5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
Toria

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by Toria » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:42 pm

YAAAY! Massive congratulations workingmama! :mrgreen: All three of my jobs since qualifying nearly 2 years ago have been mat leave cover, so a warm welcome to the Mat Leave Job Crew (provisional title, open to more creative suggestions)!

1. I want to get more boxes unpacked tonight
2. Moving house when ill wasn't great timing but so glad to be in now
3. Endings can be powerful things
4. I want chocolate
5. It's nearly the weekend!
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:05 pm

workingmama wrote:2. In my absolute dream area (paeds neuro).
Awesoooooome :D Well done, such a rare field to get in to, we need more Paeds Neuro folk :D
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Loula

Post by Loula » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Big congrats WM! Glad you held off for your perfect job. Hope you're celebrating :D

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:11 pm

1. Just 2 weeks left of the current job
2. Winding down, closing cases
3. Motivation waning
4. Just wanna get packed up for Japan
5. Flat viewings on Saturday - so exciting!!! Cannot wait to have my own place again and if this place I'm viewing is anywhere near as nice as the pictures then it will be perfect :mrgreen:

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:20 am

1.) It would be really helpful if my Masters course gave me some more information soon so I could organise my work... my rota will come out soon and I'll need a specific day off every week so if they don't hurry up this will involve a lot of shift switching!
2.) Really hope I'm not on so many night shifts next month, hate hate hate them SO much! They are just SO dull. At least soon I will have course work to be getting on with to keep me busy
3.) Happy some positive steps are happening in my role but wish there were more development opportunities. Sometimes it feels like I'm going nowhere and a graduate job will never happen! I don't know how people ever get AP jobs... :(
4.) Looking at the alternative handbook and clearing house website is making me feel physically sick - I think I should apply this year to get my head around everything but given this anxiety filled response how am I going to cope with the process!?
5.) Excited by the idea of buying a house within 6 months... really hope it works out!

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:36 am

Loula wrote:Big congrats WM! Glad you held off for your perfect job. Hope you're celebrating :D
As only 38 year old woman with three children can...Netflix binge! :lol:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:58 pm

1) With this research paper all I keep thinking in my head is 'just keep swimming, just keep swimming'... it's something I've spent a lot of my own time on and have constantly bought back to supervision to try and get published. Slowly I'm starting to see the end in sight.
2) Really starting to notice an impact in the change of job roles, however I'm grateful that I'm noticing it in myself. I went on a big hour long dog walk after work yesterday to go and clear my mind. Whilst this is good, buying lots of cake and chocolate may not be the healthiest way of 'self care' (although the dog walk totally balances this out :))
3) I'm desperate to try and get back into some sort of fitness class/sport. Netball season will be back soon, but I need something in the mean time. However I need it to be in walking distance to my home, and around other commitments (can you see how I'm already putting this off in my mind)
4) My course starts next month!! Finally, I can't wait to start learning something new
5) First though, HOLIDAY!!! A week of sunshine, cocktails and sleeping by the pool. 4 weeks and 2 days to go, come on, I can do this

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Loving all the job excitement in here!

1) I finally got my nose pierced!
2) ^ Unsurprisingly, it felt exactly how you'd imagine someone driving a sharpened hook through your nostril would feel. Yep. :shock:
3) Visited a close friend Mon / Tues, but already miss her.
4) Where's my week off going?!
5) Yuck, it's muggy tonight...

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:31 am

[apologies in advance for the somewhat self indulgent melo-drama that is to follow, it's a very weird mix of anger, justice, shock and disgust that I'm feeling right now]

1. Well CLEARLY I made the right decision didn't I?
2. I'm not even giving you the satisfaction of reading through your bile filled assassination of my character, if you don't have the guts to say it to my face then it clearly isn't that important.
3. You have no idea how low you have dropped in my estimation, low enough that I don't even care if you ever find out, it makes absolutely no odds to me what you think of me or what you think I think of you.
4. Be as petty as you like, I know that I tried, if that wasn't good enough for you then you're only proving my point.
5. Good riddance to bad rubbish, always good to have a clean out before starting on a new endeavor!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:42 am

Hope you're OK, Firegal!! Sounds like lots of self care and indulgence is needed. XXX

1) It's too early to be fully awake and up on Monday in the last week of the school holidays!
2) So happy Rory, our Irish Setter, is making such good progress. The vet is surprised at how well he's doing given the extent of his injuries. I think the vet is not giving himself anywhere near enough credit!
3) In-laws are planning on coming to us at Christmas. That will be fantastic - my father-in-law makes THE BEST sushi!!
4) Related to the above, is it wrong and terribly rude to ask a guest to make sushi for Christmas day??
5) Sorry, even if it is wrong and terribly rude, I HAVE to ask him!!!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:52 am

Oh firegal, sounds like you've had a tough one. Onwards and upwards, right? You don't need that kind of negativity and nastiness in your life.

1) My abstract has been accepted by Royal College of Psychiatry for their annual conference in October!!! :D :shock: 8) Just a poster presentation, but it's my first official publication / dissemination external to the trust I work for.
2) I found out at 10pm last night. I definitely didn't sleep.
3) So much to sort and prepare.
4) I need coffee.
5) Oh my god.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:47 am

sweetpea wrote:Oh firegal, sounds like you've had a tough one. Onwards and upwards, right? You don't need that kind of negativity and nastiness in your life.
Pretty much my thoughts.
sweetpea wrote:1) My abstract has been accepted by Royal College of Psychiatry for their annual conference in October!!! :D :shock: 8) Just a poster presentation, but it's my first official publication / dissemination external to the trust I work for.
Yay! that's a great feeling, well done you!

1. Last week at work, can hardly believe how quickly it's gone
2. *ping* text message telling me my travel money is ready to collect
3. 10 days until Japan :shock:
4. Finding my Birmingham flat has taken a lot of stress off of my shoulders, even better that the landlord has been kind enough to start my contract after I get back from Japan even though it was advertised as available from the start of the month - I had pretty much just accepted that I'd have to pay rent for time I wasn't going to use it. Just waiting for the letting agents to send the documents! (Cannot wait to find lots of pretty things in Japan to decorate my flat with!)
5. I'm grateful to have lots of lovely things to distract my mind with, I'm determined not to dwell on the break-up - a. he isn't worth my time, and b. I don't want to become that cynical bitter person.

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:21 am

1) I feel like yesterday I learnt a lot about myself- both in and out of work
2) I had my usual session with a very anxious child and parent- I find that I pick up their anxieties so easily, but feel that I managed this quite well yesterday (although I did feel slightly anxious about the child when she left)
3) I think I'm slowly becoming more assertive with colleagues, whilst also trying to be approachable and supportive at the same time. It's a really hard balance to try and find, but I think I need to start using my reflective diary a bit more especially after these times.
4) Yesterday our dog had a bit of an injury- my initial thoughts went into anxious/catastrophic *oh no, lets get him to the vets, he's hurt and must do something about it straight the way*.... but I didn't act on these. I didn't just leave him in pain, my boyfriend and I watched him during the night and put a little make shift ice pack on him to help. I think this worked, he's woken up this morning better (but on bed rest... as much as you can with a dog!)
5) I realised last night that my boyfriend and I balance each other out so much, and he's really great at helping me not going into panic mode. I do like him quite a lot :)

Beggarsroost

Post by Beggarsroost » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:42 pm

1. Finally, after 101 procedures and tests we have been given the go ahead to try again after the loss of our little girl. Equal parts excited and terrified as we never found out why she's not with us.
2. Starting MSc in a few weeks (because why not do everything at once?). Looking forward to a change and to have something to focus on
4. Will apply for DClin for a third and final time after MSc. After 2 years on reserve lists I think I'll just have to accept that I'm just not right for the role if I don't get on next time. I'm already bitter that I have to do an MSc to get any more interviews (a mid 2:1 just doesn't cut it these days and I've only ever been able to get interviews at courses that use selection tests). Turns out experience doesn't count for as much as its easier to quantify and shift through applications based on grades.
3. I am so grateful for the support I have received from loved ones and colleagues throughout everything. Makes you appreciate what you have got.
4. Really need to start doing some exercise............. :roll:
Life is far too important to be taken seriously

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:42 pm

1. Day of 2 halves that's for sure
2. Yay money back from the tax man
3. Yay picked up my travel money
4. Boo hiss phone call from occy health - turns out the report from my GP wasn't enough and they want me to go for an appointment, except they can't fit me in until about a week before the course starts and aren't willing to even try doing a phone appointment. Seriously starting to regret being honest in that initial form.
5. Really scared that the fact that my offer hasn't been confirmed yet because of OH will have an effect on me getting my flat :(