5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
SheRa

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by SheRa » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:14 pm

1. During ptsd reliving my client said they could smell the place of the trauma, is it just coincidence I did a small sbd at the same time :oops:
2. The ethereal mist on the journey in this morning - thought I might get transported to Narnia or summat
3. Job plan B (no. 1598): start a pay as you browse book shop & cafe with cats
4. Why am I so gassy today?!
5. Loved watching The Grand Budapest Hotel last night
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:48 pm

1 - 5 I hate the doctorate form!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:30 am

1.) I have a viva date. :shock:
2.) I also have an interview for a nice-looking postdoc. This week is so much better than the last.
3.) I want to take up an instrument that is more portable than my cello, one that I can take on my overseas adventures, and when I mentioned this to a friend he offered me his old clarinet. I'm very touched and I can't wait to get hold of it.
4.) I had a lovely visit from a friend I hadn't seen since March 2015. She is the only person I've met who can rival me in the consumption of extremely fiery curry.
5.) I've booked myself onto a workshop on 'confident decision-making' for late-stage PhD students. This suggests to me that there are other uncertain ditherers out there, so maybe I'm not so abnormal after all.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:39 am

1. I made a few errors at work, which led to my PI having to send an email "checking in". So I'm feeling a little useless right now.
2. I can't stop editing my personal statement and it's driving me crazy.
3. My family are visiting me and it's been almost 10 days of them staying in my tiny living room.
4. I've had 3 participant no-shows today, so it seems something of a wasted day.
5. I feel ready to start my clinical training, but I don't want to leave the current country I'm in.

Bleh.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:05 pm

1) I think (fingers crossed?!) that my 7-month long supervision saga is finally being resolved!! :shock: :D
2) This whole experience has taught me just how valuable good quality supervision is.
3) Excited to be learning, challenged and encouraged in a psychology context again.
4) Come on, confirmation email...
5) I'll be so relieved if this really does pan out.

ell

Post by ell » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:47 pm

1) Soundtrack to the afternoon's working/study - Disturbed. This whole doctorate has been fuelled by metal.
2) Rather excited to have taken over my first Pokegym.
3) Really missing some friends right now. Life and distance mean that some friendships have to be maintained by electronic contact, and sometimes that is nowhere near enough.
4) Small Human is finally starting to pronounce his 'L's. He does it really deliberately, so it sounds a bit funny. Also a bit weird, because it means he is finally starting to talk properly like an actual little boy not just a baby/toddler/pre-schooler.
5) Going to have to open the biscuits.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:36 pm

ell wrote:1) Soundtrack to the afternoon's working/study - Disturbed. This whole doctorate has been fuelled by metal.
Nice! :D

1. Moved house yesterday. Started unpacking today. About halfway done apart from the terrible number of vaguely-miscellaneous boxes. Ick.
2. Lots and lots of work stress at the moment with a few difficult conversations to have with clients. And I'm under caseload despite best efforts.
3. Oh, and we're now in staff consultation after getting reduced funding from tender >:( The new service sounds good in principle, but the demands will be insane, and I'm so upset and angry that all our jobs are at risk. Heartbroken for my senior colleagues whose posts appear to be getting deleted entirely.
4. Hopefully living with friends again, combined with getting my own counselling again, will start making things feel more secure again after a year of hell
5. I need to unpeel myself from laptop to make food for tonight and tomorrow.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:30 am

1.) I applied for my first ever AP post.
2.) I kept compulsively checking NHS Jobs for updates.
3.) I got an interview for my first ever AP post...
4.) ...but didn't know a thing about it until it was too late, as the confirmation didn't come through NHS Jobs, but went to an e-mail account I don't check daily.
5.) On the positive side - they liked my application enough to want to interview me, and I have learnt to check all my e-mail accounts, all the time. On the down side - UGH. :evil:
- A.A. Milne.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:43 am

1.) NHS HR lady, I love you! I'm going to the interview after all! :D
2.) I also love my long-suffering parents, who have to put up with me getting anxious and flappy when things seem to be going badly.
3.) I've taken the decision to leave my course, as my adviser wants a formal meeting to discuss my "readiness to fulfil the course attendance requirements"...because my PhD viva is booked for a teaching day. Some students have missed lectures for hangovers, and I'm getting pulled in for doing an exam? This lady doesn't like me. I will remove myself from her vicinity.
4.) I've been inconsiderate and upset someone I really respect. :( I hope he will accept my apology.
5.) Onward and upward.
- A.A. Milne.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:45 pm

[quote="lingua_franca"]
3.) I've taken the decision to leave my course, as my adviser wants a formal meeting to discuss my "readiness to fulfil the course attendance requirements"...because my PhD viva is booked for a teaching day. Some students have missed lectures for hangovers, and I'm getting pulled in for doing an exam? This lady doesn't like me. I will remove myself from her vicinity.
/quote]

I'm sorry but nothing will stop me going to my PhD Viva! I hope it goes well!
I'll be interested to hear your experience.

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:31 pm

lingua_franca wrote:1.) NHS HR lady, I love you! I'm going to the interview after all! :D
2.) I also love my long-suffering parents, who have to put up with me getting anxious and flappy when things seem to be going badly.
4.) I've been inconsiderate and upset someone I really respect. :( I hope he will accept my apology.
5.) Onward and upward.
Congrats Lingua and good luck! I hope everything gets sorted out for the viva :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"

astra

Post by astra » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:05 pm

1. Noooooo! America Really????
2. I had a nice swim before coming to work.
3. It's snowing, I love snow.
4. Been really really busy just lately, appreciating a quieter week.
5. Tell me I dreamt that election result - please???
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:32 pm

1) 7 months in, after yet more raised hopes and disappointments, supervision is NOT sorted. :x
2) Starting to seriously consider job-hunting.
3) ...which sucks, because this could have been an epic AP job.
4) Need to re-focus on DClin application.
5) The world has gone mad. What is it with 2016?

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:47 pm

1. The recent experience of living with someone has just made me even more adamant to continue saving as much as possible to get my own place. This goal has just jumped to the top of my list for next year.

2. I am so grateful for the people around me, they have continued to support me and be my anchor. I really don't know where I would be without them. Whatever, I have done to deserve this, I can't appreciate them enough.

3. I am getting my head around the course. Yes it is intense. Yes it is hard work but it will be worth it!

4. 9 days and counting for a very much needed holiday. I always find that time off work and being on holiday are two very different types of breaks. The downtime, good company and sunshine is exactly what I need to remain focused.

5. Also on a countdown to Christmas and going home! Never thought I'd say that when I left all those years ago. Strange how perspectives changed with time and experience...
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:29 pm

1.) I gave an undergraduate lecture yesterday. I've led seminars before, but this was my first time lecturing. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The students were very attentive and engaged and they had some great questions.
2.) I didn't get the AP job, but I had some lovely feedback from the CP and she had suggestions for things to improve that should come in very useful for my postdoc interview on Monday! I'm determined to nail this postdoc.
3.) My feet are a mess. I need to see a podiatrist.
4.) I've got a few days off work and I'm going to spend them on creative writing!
5.) I'd like to go back to America and see friends some time in the near-future. A solidarity visit.
- A.A. Milne.