Miriam's consumer wall of shame

For anything not related to psychology
miriam
Site Admin

Miriam's consumer wall of shame

Post by miriam » Wed May 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Sometimes companies are so awful I want to warn other people about them. So this is my consumer wall of shame:

1) Northwood lettings (Newport pagnell branch, it is a franchise so other branches may vary) - took an enormous cut of the rent for their "platinum service" which didn't in fact mean they did anything they were contracted to whatsoever. Put in a tenant who trashed the house and didn't see this as their problem, even though their system means I let to them and they sub-let to the tenant. Also claimed to record telephone calls without any announcement they were doing this or permission to do so. Had to issue court proceedings to get them to accept fault. By the end they claimed they didn't even manage properties to try to wriggle out of responsibility. Outcome: They repaid all fees, plus compensation for damages. Avoid.

2) Removal Claims service They insure removal companies whilst you move house, and make promises to protect your belongings and to reimburse the full value less an allowance for wear and tear where appropriate. In reality claim that value is what you'd get if you sold the item on eBay, are thoroughly unpleasant to deal with and pay out nothing that would allow you to replace that item (eg immaculate £1400 sofa is in their eyes worth £600 once it has been smashed during the move). Avoid.

3) Ageas Law These are a horrible battery farm style law firm that deal with compensation claims after car accidents on behalf of your insurance. They only take guaranteed win cases, eg being rear ended, and yet charge £200/hour+ for unqualified paralegal assistants who change every few months to not even follow up basic information gathering for your case. Fail to deal with complaints, and to make it transparent that you can leave at any point and appoint someone different. If you have the misfortune to be allocated to them by your insurer use your right to refuse and appoint someone local who you can communicate with, not some awful massive scale call centre who do the absolute minimum. Avoid. Same with Irwin Mitchell they earn money from other people's misfortune whilst doing the absolute minimum.

4) Benson's Beds Massively overpriced, poor quality bed retailer with no customer service. Had to take them to court to get them to refund on a bed that their delivery staff tore whilst carrying in. Also have staff with silly titles who think they are above UK consumer law.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
sarahg

Re: Miriam's consumer wall of shame

Post by sarahg » Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 pm

I think this is a little unfair/unhelpful. Unless the sole purpose is just to vent...

Firstly, I am not going to remember to look on a random thread on a clinical psychology forum for a very specific company (especially if it is just one persons views). Secondly, google in general, and google reviews (or TripAdvisor) is more helpful in regards to getting a large array of opinions!

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 pm

I think it is a great idea! Especially to vent!
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

FerryGlide

Post by FerryGlide » Wed May 25, 2016 8:38 pm

I'd like to vent about HM Passport Office, which I know isn't exactly a consumer service, but sort of. Anyway, I booked a one day premium service to get my name changed on my passport. It was advertised as a service where you could change your name on your passport. They took £128 from me over the internet as I booked my appointment, indicating that it was for a name change. Only when I get there do they say, "Oh, we can only change it from your maiden name to your married name when you bring your marriage certificate". Why on earth can't they change it back to your maiden name if you bring your birth certificate, your marriage certificate and your divorce certificate? No, that takes one week. Why on earth do they not mention this in written guidance or anywhere on the website? Would it be beyond their ingenuity to programme a pop up box when you input that you're changing your name and choosing the one day premium service. It could say "We only do this for people who got married. You divorced losers have to wait a week, so don't be be giving us your money and wasting your day".

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed May 25, 2016 8:45 pm

Borrowed Cone wrote:I think it is a great idea! Especially to vent!
Seconded! And I would like to add Admiral Insurance to Miriam's list. Some weeks back, someone "keyed" my husband's very new, very expensive, car doing extensive damage to the bodywork. As it was a Friday, we couldn't get a quote for repairs until the Monday, but rang the insurance company to check what the procedure would be IF we needed to claim, making it crystal clear we were NOT claiming yet! The cost of repair was lower than the excess, so we didn't make a claim. HOWEVER, Admiral then told us we had lost our no claims bonus because they deemed our enquiry was akin to starting a claim!! We have cancelled the insurance with them and taken a policy with another company who, contrary to what Admiral would have had us believe, were happy to accept we had made no claims in the past 15 years. NOT a good experience!!

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed May 25, 2016 10:50 pm

sarahg wrote:I think this is a little unfair/unhelpful. Unless the sole purpose is just to vent...

Firstly, I am not going to remember to look on a random thread on a clinical psychology forum for a very specific company (especially if it is just one persons views). Secondly, google in general, and google reviews (or TripAdvisor) is more helpful in regards to getting a large array of opinions!
It probably isn't intended for members here to remember. As well as venting, the site is google indexed, so if somebody is looking up a particular company, they might also hear a consumer opinion on them.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare