WAIS-IV discrepancies?

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

faz121

WAIS-IV discrepancies?

Post by faz121 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I'm looking at the neuropsych results of a patient on the WAIS-IV and I can't recall how big the discrepancies need to be before the FSIQ is non-interpretable. Does anyone know this? For some reason I have completely forgotten and need to use it for a report this weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

greendog

Re: WAIS-IV discrepancies?

Post by greendog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:09 pm

For WAIS 3 it was +/- 24 pts wasnt it? I had a similar issue recently as it is certainly not as clear in the WAIS 4 handbook. Can't remember what I found in the end.

HedleyLamarr

Post by HedleyLamarr » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:11 pm

BlueCat wrote:I would suggest you check the technical and interpretative manual for further information, or perhaps perform a literature search. There will be documented comparisons available. We have said it before on here, but to use information given on a publically accessible forum to inform your decisions/advice/reassurance about cognitive/neuropsychological assessments is inadvisable. Whilst I doubt anyone would give you deliberately misleading information, it is a possibility, but also possible that someone may give you well intentioned advice, but that advice could be erroneous. In short, I would not suggest you rely on information provided on here to make that specific judgement. Sorry I can't be of more help!
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Ta Hedley :D
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 am

The information you are after may not appear in the WAIS-IV manuals. (though i can't be certain from memory). It does definitely feature in the Kauffman Essentials book http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-WAIS-I ... 1118271882 and probably in some literature.

If it is in the technical manual it will likely be in sections talking about calculation or standard deviation in samples.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.