5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
benbrand

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by benbrand » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:56 pm

1. Got a distinction in my MSc, which I managed to execute whilst holding a full-time job. Whilst also trying to give myself a pat on the back and take a step and recognise that I have accomplished something, I can't help but have this niggling fatalistic voice in the back of my head telling me it will make little difference to my application this year. Sigh.

2. Started working as an online therapeutic companion/coach for people experiencing psychosis. I've had some difficult situations with a client which have made me feel quite insecure about my ability to help. This person has been particularly manipulative and quite snappy with me, which I'm noticing I'm becoming sensitive to. Supervision has been an incredibly useful tool this week.

3. I'm doing this Whole30 diet and have been really enjoying cooking this week. I do miss refined sugar/bread/cheese and have been having dreams where I'm swimming in pizza.

4. My partner's dad has been living with lung cancer for the past two years and unfortunately, his condition is deteriorating quite rapidly. I'm finding it difficult to support her as her sadness can manifest as frustration and shortness, which I react to.

5. The weather is picking up. I'm going to finish these 5 things on a good note! Going to the river this weekend to have some friend time and swim! Exclamation marks for all!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:47 am

Congrats on the Distinction, benbrand. (Whether or not it makes a big difference on your application, it's still a difference to you!)

1.) I wish I could get my cat to understand the concept of a Saturday morning lie-in. She was indignant that breakfast did not appear at six a.m. as usual, and she parked herself on my face (very vocally) to make her feelings known. I need to get one of those bowls with the timers.
2.) I love my new job. It's the most rewarding but challenging thing I've done in a while. I'm teaching in a school for teenagers with social, emotional, and mental health difficulties. Last week I had a student I'd never met before who began the lesson curled up in a monosyllabic ball on the sofa. I wasn't sure if I handled the situation well, but I must have done, because they went to the head the next day to say how much they'd liked the lesson and to ask if they could do a full GCSE in the subject. I feel really touched.
3.) I'm busy redesigning my website. I will need to top up my income somehow, as I only teach three days a week, and I'd quite like to try self-employment. I'm a storyteller and I've occasionally been booked for workshops in the past, although I've never really marketed myself - it was all by word of mouth. I'm wondering if I could offer storytelling in mental health and SEN settings, and manage to get enough bookings to help me out. I feel a bit embarrassed to even try, as it seems like such an odd thing to do, especially in this financial climate. When there are so many funding cuts, who will pay to hear stories and to learn how to tell them? And there are so many famous storytellers out there. But I want to give it a go.
4.) My parents are visiting today. I need to identify where I'm taking them for lunch, because my dad is never going to eat the very oniony and garlicky concoction I made last night.
5.) I need to catch up on overdue emails. I must seem so rude to people, as I often take ages to reply, but for some reason getting through a mound of non-urgent emails is one admin task that I find really offputting.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 am

lingua_franca wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:47 am
2.) I love my new job. It's the most rewarding but challenging thing I've done in a while. I'm teaching in a school for teenagers with social, emotional, and mental health difficulties. Last week I had a student I'd never met before who began the lesson curled up in a monosyllabic ball on the sofa. I wasn't sure if I handled the situation well, but I must have done, because they went to the head the next day to say how much they'd liked the lesson and to ask if they could do a full GCSE in the subject. I feel really touched.
3.) I'm busy redesigning my website. I will need to top up my income somehow, as I only teach three days a week, and I'd quite like to try self-employment. I'm a storyteller and I've occasionally been booked for workshops in the past, although I've never really marketed myself - it was all by word of mouth. I'm wondering if I could offer storytelling in mental health and SEN settings, and manage to get enough bookings to help me out. I feel a bit embarrassed to even try, as it seems like such an odd thing to do, especially in this financial climate. When there are so many funding cuts, who will pay to hear stories and to learn how to tell them? And there are so many famous storytellers out there. But I want to give it a go.
Both of those sound amazing lingua!

And super congrats on the Masters Ben!

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:28 pm

1. The next step on the journey continues again... keeping it quite secretive this time. :D
2. Feeling quite positive about my work situation & how far I've actually come in the past year
3. I really want scrambled egg on toast when I get home..
4. The Bodyguard is getting so good... how are we almost at the end of the series already!?
5. :D

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:46 am

1. Do your KSA, do your KSA, do your KSA, do your KSA

2. This does not bode well for HI if I can't get brain in gear to do work outside of working hours again!

3. That's probably not a bad thing though, now I've learned relaxation is a good thing, gotta find those new boundaries

4. Ill on my week off work! Thanks body!

5. Do your KSA, do your KSA, do your KSA, do your KSA

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:25 am

1. fed up of hearing people being negative about 2:1 degrees and how they won't ever make it on to clinical psychology training. It's completely untrue and it causes people to feel they aren't good enough.

2. You can achieve anything if you believe in yourself and you have put in the effort :D

3. Really looking forward new training next week and being able to put my past clinical experiences into good use!

4. Is it lunchtime yet?

5. SO HUNGRY.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:00 pm

1. I really need to get on top of my planning for work! I didn't realise I would be bombarded with so many opportunities so soon after qualifying. Don't get me wrong - I am feeling very blessed and very grateful but it is clashing with my original idea of staying still, focusing on the role and my life outside of work for a while. Hmm. Decisions.

2. I am ready for winter :D I went winter wardrobe shopping and I am very excited for all my knitwear and items that will keep me cosy in the upcoming months.

3. Trains and accommodation booked to culturally deliver training on adapted behavioural activation for Muslims in Oxford in November :D

4. Flights also booked to deliver above training in Turkey in December :D

5. My heart is still broken by the fact that Costa have changed their chai latte powder to syrup :-( completely destroyed an iconic drink and a thing of comfort for many. Life will not be the same again... That's £35 a week you will not be getting from me anymore!
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:10 pm

1.) Still feeling rather irritated by an opportunity coming up at work as soon as I left, it felt a little bit of a slap in the face but sure it was unintentional
2.) I am a constant bundle of anxiety at the minute, I don’t do well with change and concerns about how things are going to work is really stressing me out
3.) I still don’t really feel like I’ve celebrated the exciting opportunity I’m starting on a Monday due to practical concerns and anxiety!! Hopefully next week I’ll be ok.
4.) Really really hope I pass my driving test, getting to new job is going to be a nightmare otherwise
5.) At least I’ll be healthy cycling to work?!

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 am

1) I wonder when I'll stop feeling like a trainee...
2) I'm having some really nice moments with a client who is just too unwell for direct work (has been for years). It's not anything close to 'therapy' but it means something to me. It's connection to hope if nothing else.
3) Really must do more ankle physio!
4) I adore the new shoes I bought. They're pretttttty pricey for a pair of flat pumps though... now to stop myself buying them in every colour.
5) Lease car. The impulsive child in me wants to order it NOW, the responsible adult knows it's a better idea to wait until the end of the summer when my terrible old car's MOT expires and I've gone up a payband. Delayed gratification is not my forte.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:15 am

AnsweringBell wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 am
5) Lease car. The impulsive child in me wants to order it NOW, the responsible adult knows it's a better idea to wait until the end of the summer when my terrible old car's MOT expires and I've gone up a payband. Delayed gratification is not my forte.
Order the car!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:01 pm

1.) I also made an impulse buy - some really spectacular boots that look like something out of the Renaissance. I wanted them three years ago, but they cost £160 and I couldn't afford it. Then all this time later I saw a pair on eBay for less than a third of the price. I have yeti feet (size 9 / 43) so it's very rare that I find women's shoes I actually like, especially given this horrible tendency of British shops to describe an EU 42 as a UK 9. It isn't, dammit, it's small and it squashes my toes. But now I have comfortable affordable splendiferous knee-high boots!

2.) I'm really enjoying my course on psychoanalytic approaches to child development. The reading for this week was a very thought-provoking synthesis of attachment, neuroscience, and psychonalytic theory. It's making a difference to my work, and it's good for me on a personal level too. It's much more experiential than any other course I've taken, and it's forcing me to slow down and really think.

3.) I've cut back on my volunteer commitments, spoken to my publisher about extending my manuscript deadline (my editor was lovely about it), and my week now feels just the right amount of busy. I'm doing a lot, but the sense that I'm about to suffocate has vanished. I'm glad I was brave enough to recognise that I needed to do less, and that I was able to push past all the nagging perfectionistic worries that I was somehow weak for stepping away from some activities.

4.) In less good news, I'm developing a cold. :( I think I'd find martyrdrom at the stake marginally easier to bear than the common cold.

5.) I'm going to look at a new flat this evening. It's in a tranquil area near woodland, but seems much smaller than my current place. I think it might be worth putting up with less space for the sake of the semi-rural location, as I'm not really cut out for city centre living, but I'll have to see.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 pm

1. My partner's father passed away 3 days after my check-in. It's been tough supporting someone who's going through such grief. Poor girl.

2. My job has picked up. I managed to drop one of the clinics I've been at, which had an incredibly poisonous dynamic. Now I'm working more individually with client/participants in their home and community, which I'm loving. As much as I complain about working within these services at times, I love love love working and being part of my client's communities. There's something incredibly special about the people I work with sharing their life and surroundings with me.

3. I attended a conference on Early Intervention in Boston last week. I found it to be incredibly refreshing- the theme of peer-involvement and the need for a qualitative narrative contextualising service-user research was quite pervasive.

4. I have two papers I'm writing. Both on cognitive remediation, which I'm finding myself less and less interested in, but, I get a great deal of satisfaction in academic writing!

5. It's too hot in the San Francisco Bay Area today.