100%
Leave
No votes

Total votes: 52

BlueCat

Poll: EU In or Out?

Post by BlueCat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:52 pm

EU: Remain or Leave?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

BlueCat

Re: Poll: EU In or Out?

Post by BlueCat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:27 pm

It's anonymous, obviously :-)
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 pm

BlueCat wrote:It's anonymous, obviously
Not that I'm worried that people know I'm voting "Remain"!! Whatever the result (and obviously I hope we stay!!) I hope it's the last we see/hear of Nigel bloomin' Farage!!

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 am

Yay I was opening somebody would do a poll on here! Although the demographics are fairly skewed but still, I have become fascinated with opinion polls in the last few months!

Loula

Post by Loula » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 am

Ha, love how decisive the poll is at the moment!

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:49 am

Whilst I have my own concerns with the EU (predominantly around accountability/the democracy of it) I have been completely underwhelmed by the Leave campaigns frothy vaguesness and complete 'head in sand' denial of anything that doesnt support their view - Lukewarm vote from me.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:25 pm

I was just thinking - has anyone seen stats on how many carers/support workers in care homes in the UK are from the EU? Anecdotally, in most of the care homes I've worked in (LD and physical disabilities alike) there have been a high proportion of workers from Poland, Latvia, Slovakia and Romania. It's not a high profile enough job for the government to make any kind of immigration exemptions, so it leaves me wondering how a Brexit would affect the care industry.

Edit: Answered my own question
Studies from the King’s College London Social Care Workforce Research Unit showed that around a fifth of the 1.5m care workers in the UK are not from the country, highlighting the reliance of the care industry on staff from around the world.
source

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm hoping the bookies are right and the polls are wrong. The prospect of Leave clinching a majority is terrifying, as it plays into the hands of the most awful right-wing figures around at the moment (and is actually against the best interests of most of the people who are being persuaded by fear and prejudice to vote for it).
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

FormandPatience

Post by FormandPatience » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:50 pm

astra

Post by astra » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm hoping this poll is right and the poll done by the appliance repair man who came round yesterday to fix my freezer is wrong. Apparently we were the first people he's spoken to in several weeks who had expressed a wish to stay in the EU. He was quite shocked that anyone would want to. He's one of those Yorkshire types who has never quite got over the massive influx of South East Asian people to West Yorkshire in the 1960s. He probably didn't vote for Jo Cox!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:52 pm

astra wrote: He's one of those Yorkshire types who has never quite got over the massive influx of South East Asian people to West Yorkshire in the 1960s. He probably didn't vote for Jo Cox!
:( we have leave posters everywhere here in Devon, mostly seems to be based on the "take back our country" "bloody immigrants stealing our jobs" rhetoric, which I find astonishing given the complete lack of immigrants in the area (certainly compared to elsewhere in the country, but then again some parts of Devon you're an immigrant if you don't have 5 generations in the local graveyard as far as some are concerned). I suppose the unknown will always be far scarier than the known.
The thing that gets me, which was only recently pointed out to me, is that it's these kinds of rural areas who stand to lose the most where funding is concerned because of how much the EU puts into the British farming industry, and the fact that EU funding is reasonably evenly distributed unlike a lot of Government funds these days which seems to get disproportionately focused in London and the South East.
Scary times indeed.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Yup. Rural Leicestershire the same - Leave posters everywhere, yet compared to Leicester City, overwhelmingly white british.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:41 am

same with most of suffolk - didnt see a single 'remain' poster this entire time.

so...we're out (and prime minster is off too) - and the economy has predictably plummeted!

(and Leave had already started rowing back on that whol £350 million for the NHS stuff...)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:46 am

Oh dear. Well than chaps, against all hopes, this seems to be what we are faced with. What do we think we can do to be of the most use to our clients in the uncertain times ahead?

I liked Mark Carney's wee speech this morning from the bank of England (although his reading of the autocue wasn't all that fab). I liked that he tried to dispel fears, and to sound very calm about being able to face worst case scenarios. So, (if this is all I have in my power to do), I shall attempt to appear very very calm about this. :shock:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Peach

Post by Peach » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:17 pm

I'm so gutted about the outcome of this referendum. I'm not surprised but still gutted nonetheless.
I'm so glad I was only working half a day today I've been bursting to talk about it but the office is not the place, I get the sense most of the people I work with will have wanted this result. It's made for a very awkward work day.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.