Origins of your user name / avatar

For anything not related to psychology
CleverHans

Origins of your user name / avatar

Post by CleverHans » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 pm

I apologise if this has been done in the years since the site's inception but recently i've been admiring everyone's usernames and pictures they selected as their avatar, especially the more abstract ones. I thought it would be interesting to hear everyones' reasons for picking theirs.

I'll start off. I imagine most of you will have heard of Clever Hans but for those who don't know he was a German horse whose trainer adorably believed he could calculate simple maths problems. His trainer would give Hans a simple sum and Hans would stamp the ground with his hoof the right number of times (so for 3+3, Hans would stomp 6 times). Hans became a bit of a celebratory which caught the interest of behavioural Psychologists. However, sadly it was hypothesised that Hans was perhaps picking up on some form of behavioural cue from his trainer and others who observed him and so they tested this by having Hans "calculate" sums on his own which he could not correctly do. When Hans and his trainer were reunited Hans correctly counted out the right number again but from observing the owner's body language the behaviourists were able to see that his body language changed and he would tense up with anticipation at the point where Hans approached the right number. It was surmised from this that horses are very astute and pick up on various human behaviours.

The avatar picture was just an appropriate yet funny image I found when searching "Clever Hans" on Google Images.
"Self-belief does not necessarily ensure success, but self-disbelief assuredly spawns failure."

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
CleverHans

Re: Tell me about your avatar...

Post by CleverHans » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 pm

KitKat wrote:Goats, I read your post in the 'I like turtles' voice!
This made me laugh so much!

Goats, it's an internet meme. Some poor little boy got interviewed on TV and is a question, I can't remember what and he replies "I like turtles" in rather an amusing way, especially as it's unrelated to the question. It's rather funny!
"Self-belief does not necessarily ensure success, but self-disbelief assuredly spawns failure."

CleverHans

Post by CleverHans » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Also just wanted to point out how many of us love cats. Perhaps a Psychology thing? Perhaps coincidence. I love dogs and most other animals too but I have a total affinity with cats. Sometimes the pet / owner role is reversed with them and I find them fascinating.

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 pm

CleverHans wrote:Also just wanted to point out how many of us love cats. Perhaps a Psychology thing? Perhaps coincidence. I love dogs and most other animals too but I have a total affinity with cats. Sometimes the pet / owner role is reversed with them and I find them fascinating.
For handy cross-reference on the "psychologists/cats" topic, see this thread :)
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

Volta

Re: Origins of your user name / avatar

Post by Volta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Hmmm my user name is my name! :lol:

And my Avatar.. :D When I went traveling I got the chance to get really close to some tigers and one named Jennifer would purr everytime I rubbed her belly and jump about like an excited little kitten! (Granted I was absolutely terrified of this huge man-eating animal but she was soo much fun!) And this was the only fun-looking tiger I could find :D

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am

My username is from The Science of Sleep - a romantic, quirky film. "I hate it when you speak to me in different languages, it makes me feel schizometric." For some reason it stuck with me!

My avatar is obviously Button Moon. Mr Schizometric is a techie, and made it for me 9 years ago when he found out that as a child, I used to love the programme :) seemed to fit!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:31 pm

its my surname :P

BettySiaf

Post by BettySiaf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:42 pm

Mine is a photograph of a work of art. I don't remember the name of the artist. When I first saw the picture I liked the idea of a body which despite appearing non-alive (plastic) it still had life in it (blood)... :idea:
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Oooh, an old thread I haven't posted in.
Erm, my username is pretty much just what came up when I was trying to think of a name that was representative enough of me that I would remember it, but also did not match or resemble any of my other online personas. As it happened, I was doing a lot of firespinning at the time so firegal fit both of those criteria.
As for the avatar, that is indeed me, spinning fire, it's a long exposure photo that my friend took to capture the patterns made. I thought it was a nice photo and it has the added advantage of not showing my face so it stuck.

TL;DR I like fire.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:09 pm

firegal wrote:Oooh, an old thread I haven't posted in.
Nor me!! My user name is pretty self - explanatory - my husband is Japanese! My avatar is simply because I adore cats!