Shared activities between pts & staff

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Ruthie

Shared activities between pts & staff

Post by Ruthie » Tue May 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi,

I want to start a shared mindfulness group where both inpatient staff and patients take part together. I am trying to find any research looking at ANY shared activities where patients and staff take part together. I can't find anything and I'm also struggling to think of good search terms.

Any suggestions?

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

BlueCat

Re: Shared activities between pts & staff

Post by BlueCat » Tue May 27, 2014 11:07 pm

I can only offer ideas from LAC, but hand massages work well.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Wed May 28, 2014 6:50 am

Thanks BC - I've got some ideas (actually one very good one) but I need to convince a charity to give us a grant to take it forward so looking for research evidence to back me up (bad science, I know!)
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

Toria

Post by Toria » Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 am

Would it fit to draw on the SU involvement literature in terms of SUs and staff being positioned more 'equally' and the benefits if this?

Sounds like an interesting idea- good luck with it!
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Loula

Post by Loula » Wed May 28, 2014 9:25 am

I think that this paper might have delivered a mindfulness group jointly in nursing homes, although the abstract isn't great...http://journals.lww.com/topicsingeriatr ... and.6.aspx

Also, less relevant (but if you're desperate!), this one looks at a jointly delivered mindfulness intervention for cancer patients and their partners http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... ated=false

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu May 29, 2014 2:45 pm

What about looking at things like recovery colleges? I run a mindfulness group with a facilitator/staff member (OT and now a psychologist) and my role is facilitator/service user. We had service users, carers and staff attending and it worked really well with everyone getting something from it and it was a real collaboration. The next one I'm running introduction is on Tuesday so I can let you know how it goes and who we have booked on if you want?