Can we name a plane?

For anything not related to psychology
miriam
Site Admin

Can we name a plane?

Post by miriam » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:23 am

I wondered whether people would be prepared to vote here to call the new thomson plane "optimism"? Apart from being a nice name, if it wins, I'd use it as a platform to promote mental health issues in the media.

If you feel enthusiastic you can vote on different devices, with different browsers and from different locations. And please ask friends and family to do likewise.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MarkM

Re: Can we name a plane?

Post by MarkM » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Voted! Thanks Miriam, I think this is a great and interesting idea. I wonder if you could give a few examples of how you'd use it in terms of raising awareness / promoting mental health issues? (:
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:56 am

Well, I guess for me the idea of improving mental health is only a valid goal and psychology/therapy is only a valid methodology where the more primitive needs in Maslow's hierarchy are already met. Like icing a cake, it only works when you have enough flour to have a cake to ice in the first place. So when the government want compulsory mental health treatment to allow people to claim benefits, as a solution to the epidemic of 'unnecessary' payments in incapacity benefit, I think that's a fundamental misreading of the evidence. People can only be happy and productive if they have meaning and hope in their lives. If people are stigmatised, shamed and punished for behaving as we would in their shoes, then how is therapy going to make them content and able to return to the workplace? If such substantial tranches of the population experience maltreatment, violence and deprivation then why is it surprising that the same proportion end up vulnerable and downtrodden? If refugees are stuck in primitive Calais camps or massive encampments in deprived arab states, no wonder they risk their lives to regain the hope of a better life.

So yeah, it's a big political issue for me about selective deprivation coupled with blaming the vulnerable and implying that socio-economic status is a reflection of an innate meritocracy, and that happiness is the reward for success rather than mainly something that is a natural consequence of having your basic human needs met.

I wanted to pick a name for the plane that didn't imply that people who can afford far flung holidays are the only ones who deserve relaxation, happiness, or time off from the tasks of daily life. I toyed with lots of phrases about spreading joy or paying it forward (in the sense of random acts of kindness), but couldn't find anything that was under 16 characters long. So I figured that if I had magical powers, optimism was what I wanted to give people. The hope that things can be better. Because people can do amazing things to improve their lives and the lives of others, provided they are not overwhelmed by the task, or ground down by the learned helplessness of having to graft whilst the governments the world over serve the greed of the wealthy and powerful.

I don't know how much chance I'd get to say any of that, even if the plane name won. But that was my thinking. At least I could link back to this thread, I suppose. And, whether this little idea happens or not, maybe between us we can find ways to have that conversation in a way that is heard through social media, despite the massive skew in the right wing press that selectively filters what reaches public awareness.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:49 pm

This looks like it is going to be a massive challenge, as we'd need over 12,000 votes to make the top five, as five campaigns to name the plane after children who have died have gained media exposure. Whilst I don't blame any parent from wanting their child commemorated, in terms of a message to other people that see the plane it doesn't mean that much. It is looking backwards, whilst I wanted a message that looked forward to see what we can do to change how people are feeling now. The only way we could make a success out of this would be if everybody here voted from as many devices as possible and shared with their friends, and ideally we could get some celebrity retweets, but we've only got about 10 days left...

BTW, I'm not after the prize. If my name were to win I'd raffle it or give holidays away to people who have experienced more adversity in their life than me, if that is within the rules.
Miriam

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:31 pm

Hey Miriam,

Thank you for the explanation. I really like the idea, and I definitely agree, particularly in terms of misguided government interventions!

Hmm, such a shame that the top-five are already such a way ahead due to media exposure :/ I also believe that a forward-looking message would be nice. However, even if you don't win, it's still worth to keep this idea alive. As you say, social media might be a good place to start (despite press filtering)!
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:56 pm

I've tweeted a few people that might care about mental health enough to retweet us and garner a few more votes. I guess that will determine whether this is worth persisting with.
Miriam

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 am

I tried to vote, but it said voting had ended (I've only just read this). Sounds like a great idea and I really hope it wins!
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)