Scottish independence

For anything not related to psychology
Valentina86

Re: Scottish independence

Post by Valentina86 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

oh I see what you mean now. He would initially in the first 18 months be heading the country. Yes this is true but we wouldn't be independent at that point. Not until March 2016 would we be independent.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
daydreambeliever

Post by daydreambeliever » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi Valentina, nice to have you back on the thread again :) yes your second post above is in line with what I meant. My understanding of what I've heard from the yes campaign is that Alec Salmond is unable to give answers to questions (e.g. currency) at this stage, because he says Westminster won't talk to him. I understand the "yes" camp are saying these negotiations would be taking place in the period between Sept 18th 2014 in the event of a "yes" vote and 2016 when they anticipate being in a position to move to Independence in real terms. If I have understood this correctly (and please do correct me if I haven't!) that means that whoever is the Scottish First Minister at the time of the "yes" vote has a really, really crucial task in negotiating the best deal for Scotland in Independence. That person I understand would be Alec Salmond. From what I've seen of the "yes" campaign, I'd worry about that. Obviously that's just my personal view based on the info I've gathered to date.

HedleyLamarr

Post by HedleyLamarr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 pm

daydreambeliever wrote:It is my understanding that Scottish independence would be very bad news from an academic perspective -

Scotland would currently stand to be ejected from the EU, and if this happened it would cause problems with retaining existing grants and securing future grants - securing grants is the lifeblood of academia and ceasing to have access to EU funding stream grants would be very problematic indeed for Scottish academia ..
So will you be voting yes this time?
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.