Junior doctor strike

For anything not related to psychology
eponymous85

Re: Junior doctor strike

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:21 pm

I don't know where things currently stand with the imposed deal, but the previous offer pre-imposition calculated that very few doctors would be worse off because they would implement pay protection for current junior doctors. The govt seemed to be relying on them selling out their future colleagues for their own financial comfort (a bit like consultants did a few years back), but this didn't happen; they refused.

I think Miriam's analogy is a great one, albeit lacking the idea that it took five unpaid years and tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt to train as said factory worker, and that this factory worker pays over a thousand pounds a year in professional and legal protection fees. The point that I like is that it highlights you sign up for a job on a certain set of terms and conditions, and if your employer tries to impose drastic changes on you without your consent that is legally and ethically dodgy, and you have the right to protest.

It's not just the overtime payment that they will lose, some specialties find it hard to attract and retain trainees so they pay a training supplement. If you are a trainee GP, like my husband, you will lose an additional 40% of pay for all GP placements (4 months first and second year, 12 months 3rd year). That is a really significant financial loss for our family.

I urge anyone to take a look at the sample rotas that have been produced for this new contract. Several of them already break many of the safeguards supposedly being implemented with this contract, eg total number of hours per week, number of consecutive weekends etc. And this is the airbrushed version released by the govt, in reality the standards are rarely met, and doctors end up working huge amounts of unpaid overtime, working exhausting shifts, missing important life events and never seeing their families. To say that now they won't even be financially compensated for that sacrifice is just awful.

And whilst it makes mathematical sense to compare these pay agreements and shift patterns to supermarket workers, can we please acknowledge that being a junior doctor is an AWFUL job, especially in these times. Jeremy Hunt has had the nerve to instigate an inquiry in to their low morale (as if he doesn't know the reasons). Suicide and poor mental health is on the rise amongst the profession. There is so much expected of them and they have such huge amounts of responsibility for people who earn around the same hourly wage as someone who works at Aldi (according to recent calculations of actual hours worked). They are expected to bear the emotional brunt of the work alone, and now are getting a consistent message from the govt and the press (and others!) that they should put up or shut up.

Now I think I'm going to have to leave this rant before I make myself cry. I'm so disappointed that compassionate, educated people could believe this. I'll be putting my daughter to bed alone tonight.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm sorry that my thread has had this impact on you, Miriam. I won't continue discussion of this point. I am open to discussion and receiving/sharing education about my developing opinion, but don't feel this is the correct medium through which to explore views further given the emotional consequences of this for other people. My apologies, of course, to anyone negatively affected by the thread. It is, of course, an emotional topic which arouses strong feelings in many of us.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:31 am

I think it is good to debate anything and everything. We shouldn't avoid the tough stuff or the times we disagree. I fully blame the situation for the emotional responses, not your discussion of it, workingmama.

And I'm unashamedly pretty left-wing. I think the current government, and the one before it, are systematically harming the most vulnerable people in society, and I've actively chosen to speak up about that. I'd rather we had decent health and social care, and chased corporation tax and tax avoidance, cut down on military expenditure and had more progressive taxation than protected the self interests of powerful millionaires. I vote against my own self-interest, because I believe the government is responsible for caring for everybody's needs, and I should vote for what is best for everyone and not just for me.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

astra

Post by astra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:36 am

I'm with you there Miriam. I'm really glad the doctors are standing up to the government, they are one of the few groups of people who have any semblance of power in our society nowadays other than the wealthy Tory cronies. I feel some cognitive dissonance regarding the NHS, I wholeheartedly support it and believe in it, yet I'm leaving it next week to go fully private. I might be an entrepreneur, but I'll never be a Tory :?
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:09 pm

It was certainly never my intention to stifle debate, and I don't want to silence people. I think in principle it's good to be challenged so that you get an opportunity to explain your position. Like miriam said, the situation gets the blame for my emotional reaction, not you (despite what I've written).

On a more positive note, I got to work early today and gave the freezing cold picketers a big stack of snacks and hot drinks from our teeny department to show our support. They were really touched and appreciative (and possibly the quietest and best behaved picket line I've ever observed!)
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Obviously, I dowsed the picketers in ice-cold water and threw turnips at them, before lighting up a warm fire for myself made from the clothes of shivering migrant children, reading my copy of the Torygraph, ticking my 'Brexit' vote, and phoning my buddy, Jeremy Hunt. :roll:

Moving on...
Fail, fail again, fail better.