What's your other career plan?

For anything not related to psychology
eponymous85

Re: Alternative Career Paths - Fantasy/Real.

Post by eponymous85 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Hate to be a party pooper, but this was a popular topic a few years ago. I wonder if some lovely mod could add these posts on to the old thread (is that a thing?)
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ps0u413c

Post by ps0u413c » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Second real time of applying (although technically 3rd tim but with less that 3 months experience at the time it was somewhat of a waste in my opinion aplpying!). I have been on reserve for interviews which was encouraging and feel I am doing my best to tick the boxes to get an interview, as well as trying to demonstrate what I have learnt through good reflective practice on applications. I have not really considered when I would 'stop' applying, originally I would have thought 3-4 times and by then I should be getting interviews and on a course. However, as a psychologist said to me the other day, in the grand scheme of things, say if you applied for five years, even you get into your thirties, you still have thirty odd years of working still to go!

In terms of alternative careers, the real one I would give consideration to is a Psychotherapist - I love psychotherapy and derive real inspiration from reading books such as Irvin Yalom's Staring at the Sun. I think this is something I will seek further qualification in once qualified, but first I want to secure a qualification as a Clinical Psychologist, not only because this profession opens up more possibilities and avenues, but also the career progression and pay is better. I also like the idea of the training accrediting you in a research degree even though this is not my main area of interest. The issue with psychotherapy is the cost of training and perhaps my own (foolish) perception that I would just be settling for second best.

Reebex

Post by Reebex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm

I know what you mean about second best... I always thought that I would retire as a teacher after working in the field for the majority of my professional life, then I'd be in a position to share my knowledge and experience... Right now teaching is looking like a very attractive option. But I can't help the feelinging I would be taking the easy way out and would have failed somehow... The saying "those who can't, teach" keeps floating around my mind.

I should also mention that I suffer from almost debilitating SAD, which undoubtedly is adding to my bleak outlook.... All the more reason to move to Spain!!
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

endedupageek

Post by endedupageek » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:55 pm

I like this thread - it defintiely chimes with the way I'm thinking right now (having had my first rejection letter of this round of applications :( ).
I'm trying to change careers (at the ripe old age of 39) and become a psychologist having been a manager in the NHS for ages. I've spent the last 8 years doing a psychology degree and various other qualifications and trying to build up relevant work experience on a part-time and voluntary basis. It dawned on me yesterday that I could spend the next 8 years doing the same thing and I still might not get a place on a CP course. Even if I could make myself into a very attractive candidate there might still be 14 better candidates than me - it is so competitive.
I'm not sure I can continue to work with that uncertainty and I feel that I don't have all the time in the world as I'll soon be 40, which is on the late side to start training. What's important to me is to become an applied psychologist, working with clients (ideally in the NHS as I've already worked there for so long), planning care, working with MDTs, delivering therapeutic interventions and maybe one day being able to influence the psychological services that are available in my area. I think I could do all of those things with a counselling psychology doctorate, so I've decided to go the counselling psychology route and train part-time for the next 5 years!
Of course, I am making the assumption that I can get a place on the counselling psychology doctoral course, which may be much harder than I think...

Inara

Re: What's your other career plan?

Post by Inara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:58 am

My realistic plan B is Mental Health Nursing. I would still get to work in mental health, have a proffesional qualification that I can add more on to e.g. become a DBT therapist and its internationally recognised therefore fulfilling my one day fantasy of living somewhere hot and sunny.

My Fantasy career would be as a (highly paid) travel journalist or a luxury/exclusive hotel reviewer (not even sure if such a thing exists). I guess my current financial status and lack of holidays for the last 5 years has meant I am fantasising about careers that would mean I can travel all expenses paid style.
"No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing."
Anton Chekhov

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm increasingly preoccupied with the thought of a small tea room. I'd genuinely like to do it, and have lots of thoughts about how to make being there a lovely experience for people. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be financially viable in today's pile-em-up-flog-em-cheap environment, so I'd go bust in the first year, but I can dream....seed cake and mismatched vintage china, little striped paper bags to take away uneaten cakes, proper milk shakes with actual strawberries and cream, squashy floral chairs and umbrella stands, sufficient butter pats to feel luxurious, enough milk in the jug so you don't need to eke out the pot carefully. Oh, and chelsea buns and fat rascals and singing hinnies and homemade tart jams and bakewell tarts and gorgeous homemade muffin squelching with butter (there's a buttery theme here!), and little fondant fancies (just learnt to make those) and sticky parkin.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Loula

Post by Loula » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm

workingmama wrote:I'm increasingly preoccupied with the thought of a small tea room. I'd genuinely like to do it, and have lots of thoughts about how to make being there a lovely experience for people.
I am glad it's not just me! My village doesn't have a tea room so there is a gap in the market here, and I have even picked out which unit I would use if I had the chance (it is currently a beauticians, but it is a lovely old building with high ceilings and it is set back a bit from the road so I could have tables outside, plus it would get a lot of people going past each day). Someone on my course would use the other half of it as a knitting shop.

ScrabbleCat

Post by ScrabbleCat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:24 pm

(A) Personal shopper

(B) Open a social enterprise (possibly in the Lakes) which would be a cafe/bookshop run by service users looking to re-enter the workplace. Lovely cakes and books and possibly some private therapy to help pay the bills :)

Blackbubblequeen

Post by Blackbubblequeen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 pm

There are so many different careers i'd love to try my hand in... although at the top of the list is zoo keeper or alternatively I'd love to sell everything, move to the Scottish Highlands and run a pub. That'd be amazing!

CupcakeFairy

Post by CupcakeFairy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 am

workingmama wrote:I'm increasingly preoccupied with the thought of a small tea room. I'd genuinely like to do it, and have lots of thoughts about how to make being there a lovely experience for people. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be financially viable in today's pile-em-up-flog-em-cheap environment, so I'd go bust in the first year, but I can dream....seed cake and mismatched vintage china, little striped paper bags to take away uneaten cakes, proper milk shakes with actual strawberries and cream, squashy floral chairs and umbrella stands, sufficient butter pats to feel luxurious, enough milk in the jug so you don't need to eke out the pot carefully. Oh, and chelsea buns and fat rascals and singing hinnies and homemade tart jams and bakewell tarts and gorgeous homemade muffin squelching with butter (there's a buttery theme here!), and little fondant fancies (just learnt to make those) and sticky parkin.

If you do this, my backup plan will be to move back up to the north east and become your waitress, quick sharp ;)

astra

Post by astra » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 am

We often have these conversations over lunch at work and we're all qualified. Some of us have ideas around tea shops where we offer a brief therapeutic intervention over the counter, that would be called "Tea and Sympathy" probably, someone has the idea of a fish and chip shop along similar lines where you get your brief intervention while waiting for the chips to fry, this would be called "Haddock Enough?". I fancy buying a remote farm and converting it to deliver mindfulness retreats - I don't know what that would be called, I'll get back to you on it.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:06 am

astra wrote:We often have these conversations over lunch at work and we're all qualified. Some of us have ideas around tea shops where we offer a brief therapeutic intervention over the counter, that would be called "Tea and Sympathy" probably, someone has the idea of a fish and chip shop along similar lines where you get your brief intervention while waiting for the chips to fry, this would be called "Haddock Enough?". I fancy buying a remote farm and converting it to deliver mindfulness retreats - I don't know what that would be called, I'll get back to you on it.
The Art of Hen?

i'll get my coat..
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

CupcakeFairy

Post by CupcakeFairy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:45 am

Gilly wrote:
astra wrote:We often have these conversations over lunch at work and we're all qualified. Some of us have ideas around tea shops where we offer a brief therapeutic intervention over the counter, that would be called "Tea and Sympathy" probably, someone has the idea of a fish and chip shop along similar lines where you get your brief intervention while waiting for the chips to fry, this would be called "Haddock Enough?". I fancy buying a remote farm and converting it to deliver mindfulness retreats - I don't know what that would be called, I'll get back to you on it.
The Art of Hen?

i'll get my coat..
Hahahaha, my mum suggested my backup plan be an omelette cafe selling omelettes made with the eggs from her hens. I though I could call it 'The egg cafe of broken dreams' lol.

greenamber83

Re:

Post by greenamber83 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Loula wrote:I think I'd be:
Sweet shop owner- the oldie world sweet shop in my village is up for sale (complete with mail order system) and I think it would be really fun (although I would get fat)
Snap! Apparently when I was out with my sister one night and had *ahem* a little bit much to drink I started babbling on about how I'd like a lovely sweet shop which also sold really cute girly things. I seem to be getting much, much girlier as I get older - sure it's meant to be the other way around!

I would also like to be:
- An inventor. Solving problems is ace.
- A poet. I used to write a bit and enjoyed how it felt to put down lots of ideas in a nice, concise format.
- Jewellery maker / designer. I made my sister a necklace with various bits and pieces put together with glue and metal wire but I'd love to be able to do proper metal-working stuff.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Current plan B is to convert a vacant country house hotel or farm into living units and set up a community of likeminded people with a shared organic small-holding...
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com