Bereavement

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Toria

Bereavement

Post by Toria » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:26 pm

Hello clinpsyers,

I am in a new job in adult physical health and occupational health and seem to be seeing a few patients with difficulties related to bereavements. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any resources, papers, books, ways of working, advice etc. as I haven't done bereavement work before. I will also be taking this to supervision but want to do some reading beforehand.

Thanks a lot in advance :)
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Will
Team Member

Re: Bereavement

Post by Will » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:35 pm

It is very CBT-focused/technical and not specific to bereavement...so not sure how helpful in this case...but my go-to recommendation is 'Cognitive Therapy in Adverse Life Circumstances', which is a chapter in Frontiers of Cognitive Therapy (Salkovskis). It can be picked up pretty cheap second hand on Amazon. I found it a useful prompt for helping me to figure out what my role might be in helping someone through a difficult process of adjustment.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

noodle

Post by noodle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:47 pm

A self help book, but I've found 'overcoming grief' helpful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Grie ... 184529677X

Pink

Post by Pink » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi Toria,

I've found Paul Boelen's model of traumatic grief helpful in my work with people bereaved by homicide-pm me your email address if you like and I can send you the paper + some slides from training by him recently. I like that model because it offers a clear framework for intervention whilst honouring the attachment processes and normalising the grief.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

new job sounds exciting, do keep us posted & good luck

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

Toria

Post by Toria » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:31 pm

Thank you Will, noodle, and Pink for your really helpful messages. Pink - I will PM you my email address now.

Thanks again,

Toria

Morningstar

Post by Morningstar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi Toria

The teaching we've had on dying and bereavement drew on some ideas from narrative approaches and there were two papers that I found particularly useful:

Lorraine Hedtke - Stories of Living and Dying - http://rememberingpractices.com/pdf/Sto ... 0Dying.pdf

Michael White - Saying hullo again: The incorporation of the lost relationship in the resolution of grief - I can't find this online but I have a PDF I'd be happy to send you if you PM me your email address.

They might be more or less useful depending on the ethos of your service, your own style as a therapist and the experiences of your clients.

I'm not sure about the contexts of your clients' bereavements, but The Loss Foundation do some great work with people who have lost a loved one to cancer, and their website has a number of articles on loss and grief, as well as resources that people have found useful:

http://thelossfoundation.org/

Toria

Post by Toria » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:02 pm

Thank you so much Morningstar - that all looks really helpful. I will PM you my email address now if you don't mind sending the PDF of the Michael White article? Thanks again :)

Liv

Post by Liv » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 am

This might not be a very helpful response, so if it isn't apologies in advance - I haven't worked professionally with bereavement, but I have been on the 'other side' - my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer when I was 20 and died when I was 22, and I had bereavement counselling through a hospice for 18 months (12 months before, 6 months after) as well as a 6-week bereavement group whilst receiving inpatient treatment, and this is some of the things that I personally found useful.

I think the 'Blob' people can be really helpful for some people, even if just as a basic starting point or for people who are struggling to put things into words.

I think practical activities can also be really beneficial. My counsellor at the hospice used to do things like asking me to bring in photos of my mum and we would just talk about those photos, and just talk about my mum. That in itself can be really therapeutic, just to talk about the person and feeling like it's ok to do so.

Some activities/homework/things that we did in the inpatient group included finding a poem that represented our grief, making collages to represent our grief or our loved one, bringing in a song that represented it/them and listening to that song as a group and talking about what it meant, in the penultimate session we had a task to write a letter to our loved one as homework and to read it aloud in that session (this is a particularly difficult task a lot of the time but was incredibly beneficial), and also to spend some time thinking about the 'future' and what we did have in our lives.

Again, apologies if this isn't helpful, I know it is more 'anecdotal'!

Toria

Post by Toria » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:32 am

Thank you for sharing your experiences Liv: I really appreciate you taking the time and energy to do that. I think that anecdotes can be just as, if not more, useful as more academic information. So thank you again :)