Reviews of products to tackle headlice and nits

For anything not related to psychology
miriam
Site Admin

Reviews of products to tackle headlice and nits

Post by miriam » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Having just had the chance to try various different products, I thought I would put a quick review up where it could be indexed by google, in case anyone else hits the same problems, as most nit products are expensive, smelly, take ages and importantly don't actually work.

1. Vamousse
Cost: about £10 per bottle
Comb provided: Yes, with long metal teeth
Product type: a mousse you spray in and wash out that poisons the nits
Combing required: yes, twice through, and it is tricky with the product in
Effort: loads as the application is slow, the product is claggy and you are supposed to comb before and after
Smell: pretty grotty
Coverage: a bottle covers 2 people with long hair, or a family where one person has very short hair, and two to three others have hair no longer than shoulder length
Promises: 100% death of all lice and nits (eggs) in a single usage - though suggests checking in 7 days and retreating if any eggs or lice are visible
Results: Useless. None of the nits died, even when dunked in the stuff. The comb design removes large adult nits but not eggs

2. Hedrin
Cost: about £10 per bottle
Comb provided: No
Product type: a mousse you massage in and blow dry (or leave to dry) and then leave in overnight or for 8 hours
Combing required: no
Effort: much better, as it goes in much more quickly and then washes out the next morning without the laborious combing
Smell: almost pleasant
Coverage: a bottle covers 2-3 people with long hair, or a family of four where only one person's hair is longer than shoulder length
Promises: 100% death of all lice and nits (eggs) but recommends checking in 7 days and retreating if any eggs or lice are visible
Results: Good. Successfully removed all live nits, but some eggs remained attached to the hair so we ended up re-treating in 7 days just to be sure

3. Sainsburys own brand head lice treatment
Cost: about £5 per bottle
Comb provided: white plastic fine and very fine toothed comb
Product type: oil that is sprayed in, combed through and washed out after at least an hour
Combing required: yes, but this is easy and satisfying as the comb glides through the oiled hair and the nits removed are satisfyingly dead
Smell: almost none
Coverage: brilliant, half a bottle was enough to treat 3 people with very long hair and one person with short hair
Promises: 100% death of all lice and nits (eggs) but recommends repeating treatment in 7 days
Results: Close to perfect. Killed all nits and removed even the smaller eggs.

Recommendation: Sainsbury's own brand oily nit treatment. A quarter of the price, with a physical cause of death that they will never become immune to, and satisfyingly effective.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Reviews of products to tackle headlice and nits

Post by BlueCat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 pm

Just to add, having been there done that.....

Electric nit comb.

Cost: £10-£25 one time cost, plus batteries.
Comb provided: Yes, it is a comb in and of itself.
Product type: a plastic handled metal comb with a current running through it
Combing required: yes, its a comb
Effort: minimal, and not at all messy
Smell: none
Coverage: will treat every member of the family, repeatedly, regardless of if they're bald or have hair like Cousin It
Promises: to electrocute lice
Results: Really satisfying. There is a constant low buzz, and when it encounters lice, the buzzing stops. Doesn't kill eggs, but as it is so so easy to use, brushing through twice a day when you've found lice, and occasionally as a preventative measure at other times is no more bother than brushing hair normally.

We had a particularly hard to shift infestation about 18 months ago. Treated with oily type once a week for weeks on end and just kept coming back. Went to GP. She suggested electric nit comb, have never looked back!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

ell

Post by ell » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:54 pm

We've had repeated good success with Lyclear. But frustratingly, they keep coming back, due to repeated exposure I suppose. Might take a look at that electric comb, as washing hair causes great distress for small child at the best of times, let alone when you need to spend an age washing out oily stuff.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am

BlueCat wrote:Just to add, having been there done that.....

Electric nit comb.

Cost: £10-£25 one time cost, plus batteries.
Comb provided: Yes, it is a comb in and of itself.
Product type: a plastic handled metal comb with a current running through it
Combing required: yes, its a comb
Effort: minimal, and not at all messy
Smell: none
Coverage: will treat every member of the family, repeatedly, regardless of if they're bald or have hair like Cousin It
Promises: to electrocute lice
Results: Really satisfying. There is a constant low buzz, and when it encounters lice, the buzzing stops. Doesn't kill eggs, but as it is so so easy to use, brushing through twice a day when you've found lice, and occasionally as a preventative measure at other times is no more bother than brushing hair normally.

We had a particularly hard to shift infestation about 18 months ago. Treated with oily type once a week for weeks on end and just kept coming back. Went to GP. She suggested electric nit comb, have never looked back!
Wow, you must be a more patient parent than me, and have more tolerant children! Combing through with a nit comb twice a day for a fortnight would be far from what I'd call minimal effort. My firstborn barely tolerates her hair being brushed at all. It takes loads of pre-brushing to get a fine nit comb through it, and re-tangles as we do it. Plus her hair is so thick we would miss some nits no matter how slowly and thoroughly we do it (especially as we only found a total of 2-5 lice per child). However combing it with the oil in was a doddle, even with the super-fine plastic comb. It also gets the eggs out, and every bug removed was dead.

Reviews of the various brands of electric combs available show loads of problems with them, and very mixed outcomes. Also, despite your personal experience, I'm not sure the evidence suggests it to be an effective method of treatment. On medical advice sites (eg NHS choices) every article I've read said that electric combs are not effective at eradicating head lice, partly because it never gets them all (as they run away fast from light or motion), but also because it doesn't kill eggs and any one louse that escapes can lay more eggs.
Miriam

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:44 am

The gaps aren't nit comb sized, so it's a lot easier than a nit comb. I'm sure it doesn't catch them all at one brush through, but twice a day for about a week seems to do the trick. With the oil (which I agree is actually quite fun to comb through) I just got fed up on week five...ans went to the Dr. My kids do have quite fine hair, though x
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:29 am

This has made my head itch.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:23 am

BenJMan wrote:This has made my head itch.
:P
You should try having them in the house, and looking at the ugly little things under a microscope!
Miriam