Book recommendations for formulation

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Natellie123

Book recommendations for formulation

Post by Natellie123 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Hiya

I am toying between buying Johnstone and Dallos formulation in psychology and psychotherapy or Eells Handbook of psychotherapy case formulation. Any recommendations?

Gilly

Re: Book recommendations for formulation

Post by Gilly » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 pm

depends on what your level of prior knowledge is - the Johnstone one is really rather basic, but it gives a decent introduction to different formulation types and covers the early stage basics, and the second edition has an extra chapter on team formulation, but I think you can grow past it quickly.

The Eels one is less useful from memory - its got a lot of stuff in it which isnt as useful clinically (someone else may have to offer more on this!) and is really rather dated - I wouldn't really recommend.

So, Johnstone and Dallos imoho, with the provision that its a book that you may grow out of quite quickly once you begin using formulation more regularly. Does that make sense?
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

reefflex

Post by reefflex » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I am not a fan of the johnstone book, but I have found the Hallam book to be really good:

Hallam (2013) Individual case formulation. Academic press.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Individual-Form ... 0123982693

sv650biker

Post by sv650biker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Natellie123 wrote:Hiya

I am toying between buying Johnstone and Dallos formulation in psychology and psychotherapy or Eells Handbook of psychotherapy case formulation. Any recommendations?

What is your level of knowledge with regards to formulation? Are you looking for a whistle-stop tour on the different ways of formulating or do you want something a bit more in depth?

I have the older copy of the Johnstone book and felt it offered me a much better introduction to what formulation was all about and I felt it equipped me with some ideas as to how to go about formulating with some of my own cases.

I didn't like the eells book as I felt it didn't really fit with how I worked. Part 2 covered the following approaches: psychoanalytic approach, core conflictual relationship theme, configurational analysis, cyclical maladaptive patterns and the plan formulation method. It then covered a case formulation in the following approaches: IPT, CBT, DBT and emotion focused therapy.

I really liked this book but it speaks from a CBT perspective only. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assessment-Form ... GMMT9VBZ8Y

Hope that helps!

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 pm

It's specifically CBT based formulation but Collaborative Case Conceptualisation is good for looking at different levels of formulation and how to do it with people in a collaborative way.

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

hettie

Post by hettie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:44 pm

I can second the recomendation for "collaborative case conceptualisation".... on another note my supervisees often ask me about formulation...hwo to do it, how they can learn how to do it... I have run training sessions on it, but always stress that it is a skill that improves with doing it...Read the books, get practising and start runnign them past your supervisor.