Cognitive assessments for people with visual impairments

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

faz121

Cognitive assessments for people with visual impairments

Post by faz121 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows of any assessment tools or papers regarding measuring IQ for people with visual impairments. I am trying to complete a cognitive assessment and a bit stuck on what to do really.

The person I'm working with has a severe sight impairment thus ruling out any of the performance subtests from the WAIS IV. So far all I have completed with the person is the verbal subtests. I'm not sure if people are aware of/are using other assessments tools. I've Googled the area and haven't found anything relevant to be honest.

Would be greatful for any help :D

Thanks

Gilly

Re: Cognitive assessments for people with visual impairments

Post by Gilly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:43 pm

are you trying to measure their IQ, or are you just looking at whether they have any cognitive impairment?

because with IQ, you would struggle due to current constructs - even the WASI uses block design/matrix reasoning...

If its just that youre looking for cognitive impairments, there are more verbal subtest you could attempt...
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:45 pm

If they cant see, then they cant see. you should report verbal iq and then the necessary verbal cognitive tests e.g. Verbal recognition and recall, (WMS, A/BMIPB) naming (graded naming by description), executive funtion tests that use verbal material e.g. phonemic fluency, hayling, and you could use sonething like the elevator counting from the test of everyday attention for sustained and selective attention.

of course u may not be intending to do everything but just some options above...
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

faz121

Post by faz121 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks Gilly and Borrowed Cone for your replies.

I'm trying to measure their IQ so all the ideas you have suggested Borrowed Cone would have been more feasible for me to perhaps if I was completing a cognitive assessment. I should have probably been a bit more clear about the context in which I was completing the assessment - it's for an assessment to determine the person's eligibility for accessing a Learning Disability service. Any further ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 am

i know that the vocabulary subtest of the WAIS-IV has been used as a measure of premorbid functioning when people have been unable to read tests such as the WTAR/TOPF, it may be a good estimate of IQ - and you can estimate what range they fall into from their scaled score
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 pm

If your client scores extremely low on the verbal subtests that should be enough information for LD services given he cannot actually complete any performance tasks.
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."