5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
Esuma

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by Esuma » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 am

Shmit wrote:Esuma... wow! Full time masters and full time job?!? I looked into this and decided that I wouldn't be able to hack it (and went for an evening course alongside full time work... which is enough in itself!) so I think you need to give yourself some credit. I don't know the ins and outs of your experience, but from how you've described your 5 thoughts you sound cut out for Clinical Psychology :))

I did wonder whether it was a sensible idea and considered part time but my uni had very little difference between part time and full time - the only difference being you had a whole year to do your thesis but still did every other module at the same time so I thought I'd just go for it! At the time I was working as a HCA where I did 3 long days a week so thought 4 days off would be perfect for uni. Then I got offered a secondment to a role that gives me much better experience but is mostly 9-5. Any other time it would be a dream to be doing a normal working week but I'm definitely struggling fitting everything in now! The grass is always greener!

1.) Didn't do as much work yesterday as I had planned but at least my assignment is pretty much done
2.) If that mark is correct I'm really happy with my last assignment mark!
3.) Definitely not prepared for these exams...
4.) Really wish the Christmas tree lady would email so I know when I can go out and when I have to be in - but exciting our tree will be here today! No idea where it's going to go though...!
5.) Still sat in my pajamas eating biscuits and drinking coffee despite thinking how behind I am. Hello logic!?!?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
nomnom

Post by nomnom » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:13 pm

1. The nightmare of the ex-flatmate is still not ending! She has moved but hasn't paid me for bills even though the agency have the meter readings and copies of bills due. At least the council tax is all her. I just want this to be over!

2. I'm really feeling behind with university work - since coming back from holiday, I have been chasing myself with work and haven't had time to do anything. Going to do some tonight and then make myself a plan of action for the next month to get back on track.

3. He is still here. Urgh. Meh. Hmm.

4. I cannot wait to go home for Christmas. I don't think I've looked forward to Christmas like this in years. Something about 2015 being rough making 2016 about just survival must have something to do with wanting to go home...

5. Breathe. Just keep swimming...
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

ChipChip

Post by ChipChip » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:26 am

1. Just cancelled a very promising interview because work don't want to lose me and have made me an interesting offer...
2. Offer involves proving myself in an interview and possibly a presentation task in front of colleagues... already terrified of embarrassing myself!
3. Really worried that 1 will fall through/is a cruel joke. Doesn't help that people are acting like it's a sure thing (I've been here before)!
4. Will I be annoyed about cancelling today if 1 falls through? Yep! Do I keep looking for jobs just in case?
5. If it does I was looking to get out anyway so it's not too big a deal but what they are offering is the whole reason I came back/spent two years patiently waiting!
Bonus 6. Concentration levels will be screwed until interview pffft!

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:49 pm

1. Watching my videoed assessment back is making me cringe!
2. Trying to stay a float with university work at the moment.. Starting to feel much better about it all.
3. Why is it so hot in here!? :shock:
4. Thinking about having fajitas for dinner... or pie.
5. Why are my thoughts mainly about food!?

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:20 am

1.) Five days until my viva. Hell's biscuits, the nerves are starting to kick in now. It seems to me that I can't look at my thesis without noticing a missed reference or a sentence that's so clumsily constructed it looks as if I wrote it under the influence of controlled substances. WHY.
2.) My supervisor has promised to buy pastries so I can have a nice breakfast before the viva. Sadly I won't be eating a thing until it's over in case I vomit copiously on sight of the examiners.
3.) I have a horrible feeling that I'm going to fail and I'll lose my new job. I don't understand why my brain has to produce these thoughts when everything is going so well. I need to just enjoy the happiness and have faith in myself, because as many events in my life have shown, I am actually pretty capable.
4.) I need to stop reading viva horror stories on the Internet.
5.) I see a friend I haven't seen in three years for lunch tomorrow and I'm so excited. A bright spark in the middle of all this anxious gloom!
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

astra

Post by astra » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:01 am

Lingua you need to read the signature at the bottom of your post, quite a lot. It's very wise and applies to your viva thoughts :wink:
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm

I think I need to reread A.A. Milne's complete oeuvre. ;) There's some sensible stuff in there, such as, "Would you read a Sustaining Book, such as would help and comfort a Wedged Bear in Great Tightness?" There's nothing like some good fiction and a nice cup of tea for helping me to appraise my own work in a kinder more rational manner.

1.) If I ever get to a DClinPsy interview I will be expounding on Winnie-the-Pooh stories as an excellent example of a psychological model of anxiety underpinned by cognitive and systemic theories. I love them so much.
2.) The estate agent phoned today. It looks as if I've got the flat I applied for, subject to satisfactory references. I'm a bit worried about the referencing issue as my most recent landlord was so awful I don't want to risk naming them, but hopefully the estate agents aren't going to dig too deep into why I've not used a current landlord.
3.) Do I dare to give gymnastics a try? Apparently there is a disability-friendly club in my new town...
4.) I was reading a play script last night and now I really want to direct it. I hope my new job gives me the time for creative stuff.
5.) Three days to go...
- A.A. Milne.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:56 pm

1. I've not posted here in a long time! I Hope everyone is well!
2. My head is baffled by thinking about 3rd year elective placements. Do I pick something I'm interested in? I feel like I don't know what area I would like to work in when (if!) I qualify.
3. Training has been busy recently and I feel like it's getting me down
4. I'm ready for annual leave. See points 2 & 3.
5. I finish FRIDAY :D :D :D
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:00 am

1-4. My immediate colleagues and I in this band and higher need to re-apply for our jobs. Several important posts are getting axed entirely, or halved. Work feels hopeless right now and morale is seriously suffering.
5. Christmas is stressful and expensive and a major sore point since my family are split down the centre with irreconcilable differences.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:03 pm

1 - 5.) I passed my viva with minor corrections. It wasn't the ordeal I was imagining - they were actually pretty easy questions, with one tough one that made me wobble a bit. It was like getting fed a succession of marshmallows followed by an unexpected gobstopper. Now exhaustion has come crashing down on me (I didn't sleep last night) and hopefully when I wake from my snuggly nap it will have sunk in that I am Dr Lingua.
- A.A. Milne.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:59 pm

lingua_franca wrote:1 - 5.) I passed my viva with minor corrections. It wasn't the ordeal I was imagining - they were actually pretty easy questions, with one tough one that made me wobble a bit. It was like getting fed a succession of marshmallows followed by an unexpected gobstopper. Now exhaustion has come crashing down on me (I didn't sleep last night) and hopefully when I wake from my snuggly nap it will have sunk in that I am Dr Lingua.
Congratulations!! That's a huge achievement. I often hear from fellow colleagues and PhD friends that their viva was never as bad as they expected, I think it may have lulled me into a false sense of security!

Out of interest what was the tough question relating to (if you can say/explain easily?)

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:25 pm

The tough question related to my methodology. I'd written a very forceful critique of certain postmodernist approaches to my topic, and explained why I found it unethical to apply such ideas and vocabulary to young people growing up in a situation of political violence and serious inequality/segregation. I offered a phenomenological approach instead. One of my examiners challenged me on this, but not in a hostile way. She's read far more than I have so I found it difficult to respond to her points!
- A.A. Milne.

reishi

Post by reishi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:34 pm

lingua_franca wrote:The tough question related to my methodology. I'd written a very forceful critique of certain postmodernist approaches to my topic, and explained why I found it unethical to apply such ideas and vocabulary to young people growing up in a situation of political violence and serious inequality/segregation. I offered a phenomenological approach instead. One of my examiners challenged me on this, but not in a hostile way. She's read far more than I have so I found it difficult to respond to her points!
That sounds very interesting. When everything's all done, can you send me a link to your thesis? I'm assuming it will be on an electronic database at some point, but maybe you wish to publish it as a paper as well? In anyway, I'd like to read that :D
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:00 pm

1. Quite enjoying writing essays and reflecting on my ability as a therapist.
2. It's getting so close to Christmas and I cannot wait.
3. It's all so festiveeeee!
4. Treating myself for finishing one of my essays by baking mince pies.
5. Yum mince pies....

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:12 pm

reishi wrote: That sounds very interesting. When everything's all done, can you send me a link to your thesis? I'm assuming it will be on an electronic database at some point, but maybe you wish to publish it as a paper as well? In anyway, I'd like to read that :D
It will be online in its current thesis-form and hopefully it will be available as a much more interesting book! I will keep you posted.

1.) I've just learnt that a friend of mine has died, aged 91. She had a big influence on me as a teenager. I used to avoid asking her lots of questions about her life, as she much preferred to focus on the here and now, but she survived the Holocaust (most of her family didn't) and now I wonder if I should have asked her more about them. I just didn't want to be tactless. Her death is not a surprise to me and I've had time to prepare, but it's shaken me up even so. It's weird to think she's not around any more.
2.) - 5.) I had other thoughts but this one has driven them out of my head.
- A.A. Milne.