Cognitive Analytic Therapy & young people

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Randall

Cognitive Analytic Therapy & young people

Post by Randall » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Please someone correct me if I am wrong (I haven't done the most systematic of searches, so could easily be wrong...); but there doesn't seem to be much of an evidence base for CAT being used with young people?

Interested to hear if there is!

greg

Re: Cognitive Analytic Therapy & young people

Post by greg » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:22 am

Hey Randle

I haven't either, but I suspect you could be correct. I went on the two day training and they didn't rule out its usefulness with young people (like in a more flexible manner), however the trainer did suggest that in it's more pure form it might not be totally applicable due to 'personality' being a more fluid and still developing thing at a younger age. (Though tbh, if that's the argument, then maybe we should be thinking about whether CAT should even be offered pre-mid-twenties?)

Interested in your thoughts?

Hope you are well!
Greg :)

Psychological

Re: Cognitive Analytic Therapy & young people

Post by Psychological » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm

I thought I had seen something about this on Twitter recently but I just did a search and cannot find what I was looking for.

I did find this post which may point you in the right direction:

@CatalyseC
John Mulhall Reformulation article describes necessary flexibility in use of CAT in 6 session closed groups for adolescents in inpt setting