Talking about complex ideas in simple words

For anything not related to psychology
miriam
Site Admin

Talking about complex ideas in simple words

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:12 am

Can you describe your thesis topic and findings using only the thousand most common words in the English language? Can you tell us about your hobbies or what your job involves in only approved words?

Write your text using the up-goer five text editor and then post the results!
I am a doctor of talking to people about problems, this is not a usual doctor who tries to fix broken parts of your body, as I am a talking doctor who helps with the mind. I made this place to let other people who are talking doctors or want to be talking doctors learn about how to do that, and make friends and talk with each other. So this is a talk place for people who talk to other people as their job to try to make them feel more happy, to worry less, or to understand things about themselves or others better. You don't have to go to where other people are to talk to them, you can talk to them from your house or your work.

To work as a talk doctor you need to learn a lot of things from study and work. Then you need to write a form about it (with few words) to show how you are ready to learn more and become a talk doctor. Lots more people want to be talk doctors than there are places to learn to be one, so lots of people worry how they can get a place. If people can't get a place to do what they want then they get sad, and some think that it is not a just way to decide. But most people who get a place think that it is a good way and that it works, because the people who learn almost all get to work as talk doctors and are good at it.

One problem is that lots of the people who get to learn to be talk doctors are young white ladies who have families with some money. It would be good to have more people who are men, not white, or from families with no money learn to be talk doctors. But it is hard because those people might not get the same chances to learn from study and work, and they might not know much about talk doctors or want to be one, because they have not seen one that looks like them.

The nice thing about the place to talk about being a talk doctor that I made is that anyone can use their computer to go on it, and no-one knows if they are a lady or a man, young or not so young, white black or brown, or how much money they have or their family has. Everyone has the same chance to learn from what is written there.

We can also make friends and have some fun!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Talking about complex ideas in simple words

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:42 pm

My thesis topic:

I work with children in places that are far away, where people fight. Some of those places are like hell. Bad things happen to children there. I study their stories. I want to find out how we can help them - and also how they can help to change their situation and make life better, with no fighting or hate. Children can have good ideas about this and we need to listen to them more. We need to take them seriously when they speak.

Stories are like art, and it makes me happy that we can bring something so beautiful out of hell. I hope the stories are a track to a better place.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:36 pm

My work:

I work with young people who get scared when eating. They worry about food and how their bodies look. They also feel sad and scared a lot. Their bodies become too small and don't work well. It can cause death. Often, they stop seeing their friends because they are so sad and tired and sick. They come to our hospital each day so they can eat more food and so their parents learn how to give them more food at home. We talk a lot about their problems to help them feel better: we talk to them on their own, with their family, and with other young people who are scared of food. We sometimes take them out to eat or give them fear foods like butter to help them feel less scared about food. It's hard for them at the time and sometimes they cry, but later, they see it was a good idea.

When they eat more, they are sadder and more scared at first...but then they start to smile more, see their friends more often, and go back to school. They learn to enjoy life again, slowly, over a long time. It's hard work, but when the young people get better, it makes the hard work seem great and really quite easy. Some days, I feel tired, angry about the pain the young people feel, and I don't feel as much hope; but usually it's a great job that makes me smile and I feel like I am helping people be happier in a small but important way.

I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:06 am

Anyone else up for the challenge?
Miriam

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:44 pm

my quick go at describing working in a personality disorder team:
i work with people who have had a really bad start in life, where other people have sometimes hurt them. This means that sometimes they feel really sad, scared, angry or confused and will often hurt themselves in order to get others to help them with how they feel.

I help people by talking to them, helping them to know why they feel the way they do and to think of different ways to get help so that they don't have to hurt themselves. It can be a hard job because these peoples stories are very sad and they need a lot of help which can make people feel very tired, but i like it.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm

An attempt to describe what I do when assessing someone who might have dementia:

When people get older, they can become a bit more forgetful than they were when they were young. This can happen to all of us, and it's not usually anything to worry about. But sometimes, people get VERY, VERY forgetful! Their memory can get so bad that they might forget what you told them only a few moments ago or they might forget who their children are. This sort of forgetfulness can sometimes be a sign that the person is very unwell with something called dementia.

In my work, I try to help find out if people do have dementia or if there is another reason for them being so forgetful. Because, you see, not all forgetfulness is because of dementia. Sometimes it's caused by people being very sad or very scared, and sometimes it's caused by them having another illness that we can make better. Sometimes, people think normal forgetfulness is a sign they have dementia and the worry they feel because of this can make them forget even more!

People come to see me and I ask them lots of questions, get them to do lots of puzzles and quizzes and find out as much as I can about them. Then I can use all the information I get and, together with other doctors, try to work out what is making the person forgetful. We then decide how we are going to help the person.

Sadly, we can't make people with dementia better, but if we think the person does have dementia we will try to help them cope with it. We might also help their families who could also be very upset by what is happening. If we think the person has something we can make better we will give them the right treatment to make them better so that they're not so forgetful any more and can live a happy life again.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:14 am

Geishawife wrote:An attempt to describe what I do when assessing someone who might have dementia:

When people get older, they can become a bit more forgetful than they were when they were young. This can happen to all of us, and it's not usually anything to worry about. But sometimes, people get VERY, VERY forgetful! Their memory can get so bad that they might forget what you told them only a few moments ago or they might forget who their children are. This sort of forgetfulness can sometimes be a sign that the person is very unwell with something called dementia.

In my work, I try to help find out if people do have dementia or if there is another reason for them being so forgetful. Because, you see, not all forgetfulness is because of dementia. Sometimes it's caused by people being very sad or very scared, and sometimes it's caused by them having another illness that we can make better. Sometimes, people think normal forgetfulness is a sign they have dementia and the worry they feel because of this can make them forget even more!

People come to see me and I ask them lots of questions, get them to do lots of puzzles and quizzes and find out as much as I can about them. Then I can use all the information I get and, together with other doctors, try to work out what is making the person forgetful. We then decide how we are going to help the person.

Sadly, we can't make people with dementia better, but if we think the person does have dementia we will try to help them cope with it. We might also help their families who could also be very upset by what is happening. If we think the person has something we can make better we will give them the right treatment to make them better so that they're not so forgetful any more and can live a happy life again.
I wondered how "dementia" got into the top 1000 words, but it seems you didn't check your text with upgoer5 (link in top post). You'd have to rewrite it without words like dementia, forget/forgetful/forgetfulness, unwell, illness, puzzles, quizzes, cope, sadly, upset, information - hence it being a huge challenge!
Miriam

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 am

My current job

I work in a team that tries to help old people when they have problems with their memory, and can't live in their own homes. These people can forget their friends and family or how to talk, eat or get dressed. Their bodies are often sick too, and they need help to look after themselves. Sometimes, when they don't know what is happening, they can feel scared, angry or sad and this can make them act in ways that people don't understand. My team tries to help the carer that work with them to understand. We look at a lot of things -if they are sick or in pain, what they did in their life, what they can or can't remember, what the care home is like, and put all these things together so we can know what the person is like. We then can help the people that work with the older person to understand who that older person is, why they act like they do, and how we can best help them. This can take a long time, but it I really like doing it.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 pm

My daughter's teacher, whose face is partially paralysed following a stroke. Based on the conversation I had with my daughter when she asked me why her teacher's face was weird:

My daughter's teacher has a face which only works on one side. This is because her body went a bit wrong and the blood stopped going to her brain for some time. Brains need blood all the time without stopping. If the blood does stop, the brain will stay a little bit broken even after the blood starts going there again. This means that one half of her body doesn't work as well as it should. When she smiles only one half of her mouth goes up and one of her eyes is always half closed. She is a very nice lady.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Thesis:

I looked in to the question of whether or not people with one type of thing growing in their brain have the same feeling and problems as people with other types. The people I worked with often get ignored, where as other people with something growing in their brain get the help they need. It turned out that the people I met with had lots of the same kinds of problems as everyone else with things growing in their brain. Knowing that helped me to tell the doctors that they needed to be helping the people i met with a bit more, and that we all needed to work together to make a better plan for them to get help before things went wrong in their lives. Some of the things we needed to help with were; problems with their thinking, feeling very sad, feeling alone, feeling very tired, and feeling confused by what was happening to them. One of the biggest reasons that they were confused was that not many doctors were telling them about what could happen to them, once they got the thing growing in their brain taken out. Because they had not been told up front, they did not expect to have problems, and so were very scared and confused after. I talked to a lot of doctors after finding this out, and we were able to start making much better plans for people with this kind of brain problem.

That was flipping difficult without using the word tumour :P
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:58 pm

This would be a wonderful resource for creating literature to work with children and people with learning difficulties/disabilities!
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:36 am

BenJMan wrote:Thesis:

I'd have gone with "bad part that shouldn't be there" for tumour :)
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:19 am

Bad bit of brain that shouldn't be growing there?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:31 am

BlueCat wrote:
BenJMan wrote:Thesis:

I'd have gone with "bad part that shouldn't be there" for tumour :)
I think growing was important to distinguish from lesions or bleeds etc

astra

Post by astra » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:29 pm

I work with people who have problems in life. Sometimes they feel very sad, or very scared and sometimes that makes them do things they would not usually want to do, like hurt themselves, or say things that hurt someone else. Some of the people I work with had very bad things happen when they were young and they don't know how to manage how they feel. I help people learn to manage how they feel, to talk about problems, to learn to relax and be kind to themselves. My work is quite hard sometimes because people find it hard to make changes, and some people find it hard to trust me at first.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn