5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
Victoriomantic

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by Victoriomantic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you! :D :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:04 pm

1.) I have an interview invitation for a research fellowship in a wonderful department and lovely city. :shock: I feel a bit dazed. I didn't expect to get an interview, as my research interests don't quite fit the brief they set out in the advert. I emailed them to ask if they could consider me anyway (and to suggest a few reasons why they should). A few years ago I wouldn't have dared to do that. Clearly the more confident approach pays off.
2.) Continuing in the confident theme, I can wear those snazzy new trousers that I almost didn't dare to buy.
3.) I'm rereading RD Laing's The Divided Self at the moment. It's a fascinating book, but I always feel torn over his work. I find it difficult to separate his compassionate writing about psychosis from the cruel way he treated his own family members when they were struggling with psychological difficulties.
4.) Time to do some laundry and forage for lunch.
5.) I have period pain. Lunch needs to consist of a 500g chocolate bar. Two of them.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:32 am

1. I think it is finally over.

2. I had the viva. I survived. I hope I said enough to pass. Results soon :D

3. I am really enjoying the CBT role, I need to fine tune my week and rota but the transition has been better than I expected so I feel really blessed.

4. Few busy weeks ahead in the social calendar but I am looking forward to enjoying them without the dark cloud of the last few years.

5. I miss home.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:44 am

1. I PASSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can now call me 'Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist' :D Actually cried upon opening email :oops:

2. Feels unreal to have finished. I really want to focus on enjoying the next few weeks and sit with this feeling.

3. No more excuses for not going gym/eating properly now that I actually have time in my life - kind of yay...

4. Retail therapy as reward is also awesome :D

5. 'sighs calmly' - I am blessed.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Congratulations!!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:53 pm

Congrats nomnom, that's great :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:57 am

Thank you Victoriamantic and Miriam :D

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:58 am

Congrats nomnom. I hope you've updated your work email signature. ;)

1.) My flight was delayed by seven hours and didn't take off until nearly five o'clock in the morning. The delay was the same length as the flight itself. My bed has never looked so lovely and cosy.
2.) Hell-flight aside, I had a great visit with my childhood best friend. We've known each other for twenty-three years, and when I met her, I was reminded of why we're still close. The disarming honesty, for a start - I hadn't been in her house for an hour before she was eyeing me critically and announcing that I needed to get a more supportive bra. Everyone needs at least one friend like this in their lives.
3.) The lady at the cattery seems reluctant to restore my cat to my custody. I can't blame her. My cat has that affect on people.
4.) How do you choose between two clashing job interviews that can't be rescheduled?! Both opportunities look really good in their different ways and I'd be happy doing either. At the moment I'm inclining towards the one with the higher salary, but that feels a bit mercenary...
5.) I seem to be coming down by a cold. I am not going to a job interview full of cold. I refuse. Ginger tea it is.
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm

I did lingua! I hope you're feeling better and rested.

1. I still don't think it has fully hit me that all the studying is over. I find myself with time for the first time in so many years. A part of me wants so sit with it but the other part of me is grieving at not being as busy!

2. It doesn't help that my personal life has also changed recently so I'm sure some feelings of upset and loss are coming from this too but just need to ride out this period.

3. I need some reflection time. Firstly to tolerate how I am feeling and then to plan working towards other goals so I don't spend too long in this 'lull' period.

4. I really need to clean my room. I have so much stuff that I don't need or wear which needs addressing. Hmm, trip to charity shop or maybe a car boot sale :D

5. Fasting today and all I can think about it coffee and coke... :oops:

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm

1.) Can’t believe it but after what seems like forever, all the disappointments and feeling I would never get anywhere I get offered two psych jobs in one week! So pleased to have had to make a decision I never thought I’d have to make - which job to take! Think I made the right call.
2.) Feeling very odd that I’m finally leaving my job - I’ve been so desperate to go for so long and yet I genuinely am going to miss it in a lot of ways. Kept having some odd out of body moments thinking about leaving.
3.) I hope I can actually do this!
4.) Trying to get out of my head and enjoy the feeling for a while
5.) Fun weekend plans should definitely help!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Esuma, isn't that always the way - they're like buses! I've been job-hunting too, as the end of my contract is drawing near, and after a dispiriting trudge through reams of application forms, the same thing has happened to me! Congratulations on your new job. I hope you enjoy it.

1.) I am so excited about my new job. It's only three days a week, so money will be a bit tight, but it's permanent. This is a refreshing change after short-term contracts. It's also quite different from anything I've ever done before, and I think it will stretch me.
2.) My new workplace has a therapy dog, a great big lollopy individual. He was in the interview room, and he got himself involved in welcoming me. When I came home my cat was sniffing me suspiciously, and then she spent the evening in a foul mood, ducking attempts to stroke her in a very haughty way and trying to dismantle the kitchen. I feel like a cheating partner.
3.) I had the best vegan French toast yesterday. I need to persuade the cafe to give me the recipe.
4.) My very patient editor would quite like to see my manuscript this side of the heat death of the universe. I will get it to her this week. I will.
5.) Now I know I will have employment on the other side I am really looking forward to my holiday on the Northumberland coast. I will be able to enjoy it without constantly checking NHS Jobs and jobs.ac.uk. In fact, I'm deleting those two from my Internet history right now.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:47 pm

1. Recruited to all my vacancies, and feeling very positive about having a complete team soon: AP, p/t admin, p/t business development lead, p/t post-doc researcher, plus contractors for coding, graphic design, tech support and my project in the NW. I've also got a business plan, and a company valuation and projected figures for our growth plan. So I hope that we can make some progress towards scaling up over the next year.
2. I've had horrible stomach ache for several days now, probably because I ate some food that was past its use by date. I didn't even enjoy the fresh corn on the cob I had at lunch, and I'm missing eating dairy.
3. I feel like I've spent so much money in the last week - new shoes and school uniforms for the kids, plastic crates to store stuff in, craft materials, a commercial grade strimmer for our driveway/orchard, the PSVR for my other half's birthday, the repairs to the van, new towels/bedding, and a big food shop.
4. On the other hand, we finally got the tax rebate that was due, and the payment for the biodiversity scheme on our farm, and it looks like we are coming to the end of my compensation claim from when the lorry rear-ended me in 2015. So hopefully we will be able to get on with all the stuff we've been putting off.
5. Lost my planning appeal, but in retrospect prefer the scheme that was approved and think it might be more cost effective to build. Hopefully after 2.5 years here we are finally ready to get on with the modernisation/extension of the house, and conversion of the barn into a holiday cottage.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Congratulations Esuma & Lingua, and Miriam too -- lots of exciting and big things for you Miriam, I am in awe at everything you have going on!

1. Finally starting proper work on my KSA... as usual I am making it too big a task for myself
2. Fitbit giving me a "3kg lost" badge is surprisingly uplifting, I don't want to lose much weight but I wasn't getting anywhere at all before!
3. Need more weekend, wish I could work part-time
4. As usual, stressing about how much I can't afford to rent alone let alone buy
5. I am not ready for autumn... glad we've had some nice sun even if not rain

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:39 am

Congratulations Esuma & Lingua! Miriam - that all sounds very exciting!

1. I am broke. How am I broke? I don't understand. I only go to Costa twice a day, seven days a week *rolls eyes*

2. I feel quite stuck at the moment. I feel very blessed with my working life - the job, the role, the team are all amazing. My personal life is another story. Ever have that moment when you feel something is meant to be but you did it wrong? That is where I am through no fault of my own (genuinely) and despite how much I care for him, I'm not sure if I can get past his disrespectful behaviour no matter his apologies. Until today, I have felt frustrated and perhaps angry. Today, I feel sad and scared that we may have lost something others spend a lifetime trying to find. What to do with that...?

3. In other news - I almost finished cleaning my room. 3 bag of clothes to charity later and 2 bags worth of paperwork shredded and my room feels cosy again. It has also renewed my interest in house hunting :D

4. I am confused by the weather! I don't mind hot or cold but a day with both is really making getting dressed/preparing for the day too much effort. I am looking forward to winter wardrobe :D

5. I need a holiday. But refer to point 1 :-(

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:05 am

1) Really can't get over post-holiday blues, timed quite conveniently with PMT. I'm just a delight at home at the moment. Poor boyfriend.
2) Being newly qualified is hard to get my head around. Expectations of me, expectations that I have of others, how I internalise my position, and feeling woefully on the back foot in literally every thing I do here. (Really hope that others struggle with this stuff too... it's not exactly imposter syndrome, but more 'WHAT EVEN IS ALL OF THIS! I NEED A GROWN UP! HOW AM I THE GROWN UP?! WE NEED A BETTER, PROPER GROWN UP')
3) Not looking forward to my birthday at all this week (on account of point 1, plus being at work and then away with tedious things all weekend), but really looking forward to a couple days off next week and doing nice things to make up for a poorly executed birthday.
4) Really need to book those flights for a long weekend (also to help alleviate point 1). I'm going to do that tonight.
5) I hope the shoes/insoles I've ordered fit and help improve my pain/quality of life. Renewed dedication to physio exercises will hopefully help too.