WAIS ethics

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Amina

WAIS ethics

Post by Amina » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:39 am

Hi there,

I am going to be delivering some training to our new cohort of SW students, and one of the topics they have identified they would like to know more about is cognitive assessments. I have previously delivered some training with a colleague, and we included a demonstration of some (fake!) WAIS questions. I am trying to work out how much info I should put in....... We have a policy that other professionals should not sit in on actual cognitive assessments, and also that we should keep our assessments and materials in a locked cabinet with access only by Psychologists or APs. I am wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any written guidance on this (it must be on the BPS site but I seem to be finding mainly WAIS training when I search!). I once had feedback on a report that I had included too much information on subtests, so had to re-write that part and am now much more careful! I would like to give the students enough info to understand at least the Indexes in a bit more detail but don't want to make it so dry and boring they fall asleep!

Previously (along with the demo!) we had given some background to cognitive assessment, explained what and why we use in our service, given vignettes with background into and asked people to say whether they thought each person would be suitable to refer for cognitive assessment and why, talked a little about how cognitive criteria work together with adaptive/social functioning...etc etc.

Thank you!

maven
Site Admin

Re: WAIS ethics

Post by maven » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:54 am

I'd start by explaining the bell curve of IQ, how common it is to have ID and how that requires functional impairment as well as a long score, and how IQ assessment isn't entirely culture free. I'd also mention that online tests and mensa tests are either fake, unvalidated, or have different SD, so people who share their scores to show off their superior intellect are actually often doing the opposite!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Amina

Re: WAIS ethics

Post by Amina » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Aha yes that's fab, thank you mavern!!