The "national workers first!" phenomenon

For anything not related to psychology
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

I felt like Gilly's image summed up my response to this thread quite well, and I don't have LD (and I'm not sure I'd make that assumption about the person in the photo either).

However I'd like to remind all of you to discuss the topic (if you wish to) without insulting each other.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

id like it to be made straight that me posting that photo was not to mock those with LD, but infact my current thoughts to this thread.
psyt

Post by psyt »

whitian wrote:
psyt wrote:Now I understand: you are a Dr Gilly's patient...
Care to explain what this is about?
I wanted just to highlight the inconsistency of who talks about respect, as you did in your fifth post (now modified), after having used a tone like the one you used in your fourth post to express your disagreement.
In fact, there is no sign of respect in such a tone, and what you define challenge is only sarcasm and does not help any debates.
For this reason I am unwilling to continue.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

edit: nvm, dont care
whitian

Post by whitian »

psyt wrote:I wanted just to highlight the inconsistency of who talks about respect, as you did in your fifth post (now modified), after having used a tone like the one you used in your fourth post to express your disagreement.
In fact, there is no sign of respect in such a tone, and what you define challenge is only sarcasm and does not help any debates.
For this reason I am unwilling to continue.
I understand this. I felt a little lack of respect when you implied that the discussion was not fertile as you would have hoped. Your English is perfectly good enough to be worded in the present tense, think and thought being very different words. I have already apologised for mis-reading the opening post, however I believe my discordant response generated your frustration, which ultimtately was uncalled for. It started here, and through successive posts 'smugness' increased on your part, and I began to use increasing irony leading to a patronising tone in response to lots of underlining and bold type in your posts.

I have softened my arguments, even found grounds for important agreements, and yes, reserved the statement regarding respect. Granted, I cannot call you out on respect if I have led to you feeling disrespected too, no matter 'who started it', but I also reserved the statement because I have little respect for people who use the concept of reduced mental capacity as a tool for insult, I think it was particularly sneaky to imply that Gilly posted the picture as a reference to me, when it was not intended in that way. Allowing for cultural differences, I think it is plausible for a foreign resident to think that Gilly's post was meant in the way you stated, but I do not think that you are a candidate for perceiving Gilly's picture in a derogatory manner, because you are a clinical psychologist.

If you think I am some kind of mental patient, or just plain stupid, I invite you to say it outright rather than using the association of context to convey insult, or better still, lock horns intellectually.

Despite Miriam's wish to keep to topic, I hope this post is left untouched as it might clear some of the readers' huhs.