Do you ever feel like you are being steered along?

For anything not related to psychology
ManonFire

Do you ever feel like you are being steered along?

Post by ManonFire » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 am

This is probably psychology related but hey, everyhting is!

I've had a feeling over the past few weeks that no matter what I do or think, some other force is pushing me towards a different goal or realisation. It's happened only a few times in my life where I've been aware of it. At the moment it is a deep internal struggle which is something pushing me to drop clinical psychology altogether in order to regain empowerment and control over my life. It's like i'm in denial or something by fighting it.
Other times have been for example when I've really liked a partner but something kept telling me to split from them. We would flip-flop status but eventually it would go one way.
I can recall other times when I've made really stupid decisions but somehow ended up stumbling into the right places at the right times.
It's as if a force is steering me beyond my conscious awareness. Does anyone believe in guardian angels :lol:

(I could start mentioning unconscious patterning and research around the role of the non-language centres in the brain, but hey this is a non-psychology related thread!)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Do you ever feel like you are being steered along?

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:35 am

I do believe in angels, as it happens, but I also believe that our gut is often more reliably informed than we give it credit for. ;) I used to have a tendency to get quite anxious over the future and I would try to plan everything out rigidly, and I found I became much happier and more relaxed as gradually I stopped treating life as a chess match. It took me a lot of time to get to this point, but now I don't even have a specific profession as my goal; I'm happy to take the buffet-goer's approach and just mosey along and see what looks appetising in this moment. That may change again when I'm older, but for now it's working for me.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

CellarDoor

Post by CellarDoor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:22 pm

I was also going to reply in the affirmative for something more mysterious or spiritual - which I do believe in - but I also think there's loads of other stuff at play. I think for me I probably tell myself after the event that it was the right decision, and that my life is going in the direction it should be (the other decision would have been wrong etc., this one is right and 'fits' and find evidence or supporting info. for that) - then attribute this to mystery or something higher. I think part of our processing and making sense of events and decisions is to convince ourselves we have made the right decision, and to try to neatly order and connect the different stages of our life together. I always think there are threads going through my life connecting one chapter to the next, but at the same time I am also retrospectively creating that thread.

astra

Post by astra » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm

I really suspect it has more to do with the complexity of the human mind. The stuff we're consciously aware of is only a small proportion of what is going on most of the time for most of us. I find I can have great intentions around diet and exercise, but some mystery force guides me to the fridge, or the chocolate aisle and away from the gym. I can intend to be a compassionate and loving partner and parent and then some mysterious force leads me to yelling and stomping off when no-one has emptied the dishwasher again. I think we're often driven by multiple "voices in our heads" telling us we should do this, and we ought not to do that, but only through being deeply mindful and aware of our own deeper self can we really be sure we're on the right path and moving in the direction of our values and long term goals. Or it's guardian angels - I dunno, but I studied psychology not theology.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn