Lezak - 5th edition (worth it?)

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

captain artichoke

Lezak - 5th edition (worth it?)

Post by captain artichoke » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I already have a copy of the 4th edition but am considering selling it and getting the 5th. Anyone whose seen both able to offer any advice on whether its worth it. I work in neuropsych and am hoping to do a bit of CPD (i.e. reading said Lezak) to develop my knowledge. Is the new one worth it in terms of updated info, ease of reading etc enough to fork out the significant money?

Thanks
CA

helmel16

Re: Lezak - 5th edition (worth it?)

Post by helmel16 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Hey there!
I haven't read the previous one but managed to get the new edition out of my study budget. Absolutely love it! My Neuropsych supervisor has every edition of this published so I suppose if neuro is your speciality, its worth it to be up to date.
Anyway, I've just had a look at the back of my copy and things that they state that are new for this addition are:
* New structual imaging techniques and a wealth of functional imaging has been utilised in a large colour plate section with fully explained photographic and neurodiologic images of both healthy and diseased brains.
* New resources such as Neuroimaging Primer, a comparision table on the neuropsych features of progressive demtias and the several sets of diagnostic criteria for concussion.
* Recently published texts and test batteries are evaluated as well as older ones.
* Chapters on assessment techniques, tests and procedures provide a foundation for evidence based neuropsych science and practice.

Not sure if this will help you make your decision, it is an expensive book which I probably wouldn't have purchased with my own money until I was in my first qualified neuro post though. I suppose like most new editions, it will cover a lot of the same ground but include any new develops in the past decade.

captain artichoke

Post by captain artichoke » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll see if I come across a copy at work and have a look. I like the sound of accessible stuff on neuroimaging.

Thanks again

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Heya

as a proud owner of the 5th edition - I would say, depends on your level of training or what you're planning to do in the future - its a really great update, but its a lot of money, and i'm not sure the pay off is worth it if you already own the 4th and are at a pre-qual level, what are your feelings of neuro as a future area that you might go into?
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm

I think someone should buy it for me as a present.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis