How much does your commute cost you?

For anything not related to psychology
mr_tippy

Post by mr_tippy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:37 pm

This thread is horrifying. I love moving about like a nomad but the idea of travelling 2.5 hours for a job, or 120 miles.... simply never.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
h2eau

Post by h2eau » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm

I think my worst commute as an AP was only like 40 mile return trip but I paid about £200 a month in bridge tolls, so ended up spending about £360 a month on travel on Band 4 salary. At the same time my OH was commuting the other way - 1 hour train journey plus 20 minute walk with a cost of £230 a month for his season ticket! So glad we both study/work/live in the same place now :)
We deem those happy who from experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them ~ C.G. Jung

noodle

Post by noodle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:20 am

I have a dream that one day I will work within 20 miles of where I live... I really hope it comes true one day!

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:44 am

I commute about 45 miles to work (i.e. 90-mile round trip). Costs about £10 per day based on current petrol prices, and takes anywhere from 50 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on traffic.

Apart from the cost of it, I actually enjoy my commute as I have a chance to mentally prepare for work as I get nearer to my base, and at the end of the day am able to pretty much empty my mind of work by the time I get home. I've also tried to use it to my advantage by listening to music, podcasts, etc. that I wouldn't normally find the time to do.

It IS possible to see the positive sides to commuting! Good luck all. :)

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:11 am

My "commute" at the moment is 1.5 miles.

I cannot even begin to describe to you how much I will miss this when I start a course 25 miles away, with a placement base 17 miles away, and a potential for being placed 60 miles away :twisted: :roll:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

jane doe

Post by jane doe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:41 am

My commute when I start in my post will be about 50 miles each way.

I'm not too fussed as I only have to go there and back - when I was training, I absolutely ragged the back-side off my car because off all the different travel, community-based work etc. - on my last couple of placements there were days when I'd be spending about 4-5 hours in the car :shock:

anna1983

Post by anna1983 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:11 am

This post makes me realise I am not alone!

For the last two years I have travelled 100 mile a day to work and back which takes between one hour fifteen, to one hour thirty.

I go straight to the gym for a couple of hours every night, so I don't get in until 7.30 -8pm. It definately affects the quality of your life, but after two years I am so used to it it has become normaility. Generally, I struggle more when I have been out drinking at the weekend, the drive Mon is a killer (like today!)

I have a good car (A3 1.9 TDI) so it's a workhorse so does the job, but the fuel is killing me, not because of the car itself, because it's very economic, but because of the fuel prices. It takes about 50 quid a week at the moment, and that just does me to work and back. I try not to drive much at the weekend! (I am a B5).
Live as though you were to die tomorrow, learn as though you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi.

nettyb

Post by nettyb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:25 am

My last job required a commute of 110 miles per day which would normally take 1 1/2 hours both ways. However, this was 98% motorway travelling and so could be up to 4 1/2 hours depending upon accidents etc. In the year I worked there there were 4 days where I got to work at lunch time after having set off at 7.15am. It used to cost me £60 a week in diesel, and if there was travel in between bases then I'd need two tanks in a week and not just one. I did this for a year and had the opportunity to stay in the job but I decided that my complete and utter exhaustion just wasn't worth it. I also started to really dislike motorway driving after having two near misses when other cars seemed to aim for me, one almost swiped me off the road. Good job I was alert in the morning and not on the way home at the end of the day!

My commute now is 5 minutes in the car and 15 minutes on foot. The change to my quality of life has been amazing, although at first I had no idea what to do with all my spare time!

anna1983

Post by anna1983 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:31 am

I think I am going to look at this thred everyday for comfort! Ha Ha
Live as though you were to die tomorrow, learn as though you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi.

Tiggerman

Re: How much does your commute cost you?

Post by Tiggerman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Interested to know how long would people be willing to travel for an unpaid post.... i've commited to a 2 day a week post that is 47 miles each way..... with tolls amounting to £3.30 each way..... ?

Trying to decide if I'm taking the whole experience idea too far....
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:10 pm

It's all down to choice, but I can't believe the distance some people travel and the cost they pay! Some people travelling 2-4 hours a day, crazy. Must heavily impact upon quality of life. I would never travel more than one hour to get to work and would never pay some of the amounts mentioned, better things to spend my money on! Although I can't do it properly at the moment due to medical reasons, normally in the evenings I train for an athletics club and need to be back handy to do that.

Fortunately my clinic is 10 minutes in a taxi, which is paid for, so I travel for 20 minutes a day and it costs be zip! My job before that, 45 mins each way, spend about £2.50 per day.

As for voluntary posts, no way would I be travelling huge distances and spending tons on travel, but everyone is different I guess, so some will.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Goats

Post by Goats » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 pm

I used to do 90 e/way for a year, I now do about 4 e/way.

90 miles used to take me around 1 hour 40 minutes by car.

4 miles takes me around 45 minutes by bus.

Both are infuriating.
Learn to think for yourself

mali

Post by mali » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Wow hats off to you guys who work hard and travel so far. I have always been lucky and I won't even apply for a job more than 20 miles away! Currently I travel 20 mins or less by tube £116/month. The last job I had i would drive 15 mins on the dual carriage way and use free hospital parking-cooler than public transport so driving was relaxing. I can't afford the travel time as I like to be home most days before half 5 to pick up my kids! It's exhausting enough looking after them I hope to never travel that far. So im lucky I guess.

Carebear

Post by Carebear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:53 am

Goats wrote:I used to do 90 e/way for a year, I now do about 4 e/way.

Both are infuriating.
I walk just under 4 miles to work and it takes around 50 mins. When it's raining, I take the tube for 30 mins, far more infuriating. Might walking be an option? Or cycling?

Goats

Post by Goats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 am

Carebear wrote:
Goats wrote:I used to do 90 e/way for a year, I now do about 4 e/way.

Both are infuriating.
I walk just under 4 miles to work and it takes around 50 mins. When it's raining, I take the tube for 30 mins, far more infuriating. Might walking be an option? Or cycling?
Yeah I cycle sometimes, but if it's wet or really hot (as it has been most days since I started the job), even the bus is preferable!
Learn to think for yourself