5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
Shmit

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by Shmit » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:16 pm

1) I'm feeling slightly lost in terms of work and jobs at the moment, I'm not sure what direction to take and whether I'm truely happy in my job at the moment. The pay aspect is really nice and one thing keeping me here, however pay is only a small (yet necessary) part of working and I'd much rather be in a job I'm enjoying and developing in.

2) I'm a bit stuck on where I stand at the moment- I feel like my work continue offering me development opportunities, but these are all outside of my working hours. Am I being ungrateful/stubborn (?!) that I feel that my development should be included within my 40 hours and not things I have to do as extra on the side. I have been happy to bits I enjoy outside (e.g. research projects, supporting groups) however does it get to a point when I say no, but then maybe come across less motivated?

3) I really want to go travelling around somewhere, maybe go driving around the Amalfi coast or to Iceland in the blue lagoons. When will I win the lottery!

4) I'm determined to get on with applications this evening, I have a few to write and I'm determined to get these written up and sent

5) I'm finally happy to get over a bug that has bothering me for the past month or so. It's funny that when you've been ill for a while, you forget what it's like to not be poorly!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
nomnom

Post by nomnom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:34 pm

1. So, Sunday night was eventful to say the least...After 3 months of not speaking and pure silence, just as I was beginning to understand that the sky is still the sky without him and being ok with this, he turns up at my door...Times like this I really struggle to maintain my belief that everything happens for a reason! I mean, why? What does this mean? After the turmoil I went through it still wasn't the end. This sort of thing happens in movies but hello whoever is up there, this is not for entertainment! This is my life *sigh*

2. It has really distracted me from my routine of work and university which is not good but I am trying my best to just let him deal with things. Its his life, his choices and he needs to make them on his own. I said I would listen but that is as far as I am willing to go. I have to protect myself, I know how easy it would be for things to back to the way they were. I can't allow that until/unless things change dramatically.

3. As a result of above, this holiday on Monday could not have come at a better time. A week of just winding down, getting my bearings and maintaining the focus on me.

4. As usual, the people around me are truly amazing. I think about them and they bring peace to my otherwise chaotic mind these days. Its so strange, I used to thrive from chaos, now the only thing I find joy in is silence. I think I am getting old. :oops:

5. I made the rookie mistake of getting a chai latte from Starbucks as opposed to my usual Costa stop as I was in a rush. I've never been so outraged/disappointed with a drink in my life. Completely ruined my day. Lesson learnt though - never again!! :roll:
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:40 pm

nomnom wrote: 5. I made the rookie mistake of getting a chai latte from Starbucks as opposed to my usual Costa stop as I was in a rush. I've never been so outraged/disappointed with a drink in my life. Completely ruined my day. Lesson learnt though - never again!! :roll:
This made me laugh! Glad for you that this was the worst of your day/week/month :lol:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:02 pm

1.) I GOT THE POSTDOC!!! :D I am over the moon and halfway across the asteroid belt. I had a hunch it would be mine, which solidified into a greater confidence when I saw the department and met the academics I'd be working with. I felt very much at home and I enjoyed the interview.
2.) I will be quite sad to leave my CAMHS unit. There is one girl who has been there as long as I have. I really hope she moves on before I do - I want to see her on her way up.
3.) I've lived on a PhD stipend and then a HCA's salary for so long that the thought of having this salary has left me a bit dazed. I can afford to have proper cello lessons again. That will be great.
4.) I still feel a bit of a pang about giving up the SLT dream. I tried it, it didn't work out, you can't have everything in life.
5.) I got really nice feedback from the undergraduates I've been teaching. I'm touched and I'm sad to leave them too.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

astra

Post by astra » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:46 pm

1. Having complained a couple of months ago about referrals not being consistent, I'm now drowning in work from various quarters.
2. Doing a 2 day CPD thing on Solution Focused therapy, first day has gone well, I can see a lot I could put into practice. I'd recommend SDS Seminars for short courses if you want to invest in some BPS approved training.
3. I love the freedom of working for myself, I love not having to deal with teams and systems as much as I did in the NHS, and I love just being able to say - "there's a course I fancy, lets see if I can fit it in".
4. As I'm in Birmingham for 2 days on this course I just popped into the city centre (2 min walk from my hotel) - it's huge and completely overwhelming - I wandered round in a daze for 2 hours and bought nothing - unheard of!
5. Stepping away from doing course selection now as I'm not supervising trainees. Time to let others have a go I think.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

ell

Post by ell » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:40 pm

1) I seem to only use this thread now when I am feeling a bit down about something. It's difficult knowing who to lean on though, as everyone else seems to have their own stuff.
2) Feeling particularly miserable about not having qualified with the rest of my cohort. Would feel less bad if I could actually envisage myself graduating at all. I am properly scared that this is not going to work out.
3) I love my 'qualified' job. Which makes me more scared about not qualifying, cos then I would lose it. And be back to square one.
4) Probably need to go talk to the course about all this.
5) I genuinely think they sometimes regret taking me on. And I'm pretty sure my dissertation supervisor does.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:01 pm

1. Somehow, telling myself "BORED NOW" as soon as I start ruminating over old topics is becoming really helpful...I don't think I can suggest it to clients though somehow.
2. I had a very valuable counselling session last week, which I was dreading. I didn't want to talk about that issue, but the fact I was terrified of it was telling me that I needed to. So I did it and some of the phantom of my ex-boyfriend has faded away.
3. It's really great living with friends again. But one of them randomly mentioning "my clients are more severe than yours" at irrelevant times is very wearing. It's not a competition and I have far more clinical responsibility any way. But other than that, it's good. Really good. All four of us are doing pretty well together.
4. Organising my sister's hen do is stressful as hell when everyone keeps changing their minds on their plans, and it's next weekend!
5. Everyone is talking about Christmas. I don't want to think about it yet. It's a very stressful time of year for me.

ell

Post by ell » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:52 pm

1) As usual, not looking forward to Christmas. Taps into all my stuff. Wouldn't mind a little Christmas day with just the three of us, but Obligations.
2) Feeling really low for the first time in a while. And I was doing so well. Bah.
3) Really disappointed that plans for tomorrow evening fell through, and I still don't really understand why, which is annoying and leaves me worried it's something to do with me. Though he said it wasn't.
4) Intense day at work tomorrow. But it might actually be enjoyable.
5) Have made Tim Roth the wallpaper on my phone. He's looking all broody and tattooed. Cheers me up surprisingly well.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:15 am

1.) Really disappointed that I abandoned all plans to apply to the doctorate this year. Between working full time and studying full time for this masters I just haven't had the time at all. Ironic since one of my motivations for doing the masters was to help with my doctorate application ha
2.) Really nervous that I'm going to do terribly this term and my eventual application will actually look worse as a result
3.) Still, at least I've passed the 'breakdown' stage I got to the other week and seem to be coping OK now... starting my secondment at work at the same time as a huge deadline was looming did not leave me and my anxiety in a good place
4.) Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually cut out for this career path at all due to 3... I feel like my anxiety constantly holds me back. I guess starting my placement will really put this to the test...
5.) Can't believe I have another deadline and exams so soon I'm completely unprepared and quite scared I'm going to fail. I really wanted to be so 'on it' and organised this time around but the best laid plans...

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Esuma... wow! Full time masters and full time job?!? I looked into this and decided that I wouldn't be able to hack it (and went for an evening course alongside full time work... which is enough in itself!) so I think you need to give yourself some credit. I don't know the ins and outs of your experience, but from how you've described your 5 thoughts you sound cut out for Clinical Psychology :)

1) I have set numerous reminders on my phone, alongside telling my boyfriend and Mum to remind me... I want my applications sent off today! This evening I aim to sit with a glass of wine and watch Made In Chelsea (guilty pleasure) having clicked the 'submit' button
2) Still a bit stuck on the work front... I just don't know what to do with myself and whether to move on or stick things out.
3) In the back of my mind I keep thinking about whether me and boyfriend are ready to move to a new city, have we done our time in our current place? Our 3 year fixed-term mortgage ends next year so it may be the right time then
4) How is it possible that weekends go so quickly? I'm craving a weekend of doing absolutely nothing but lovely long dog walks and slobbing in front of the TV. I think we've got this penciled in for the 20th January 2017
5) Having written that down though I feel quite guilty, I have some lovely plans to spend with family and friends over the next few weeks. I'm really grateful for this :)

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:45 pm

workingmama wrote:
nomnom wrote: 5. I made the rookie mistake of getting a chai latte from Starbucks as opposed to my usual Costa stop as I was in a rush. I've never been so outraged/disappointed with a drink in my life. Completely ruined my day. Lesson learnt though - never again!! :roll:
This made me laugh! Glad for you that this was the worst of your day/week/month :lol:
I have very much addicted to chai so not getting the one that feels right is quite close to soul-destroying for me every time. I am glad it made you smile though :D

1. Holiday was amazing! People, food and sunshine was exactly what I needed to just slow down from my current pace of life.

2. It is cold in Leeds. Cold I tell you.

3. The thought of getting back in to work and university routine until Christmas is filling me with dread.

4. He is still around. Nothing is sorted. I am at a loss with this entire situation so I have resorted to just allowing it for now. I will deal with it after 11th Dec.

5.On a brighter note, I am ridiculously tanned right now :D ahhh the little things in life...
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 pm

1 - the form is done, submitted and completed!
2 - I wonder how I fare this year
3 - Im hoping HR for my new job will actually respond to me soon
4 - I am hungry despite eating loads
5 - I am also tired but my form is done, submitted and completed!

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:05 am

1) Form is in. I thought I would feel this overwhelming sense of a weight being lifted, but instead I can't stop looking back over it wondering if I could have phrased something differently or done more.
2) Trying to hold onto the fact that it is only my second application, and I did better than I hoped last year.
3) Conference presentation to do by tomorrow. Found out yesterday. Thankfully its only 15 minutes
4) Wedding planning also stepping up a gear -meeting with reception venue on sunday and signing contracts for ceremony. Time is going to quickly -its already been 6 months.
5) I bought the best advent calendar. Can't wait to eat nice chocolate every day

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:47 pm

1) Submitting the application this year was so anticlimactic!
2) It felt much more personal though, which I'm hoping was a good thing.
3) Therapy has me in a real muddle at the moment, and I'm not sure why.
4) Mixed feelings about the new Pokemon 3DS game.
5) Nostalgia, much?! :lol:

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:40 pm

1.) I'm flat-hunting ready for my move. This is the first time I've had a high enough salary to afford my own flat rather than having to share, and there are several nice options within my budget. It doesn't feel quite real yet, as if I'm a little girl picking out a Wendy house.
2.) Another job interview invitation arrived today. This is the third one in a month. I feel extraordinarily popular all of a sudden. :shock:
3.) I want a back massage. Either that or someone to iron my spine. It's all creaky.
4.) I want to travel somewhere I've never been. Somewhere that isn't a conflict zone. Maybe Iceland?
5.) 2014 was a rough year, 2015 was awful, 2016 was all about clawing my way back up to the light - and I have a wonderful feeling that 2017 will be great.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.