what to do with old WAIS-R scaled scores

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

eponymous85

what to do with old WAIS-R scaled scores

Post by eponymous85 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

Hi there, quick question for the neuro bods.

I've got a set of WAIS-R scaled scores but no WAIS-R manual/conversion table etc. Is it possible to convert these to VIQ/PIQ/FSIQ etc? My gut feeling is that the conversion tables for WAIS-IV can't be used. Any suggestions?

Thanks
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

faz121

Re: what to do with old WAIS-R scaled scores

Post by faz121 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:24 am

Hi

There's a copy of the WAIS R where I work, if you would like me to look up the scaled scores for you?

eponymous85

Re: what to do with old WAIS-R scaled scores

Post by eponymous85 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks faz121 that's very kind of you. However had a really interesting discussion with a senior colleague who advised against interpreting someone else's data, when you don't have the other info available (e.g. observations of how they went about the tasks, contextual information etc.). The scores on their own won't be the full picture without this info. On the balance of things I think it's probably best if I don't attempt a detailed interpretation of the data!
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.