Migraine resources

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

bex4010

Migraine resources

Post by bex4010 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi,

I am working with a young person who is currently experiencing migraines leading to increasing amounts of time off. Can anyone point me in the direction of useful reading / resources. I am starting with psycho-ed and exploration of triggers so any reading on how talking therapy can help to reduce the intensity / frequency of migraines would be great - this isn't something I have worked with before.

The formulation is that the migraines are triggered by stress, which relates to attachment type issues however; in order to foster trust it was agreed that work would begin with current difficulties and work towards talking about historical issues.

Again, any advice / pointers would be great.

Thanks!

bex4010

astra

Re: Migraine resources

Post by astra » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:32 am

My immediate thought is that mindfulness would be a useful first step intervention. You'd need to read up on it in general, Jon Kabat-Zinn writes some really good stuff on it and has some really useful apps on the App Store for your own use and information. For a young person I often recommend the Smiling Mind app which is free to download, you have to sign up to it (and I think people run into a problem with it not recognising UK postcodes, but I got around that by just putting a string of numbers into that field). It gives a nice introduction to mindfulness and people tend to find it quite calming. I do think you need to understand mindfulness pretty well yourself before trying to use it with clients though, so it depends what your knowledge is already.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

daydreambeliever

Post by daydreambeliever » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:37 am

Hi, I'm a Clinical Psychologist in CAMHS with some experience in this area. Do you know much about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy? If not, it's worth looking into that approach to chronic pain as it has a good evidence base.

Here's a practical resource that might help:

http://www.paintoolkit.org/news/article ... ung-people

bex4010

Post by bex4010 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank-you for your replies both are really helpful - we are using the smiling mind app and I will take a look at those resources you both recommended.