5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
workingmama
Team Member

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by workingmama » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 am

1. I have stopped attending Pride for strongly held political reasons, and the discussion above makes me feel sad that I no longer believe that Pride represents all of us. I don't think, looking back, that it ever really did, but that has become more apparent to me over the last few years.
2. I have many things to do, none of which I am doing whilst playing on the internet.
3. Disappointed that my bullet journalling plans did not work out as anticipated. Bah.
4. Must order very bog standard diary.
5. Looking forward to changes in job over the next couple of years.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
PinkFreud19

Post by PinkFreud19 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am

workingmama wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 am
1. I have stopped attending Pride for strongly held political reasons, and the discussion above makes me feel sad that I no longer believe that Pride represents all of us. I don't think, looking back, that it ever really did, but that has become more apparent to me over the last few years.
2. I have many things to do, none of which I am doing whilst playing on the internet.
3. Disappointed that my bullet journalling plans did not work out as anticipated. Bah.
4. Must order very bog standard diary.
5. Looking forward to changes in job over the next couple of years.
Would it be okay to ask what about Pride feels that is not representative?

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:00 pm

I no longer feel that Pride as a movement is supportive of lesbian women, and this recognition/belief coupled with a discussion with some friends last year made me recognise that lesbian women have always been the poor relation in terms of representation, funded research and supported activism by the main representative movements (e.g. Stonewall and Pride). It just doesn't feel a joyful place for me right now, and I don't believe I'll ever walk with Pride again. To each their own, and all that.

PinkFreud19

Post by PinkFreud19 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm sorry that that's your experience. I've never been to pride, so I wouldn't know at all, but it does not surprise me when thinking about it. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 am

workingmama wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:00 pm
I no longer feel that Pride as a movement is supportive of lesbian women, and this recognition/belief coupled with a discussion with some friends last year made me recognise that lesbian women have always been the poor relation in terms of representation, funded research and supported activism by the main representative movements (e.g. Stonewall and Pride). It just doesn't feel a joyful place for me right now, and I don't believe I'll ever walk with Pride again. To each their own, and all that.
That's a shame but not a surprise to me either. It is another reminder of why intersectional feminism is so important. However, I met a lady the other day who is starting up a femme lesbian network and wants to address some of this. I think it was called Afemmera. Hopefully if more people band together and are willing to speak up for groups that are not currently recognised properly things will change. I'm encouraged that younger people seem to in general be way more accepting of variation in gender and sexual identity than the generations that have come before.

1. Building work underway at last!
2. Need to catch up with my to-do list. I'm barely breaking even, and not making any progress on anything beyond the day's essentials.
3. Birthday party went well, and I made the picnic (though I let them buy a cake as my oven is not very reliable).
4. VAT inspection has highlighted problems :(
5. Why am I up so late when I have to be up early tomorrow to deliver some training?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:39 pm

1. After the pre course preparation day yesterday I am getting very excited about September. And terrified. And doubting whether I can do it. Frequently all at the same time 😂. It has suddenly all become quite real.
2. Feel the need to buy stationary (this is a common theme when I feel overwhelmed- if the massive to do list is written in a new notebook with a new pen it doesn’t seem quite as bad...)
3. I also need to get round to finding a new netball team as one glance at the timetable has told me I will really need my non psychology down time
4. Of course that does also require me to find somewhere to live
5. I have never known an nhs trust need the paper dbs certificate! I now need to work out which of the “this might be vaguely important” piles I have put it in and hope it’s not the one I spilled coffee over last week.....

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:52 am

Punkgirluk wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:39 pm
2. Feel the need to buy stationary (this is a common theme when I feel overwhelmed- if the massive to do list is written in a new notebook with a new pen it doesn’t seem quite as bad...)
I hear you!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:32 pm

Punkgirluk wrote:

Sorry, but the "Grammar Nazi"/pedant in me just has to point out that this should read stationEry not stationAry!! Latter means standing still and conjours up quite comical images.... Apologies for being so pedantic, but these things bug me!! Easy way to remember the difference - E for Envelope!!

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Geishawife wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:32 pm
Punkgirluk wrote:

Sorry, but the "Grammar Nazi"/pedant in me just has to point out that this should read stationEry not stationAry!! Latter means standing still and conjours up quite comical images.... Apologies for being so pedantic, but these things bug me!! Easy way to remember the difference - E for Envelope!!
And A for Staaaaaaaaaap :lol:

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:24 pm

😉😉😉😉

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 am

Sorry, I know that was particularly bad, but it made me giggle :)

1. Not feeling quite so awful about this placement any more, which is nice because it's my last placement and I've enjoyed training so I'd hate to finish on a bad note
2. Feeling very excited about seeing old friends over the weekend
3. Need to book in some riding lessons that my dad so kindly bought me for my birthday! Haven't been near a horse in years and missing it quite a lot
4. Job hunt job hunt job hunt - in the "ooh it's all so exciting" place at the moment, which is a nice change from the "oh dear it's all so terrifying and everyone else has jobs and I don't" place.
5. Sunshine :D

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:08 pm

1. Heartbreak is literally the worst pain in the world.

2. My goal is just to breathe and get through. Just to get by.

3. Work is helping as a distraction but I need to be aware that the rawness of what I have gone through/feel doesn't show.

4. I can't decide if I need people around me or if I need to be on my own.

5. *teary eyes* and breathe...
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:23 pm

1) Had a nice weekend away in the camper van, at a little festival with my brother and his family.
2) Now a demi-nonagenarian, as my brother so kindly put it.
3) Been a bit challenging on the health front the last couple of weeks. Niece got quite a serious concussion. Daughter got a minor eye injury, and in an unrelated incident a handprint sized bruise from a fall. And yesterday I had a migraine which knocked out my left field of vision for a few minutes which was a bit scary, as I had been told only a few days prior that my intraocular pressure was dangerously elevated and could risk visual field loss if left untreated.
4) One of my cats got a scratch in his eye and across his eyelid today. Cue ten days of cat-wrestling to feed him the anti-inflammatory and put in the medicine to help his eye recover without an ulcer or infection. £100 worth of vet bills. On the good side, we didn't have to pay for one of the four medicines, as it was the same chloramphenicol ointment that one of my kids has just finished using, and there is still enough left in the tube.
5) Building work making visible progress is such a relief after two years of getting nowhere!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

mungle

Post by mungle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am

1) Having a morning of feeling an inadequate psychologist - it still rears it's head several years after qualifying!
2) On the other hand one thing I love about this profession is I will always be learning and having new reflections until the day I peg out
3) My dog is very grounding...and doesn't seem to struggle with middle-age existentialism
4) Very much enjoying watching Wimbledon again this year #serandy #murena
5) Loving watching the bees enjoy the wildness of our garden

Mishi

Post by Mishi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Me too mungle! #fedal