Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders Book

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

ambersd

Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders Book

Post by ambersd » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that focuses on various interventions for child and adolescent eating disorders? I am primarily interested in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Cognitive Remediation Therapy, Motivational Enhancement Therapy and family therapy.

Also, could anyone recommend a good biography that has been written by an individual who experienced an eating disorder as a child/adolescent?

Thanks in advance :) .

lingua_franca

Re: Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders Book

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 am

All the books I know are either self-help guides for sufferers or aimed at parents/caregivers, so not much help there. I can recommend a few autobiographies. Marya Hornbacher's Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia is a beautifully written, lucid, and thought-provoking account of her illness, which took root when she was six or seven. (It's a pretty harrowing read, and I know that some ED sufferers have found that it disturbs them, so I'd be cautious when recommending this one to someone else.) Then there is the YA novel Monkey Taming, which is a fictionalised account of the teenage author Judith Fatallah's own experiences with anorexia - it's particularly valuable as she was still a teenager herself when she wrote it, and in the process of recovering. Finally there is In and Out of Anorexia, which was co-written by a therapist and one of her ex-patients (a teenager at the time of treatment, now an adult).
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

ambersd

Post by ambersd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Thank you very much for your recommendations, I will order them from amazon now :)

Chalice

Post by Chalice » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Chris Fairburn's Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Eating Disorders is excellent - it has a chapter on working with young people. Janet Treasure is another name to look into, she has written several books, primarily for carers but there may be some stuff on motivation. Overcoming Binge Eating again by Chris Fairburn is also really useful, not just for binge eating but in my experience for most eating disorders.

Hope this helps!
------------------

You Don't Have To Be Great To Be Great

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:30 pm

There is a book getting better Bit(e) by bit(e) is good.

The biography side of things have you looked on you tube? Im aware that its not a book but there are some very good documentaries on it including 'Im a child anorexic' 'Dana the 8 year old anorexic' and 'Thin' these are documentaries looking at inpatient treatment principally at Rhodes farm though 'Thin' is based in the US.

redsky

Post by redsky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:38 am

A number of my clients have enjoyed reading Eating by the Light of the Moon by Anita Johnson. Not a biography, but rather a collection of stories that the author connects to EDs. Amazon link