Self-awareness and talking about yourself

For anything not related to psychology
ChipChip

Self-awareness and talking about yourself

Post by ChipChip » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 am

Hello,

Sorry for the long post/I'm actually not sure if I've put it in the right place.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books/activities around improving self-awareness. To explain... I had an interview for some volunteering at the weekend (with Cruse) and it was a strange experience for me that's made me question the way I think about/talk about myself. Not in a bad way - they seemed to see a lot of good character traits in me but they came out the long way around (through talking about my experiences and passion for Autism). I then came out with something completely stupid that probably made me seem like a complete idiot!!! But what it made me think was that interview wise I could with being more aware of my good qualities as I am very good at negative self talk/not being able to directly identify my skills.

Also in the interview we discussed my own personal experience of bereavement as I experienced parental loss as a child. This obviously made me emotional as it's left me with a lot of scars. I feel like I am very good at dealing with the distress of others but have difficulty disclosing my own distress/talking about my own life.experiences. I just wondered if anyone else felt like this/had some advice in terms of talking about personal experiences in interviews and not breaking down!

Thanks,
Chip :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Pixie

Re: Self-awareness and talking about yourself

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:49 am

Hi Chip

I don't have any books or activities to recommend but I wondered whether personal therapy might be helpful for you? I, too, experienced parental bereavement when I was younger but it wasn't until I had to have therapy as part of my training that I really dealt with grief and critical appraisal of self. I am now better equipped to talk about my own experiences so just thought maybe personal therapy might help you?

Pixie

ChipChip

Re: Self-awareness and talking about yourself

Post by ChipChip » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Pixie wrote:Hi Chip

I don't have any books or activities to recommend but I wondered whether personal therapy might be helpful for you? I, too, experienced parental bereavement when I was younger but it wasn't until I had to have therapy as part of my training that I really dealt with grief and critical appraisal of self. I am now better equipped to talk about my own experiences so just thought maybe personal therapy might help you?

Pixie
Thanks for your reply, I do think that personal therapy would be very helpful. It will have to be the new year now but I definitely need to look into it.

Thanks,
Chip