video clips showing emotions?

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Mya

video clips showing emotions?

Post by Mya » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any resources that could be used to help demonstrate emotions or some of the more subtle social responses (such as sarcasm) for people with a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder? I've been trying to find some video clips of some sort but not having much luck!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks
M

Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: video clips showing emotions?

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 pm

May not be suitable but there is an American series available on netflix called 'Lie to Me' which is an American crime drama with the main character being a human lie detector and he solves crimes with a psychologist through deciding if people are lying. The series are illustrated with clips of what people look like when showing contempt etc. these are mainly famous people. It is more snapshots but you might find something on it.

Soldierwhy

Post by Soldierwhy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Randomswirls wrote:May not be suitable but there is an American series available on netflix called 'Lie to Me' which is an American crime drama with the main character being a human lie detector and he solves crimes with a psychologist through deciding if people are lying. The series are illustrated with clips of what people look like when showing contempt etc. these are mainly famous people. It is more snapshots but you might find something on it.
Loosely based on the work of Paul Ekman who posited the six universal emotions - anger, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness, and surprise.

Not sure if you can find video clips of these but there are photos around, I gave a presentation on this a while back and used the publicity shots of Tim Roth displaying the emotions alongside the original shots of the Papua New Guinea tribesmen showing the same.

I also managed to fit this clip into the presentation as well, can't for the life of me remember how or why but it made sense at the time! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiU6TxysCg

A feeble attempt at showing universality of emotion even in primates perhaps?

redsky

Post by redsky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:57 am

I second the work of Paul Ekman. He was a pioneer in the field of facial affect. However, I'm not sure whether he worked with the autism population. Jeff Cohn might be another person to contact. He's at the University of Pittsburgh, and if I'm not mistaken, has some publications on autism.