Supervision query

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

heg122

Supervision query

Post by heg122 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 pm

I will be leaving my position as an Assistant Psychologist in next couple of months. Over the past year, the relationship with my clinical supervisor has been somewhat a challenge.
How appropriate do you think it would be to ask my supervisor (Clinical Psychologist) about how she has found supervision with me? I want to have his understanding of this because I want to see his perspective so that I can reflect further and improve things moving forward with my next supervisor. I have had 3 other clinical supervisors in the past and have never come across the these difficulties with them.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
firegal
Team Member

Re: Supervision query

Post by firegal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 am

I think it is entirely appropriate, and I'd phrase it pretty much as you have in your post - at times you've experienced the supervisory relationship as challenging and you'd appreciate the space to reflect on it and hear any things they think you could do to improve future supervision.

However, bear in mind that supervisors are people too, which means you might not like the answers you hear, some of that might be useful insight that just happens to be a little hard to swallow, some might be because it's just a bit of a personality clash, or possibly because they might actually not be a very good supervisor (speaking from personal experience as someone who ended up on the receiving end of a very lengthy and uncomfortable rant when I raised issues with a past supervisor). Just be prepared to reflect honestly on what you hear and don't be scared of ignoring some of the bits that really don't fit.

heg122

Re: Supervision query

Post by heg122 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Thank-you for such an encompassing reply. :)