instead :)
5. Hoping to hear back about my planning permission soon.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:29 am

1.) A second student who is unhappy with his grade sent me an email so arrogant that it beggars belief. "I deserve a high mark" is in there. He also calls me unjust. You'd think I'd sent him to a gulag instead of giving him a 2:ii.
2.) WHAT.
3.) I take back what I said about my current career path being too research-orientated for clinical. Managing some of these students' combative reactions has been one of the trickiest things I've ever had to do in terms of interpersonal skills, and I worked in an adolescent PICU.
4.) This is definitely gendered. Two girls are also concerned about their grades, but their emails asked if they could meet to discuss what they could do to improve for next time and thanked me for my time. The disappointed guys, meanwhile, have ridden in on some very high horses.
5.) My upstairs neighbour has their TV on AGAIN. At almost one in the morning.
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 pm

1. Holiday went too quick and I'm back in the cold too soon...

2. I am tired. I've been back a week but all I want to do is sleep!

3. I have too much to do. I want to press pause on life but alas, I need to get moving with my uni work - 91 days to go!

4. Should probably start eating on a daily basis, coffee consumption is through the roof and I cannot afford to be ill...

5. Breathe. I got this...right?!