How much does your commute cost you?

For anything not related to psychology
RIS

Re: How much does your commute cost you?

Post by RIS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 am

I used to drive 40 minutes, pay for a days worth of parking and then get the luas (Irish tram) for 20 minutes the rest of the way into work. It ended up costing me about 220 euro (£190) a month. I quickly got fed up however and moved apartment. Now I have a 7 minute walk :) My new job which I'm starting in a few weeks will be a 6 minute walk away :)
I can't tell you how much having the mornings and evenings free of a long commute have improved my QOL.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
foreveryoung

Post by foreveryoung » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 pm

I used to walk back from work, like 4 miles, and saving the money on the bus, just paying in the morning. But then when I got relocated, it's too far to walk, so I have to spend around 40 quid on a monthly transport card or risk being caught and fined (I'm not good travelling without a ticket, I'm always so nervous). I would love to cycle, but can't really afford a bike right now, nor would I have anything to do with it when I move again. Wish I could just walk everywhere, I'm so fond of walking.
"Faith is love taking the form of aspiration."
William Ellery Channing

CycleChic

Post by CycleChic » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:34 pm

When I worked in the commercial world (pre-psychology days) I used to live in Glasgow and work in Edinburgh and that could be a horror of a commute......it's only 40 miles but would regularly take an hour and a half or two hours!

More recently, in my past couple of RA jobs I had a monster commute of less than a mile! :D I could walk it in 15mins or cycle it in 5mins.....sheer bliss!

In my current AP post I have a 15 mile drive that takes about 25 minutes, so that's not too bad.

And when I start the course in September, I will have a 43 mile drive, which hopefully will take about an hour. I'm estimating that the petrol costs will be about one full tank (circa £65) a week. And to offset that I rent out the spare room in my apartment to a friend and the money that brings in will pay for my travelling expenses and leave my salary to myself! :D

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:55 pm

one miiilllliiionnnnnn dollllllarrrrrrs [brings outwardly turned little finger to corner of mouth]

only kidding.... I think I spend about £5 a day in petrol. Add running costs of a smallish car and insurance at 500 odd quid.
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

sarahmilly

Post by sarahmilly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:08 pm

It's so nice to hear that there are other people doing a similar thing to me!

I work 150 miles away from home! I stop down there 3 nights per week, renting out a room, and I am lucky enough to be able to work from home 1 day most weeks. I too also hope that this pays off and I get onto the course this year as I have been doing this for about 15 months now and I do find it weary at times, especially on a monday morning. The cost also scares me as it is probably in the region of £450- £500 per month for the room and fuel (I do have a quite economical car) which is quite a large chunk of my salary. But talking to the other assistants in the area, and taking into account that we work in quite a rural area, this seems the norm!

I too dream of the day when I can live at home again, although I do work in a beautiful place with fantastic people and a great supervisor! :)

Goats

Post by Goats » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:13 pm

£2.20/day currently
Learn to think for yourself

katz

Post by katz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:58 pm

I travel just under 80 miles round trip and it costs me £12-14 per day roughly (depends on fuel costs, traffic etc).
It can take me anything from 50 minutes to 1 hr 20 in traffic each way.
I dont mind this too much and have just become accustomed to commuting after doing it for so long.

When i start training i could be travelling anything up to 2 hours each way and teaching will be about 2 hours drive away from my home.

I dream of walking to work!!

Toria

Post by Toria » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 pm

katz wrote:When i start training i could be travelling anything up to 2 hours each way and teaching will be about 2 hours drive away from my home.

I dream of walking to work!!
Oh katz, I'd love to walk to work too! I am dreading the long commute for the first teaching block :( But am looking forward to having someone to commute with! :D
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Baneen03

Post by Baneen03 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm currently commuting around 60 miles (return) a day which costs around £200 a month in diesel. I've been looking at some AP Band 4 posts and considering whether I can afford to drop my pay down AND continue to pay commuting costs (amongst other things).

Can anyone tell me what the take home pay for the bottom of Band 4 is please?

Loula

Post by Loula » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:21 am

Baneen03 wrote:I'm currently commuting around 60 miles (return) a day which costs around £200 a month in diesel. I've been looking at some AP Band 4 posts and considering whether I can afford to drop my pay down AND continue to pay commuting costs (amongst other things).

Can anyone tell me what the take home pay for the bottom of Band 4 is please?
I found a 50 mile round trip commute (in a petrol car) a complete pain when I was a band 4 as I felt I never had any money left at the end of the month! The take home salary after student loan and pension is just under £1150 per month. This website is pretty accurate for calculating the amount of tax you'd pay, take home pay etc.

missvanwilder

Post by missvanwilder » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 am

I have 2 jobs; one of which is 80 miles from my home (I do this 2.5 days a week, and in between the long journey to and from home, i stay with family 40 miles away from my work) and the other is about 110 miles in the opposite direction (i do this 2 days a week, but stay in a b&b over night in between). As a result I can't afford to pay rent and have to essentially live in my car/ stay at peoples houses!! Think it works out at about £100 a week :(

This feed has def made me feel a lot better - thank you!

Fingers crossed it all ends up worth it eh! :) x x x

Baneen03

Post by Baneen03 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Loula wrote:This website[/url] is pretty accurate for calculating the amount of tax you'd pay, take home pay etc.
That website is mint. Bookmarked! Thanks for that :)

Peach

Post by Peach » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:52 pm

missvanwilder wrote:I have 2 jobs; one of which is 80 miles from my home (I do this 2.5 days a week, and in between the long journey to and from home, i stay with family 40 miles away from my work) and the other is about 110 miles in the opposite direction (i do this 2 days a week, but stay in a b&b over night in between). As a result I can't afford to pay rent and have to essentially live in my car/ stay at peoples houses!! Think it works out at about £100 a week :(

This feed has def made me feel a lot better - thank you!

Fingers crossed it all ends up worth it eh! :) x x x
Wow that is dedication!
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

EvieG2017

Post by EvieG2017 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I live in outer London (Eastham) which is located in zones 3 & 4 for TFL commute prices, whilst I enjoy living in London I definitely still haven't got used to how pricey the commute is to reach zone 1 where I work in Liverpool Street :roll: A travel card costs me £47.30 weekly which equates to around £178 a month. Whilst many of you may not think this is expensive, I definitely feel it coming from my monthly take home wage each month.

I earn £20,000 which is actually considered above London living wage, once the tax and NI deductions are taken off I'm left with http://www.income-tax.co.uk/calculator/20000 £1407 every month to live on.
£1407 minus the travel expenses leaves me with about £1220, then my living expenses come out from this with my rent being £600. I'm left with about £620 a month!

Not sure if that's a living wage what do you all think?? Seriously considering moving from London as I'm struggling to live financially! :|

CellarDoor

Post by CellarDoor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Mine's just under 60 miles each way - but I am still training so I don't go in every day. Once qualified I'd like to work closer to home! It's tiring - really tiring, the commute, at times. I think I pay £50 a week on fuel.