Reflection on clinical work

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

JLx

Reflection on clinical work

Post by JLx » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 am

Hello!

I am starting to take note of some of the patients that I have worked with in terms of what the main issues were/ rough formulation/ any particular challenges during sessions/ interesting interactions etc. etc. and I was wondering if anyone had made a sort of reflection-diary, and if so, does anyone have a template/format that I might find helpful to get me started?

I am thinking in terms of potential future applications and interviews and think it would be really helpful to have a reflection log/diary to look back on so I can use the cases as examples. I am talking completely anonymous, very general, notes- not actual patient notes!

Please let me know if you've done something like this, I'd really appreciate it :)
I love people who smile when it's raining

emjayeff

Re: Reflection on clinical work

Post by emjayeff » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:38 am

I use a reflection journal, and I find it really helpful as my style of learning is very visual! I don't have a particular format though - some days I write as if it is a diary entry, sometimes in bullet points, sometimes I use mind maps, whatever I feel on the day. I think the most important thing is the content, so brief description of the situation (enough to jog your memory), what you did, what theories informed your practice, whether you used any articles/books, what went well, what didn't, what you can draw on to support further clinical practice, how your supervisor felt.... all different factors to support reflection.

I find it a great tool for reflection, and it has definitely come in handy while revising for job interviews etc. There are so many cases you work on, theories you use, evaluations you complete, that it can be easy to forget!

HedleyLamarr

Post by HedleyLamarr » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:48 am

Hi JLx, there is quite a detailed wiki entry about reflective journals, I wonder if that might be quite helpful to get you started?

viewtopic.php?t=955
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Lola24

Post by Lola24 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:59 am

Hi JLx

Sounds like a good plan and I certainly think it is a very beneficial thing to keep a diary/log. I second what others have said and the link that HedleyLamar posted is great and very detailed. In terms of a template, I know I have always found using a model helpful to keep me focused on a structure (eg what happened, what I felt, what I did, what others felt/did, how it went, what I learnt (maybe linked back to what you had expected or what you initially felt), what I could do differently, how I have put that learning into practice etc). The models I have typically used have been Gibbs or Kolb.

When applying / interviewing for the doctorate, looking through the log and having done it in the first place really supported my reflective skills . I know in interviews then, having really got into the practice of reflecting, I had a clear structure of how I might reflect in my mind and then I could talk that learning through more naturally and concisely. I think before I started doing reflective logs, my reflections were much more rambling!

One thing I would say is (it may well say this in the link, I haven't re-read it properly), try to pick some cases that you can positively reflect on aswell as thinking about what didn't go so well. I think we often naturally think about what didn't work in terms of learning. It's important to think about what did work aswell and what helped it to work well. I also found it helpful to think about some cases that brought up particular emotions in me aswell as some general reflections in my day to day practice, either on myself or on interactions with colleagues etc.

Good luck with it!
Lola

JLx

Post by JLx » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi everyone thank you so much for your answers!

Really helpful tips to start a journal and that link has loads for me to get my teeth into-thank you for sharing it!

I agree, I am guilty of reflecting on situations that didn't go so well and how I could do things better next time, but I need to give more focus on things that have went well, especially for my application next year!

Thanks again :)

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:56 pm

This has prompted me to want to start a journal :)

kaaatt

Post by kaaatt » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:19 pm

amyaston88 wrote:This has prompted me to want to start a journal :)
Me too! I started a reflective diary yesterday regarding a therapeutic group I am sitting in on at the moment, found it really useful to reflect on both the content, experiences shared by clients and their interactions, and how the facilitators have dealt with awkward/difficult situations and comments! I'm hoping I'll be able keep it up and have time to start doing this for my individual clients and also to use these in supervision! :D

(Sorry amy, it looks like I'm stalking you a little bit today - I don't mean to be a creep!) :oops:

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:39 pm

kaaatt wrote:
Me too! I started a reflective diary yesterday regarding a therapeutic group I am sitting in on at the moment, found it really useful to reflect on both the content, experiences shared by clients and their interactions, and how the facilitators have dealt with awkward/difficult situations and comments! I'm hoping I'll be able keep it up and have time to start doing this for my individual clients and also to use these in supervision! :D

(Sorry amy, it looks like I'm stalking you a little bit today - I don't mean to be a creep!) :oops:
Haha no worries :) I am gonna buy myself a nice notebook next time I'm out!

musingonthemind

Post by musingonthemind » Sun May 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi... I use a reflective diary. Of immense value to my learning. What I do though is have one electronic main document which is the diary, then throughout the week I will email myself thoughts or insights as they occur! Then every so often I copy them into my main reflective log in date order. Really easy way of doing it, and takes away the monotony of having to do a reflective log every day etc. Means that when ur in a meeting, or just after a conversation you can capture those thoughts quicker and then not have to worry about writing them down later.

JLx

Post by JLx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:03 am

Yes! I loved writing a journal when I was a teenager, and I love writing when I'm travelling. I have been off the radar for the last few weeks due to the DCLinPsy interview and now I feel I could do with treating myself to a nice new notebook for my thoughts :) Paperchase-watch out!!!

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:03 am

JLx wrote:
Yes! I loved writing a journal when I was a teenager, and I love writing when I'm travelling. I have been off the radar for the last few weeks due to the DCLinPsy interview and now I feel I could do with treating myself to a nice new notebook for my thoughts :) Paperchase-watch out!!!

I bought myself a nice paperchase notebook and have since started a reflective journal :)

I've been using it for a combination of personal life reflection and work reflection, and have sometimes used a model and sometimes just written freely. Just taking time to find the style I find most helpful!

JLx

Post by JLx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:40 pm

amyaston88 wrote:
JLx wrote:

I bought myself a nice paperchase notebook and have since started a reflective journal :)

I've been using it for a combination of personal life reflection and work reflection, and have sometimes used a model and sometimes just written freely. Just taking time to find the style I find most helpful!
That sounds so great! I think I will do the same, a mix of free reflection and using a model, as it will help me from turning it into a "should do" task, and hopefully help me really get somethig from it!

Thanks all :)