Derren Brown

For anything not related to psychology
Ruthie

Derren Brown

Post by Ruthie » Sun May 20, 2007 2:52 pm

Did anyone else see Trick or Treat on Friday night. I have to admit, I quite like Derren Brown...and find most of it harmless fun, but I think he took it far too far on Friday by giving a girl (a psychologist, apparently) an out of body experience where she witnessed her own death in a car crash...but hey, no worries, they had a psychologist on standby to give her counselling afterwards and she was *told* there would be no long lasting effects. :shock:

What does anyone else think?

Ruthie

Bella

Post by Bella » Sun May 20, 2007 7:04 pm

To be honest I thought that was quite sick. Im not really a fan of his anyway - but I found the whole thing actually quite cruel.
she was *told* there would be no long lasting effects.
As soon as they said that I shouted at the TV! How can they say that?!

Mr Ben

Post by Mr Ben » Sun May 20, 2007 9:13 pm

It was sick, wasn't it! Derren Brown - cocky git!

Did anyone see last weeks - with the guy in the taxi, then he called the police "we didn't bank on him calling the police" why the hell not?!! I would've - and wouldn't most people?!!!

And then he says "I am going to make Rob temporarily insane" temporarily insane?!!!! Words can't express how stupid that sentence sounded!

And - the most arrogant, cockiest thing he said was "I've analysed her personality and so I know how exacltly she should behave" or something like that... I mean, the guy is an egit!

I liked him before - but now? now he is just vomit-inducingly self confident for his own good!
:roll:

His shows? a time bomb - a ticking time bomb...
just...keep.........going...

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun May 20, 2007 9:26 pm

I saw him live, not long after the seance show was on TV. I'd been a big fan of the first series he did, though less impressed with Russian Roulette (pick a suggestable person and then tell them to select one cartridge, any one, the first one that comes into their head, whatever one feels comfortable, have you picked one?)

Live, some of the stuff was really impressive (like asking anyone with a london postcode and a number in the phone book to put their hands up, then throwing out a frisbee, asking for their surname and postcode and telling them their phone number). However, the actual seance part was terrible, a real let down. Had written the name of the "deceased" person on the hat he handed round, and on their favourite album he had paste a passport photo (I could see this from quite far back in the audience) and then, suprise surprise they named and described the guy during the seance. One of the people who was picked was sat behind me, and I asked her at the interval if that was a simple and daft as it looked, and she confirmed it.

I didn't see this latest one on TV, but I'm now kind of glad I missed it!
Last edited by miriam on Tue May 22, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

astra

Post by astra » Mon May 21, 2007 10:31 am

I heard about it but I never watch his stuff now. I think he is very irresponsible and will end up really traumatising someone and causing long term psychological damage. Shouldn't there be some regulation of this kind of thing?

chixta

Post by chixta » Mon May 21, 2007 12:11 pm

I agree - the man is totally disturbed and messing both with people's mental and psychological wellbeing. :evil:

As someone who believes in the spiritual realm, I also feel he is getting involved with spiritual forces that he knows nothing about, which is a very dangerous thing to do.

I've never liked Derren Brown and have watched about a collective five minutes of all his programs, before switching off!

damnsaiyan

Post by damnsaiyan » Tue May 22, 2007 7:33 pm

To be honest, I quite like his shows and his performances. I did think the car accident episode pushed it too far and was out of order, but I have like all the other stuff and his other shows. What I don't like is him claiming that it's not tricks. I've actually got something that explains some of his tricks, and you would not believe how ridiculous some things are, but also the fact that he can pull it off. Though I guess that's what being a magic performer is all about - misdirection etc. Though there are a few tricks of reading people which I am impressed with what he does (some of which does involve the ways eye change direction).

I also didn't like how he pushed everyone to sign the contract in the begining when I'm pretty sure it would have covered the things that he was allowed to do to them had they read it fully.

Though..I find him funny and a good performer, ethical issues aside, so I will still continue to watch his programmes!

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue May 22, 2007 9:49 pm

The guy is basically a magician, like Paul Daniels and David Copperfield, except with a possible element of hypnotism thrown in. Most of the tricks he does have been around for a long time, and are not nearly so interesting once you know how they are done. FYI That postcode trick has been done since the first world war. I am not going to spoil it and tell you how they are done (My little bro used to be a magician, which has pretty much spoiled most magic tricks for me for life).

He is a good showman. The use of "psychology" is clever veneer to cover up what would otherwise be a quite straightforward magic act. As Brown does not claim to be a psychologist, I don't have any problems with him overstepping his boundaries. All magic "uses" psychology to some extent (using patter, establishing rapport, cognitive distortions, misdirection and distraction) but nothing beyond that.

Personally, I do not think what he does would result in psychological disturbances (well no more than say watching a horror film). If there was anything even vaguely sue-able they couldn't do it.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue May 22, 2007 10:13 pm

I prefer "street magic" that involves sleight of hand and cold-reading to those tricks that involve camera trickery and special effects... but I kind of think half the fun of magic is in spotting (or trying to spot) how it is done :D
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

alabaster codify

Post by alabaster codify » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:22 am

chixta wrote:I agree - the man is totally disturbed and messing both with people's mental and psychological wellbeing. :evil:

As someone who believes in the spiritual realm, I also feel he is getting involved with spiritual forces that he knows nothing about, which is a very dangerous thing to do.

I've never liked Derren Brown and have watched about a collective five minutes of all his programs, before switching off!
I think he does a pretty good job of debunking woo woo stuff like psychics and seances. The fact that you have only watched 5 minutes of his programme in total suggests that you don't really know enough to comment.

What do you mean by 'he is getting involved with spiritual forces that he knows nothing about, which is a very dangerous thing to do'? He has demonstrated that there are no 'spiritual forces' involved in what he does, or what any psychic con-merchants do. This is the sort of thing True Believers say to James Randi when he does cold reading. They say that he is psychic but he just doesn't realise it. What do you have to do to convince some people?

damnsaiyan

Post by damnsaiyan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Just to belatedy add to this, I went to see one of his shows last year and it is really good fun! Much better than seeing him on TV. The thing that I really want to know his about hypnotising people! :lol: He explained one of his tricks to a girl without telling the audience, so she could do it herself on people. And once he was done with her he hypnotised her and 'made her forget' about it all. And I know my rational side is suggesting a stooge, but he did pick her at random with a frisbee :lol:

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:18 am

Sounds like his frisbee aim is more to be admired than his magic then! :lol:

gez1809

Post by gez1809 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:45 am

I love Derren Brown. A lot of his stuff seems quite stooge-y, but he is so anti-stooges that I find it really hard to believe that he would use them.

damnsaiyan

Post by damnsaiyan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:44 am

workingmama wrote:Sounds like his frisbee aim is more to be admired than his magic then! :lol:
:lol: No, shh! Don't ruin the illusion for me! Though in his defence, the whole frisbee thing is hard to fake...he throws it into the audience, then it gets thrown all over the place a few times until it lands on a random (or what I believe to be) random person!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:52 pm

i think in his book he says everything you think is misdirection is actually psychology, everything you think is psychology is actually misdirection (or something to that effect)
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.