EMDR

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

lakeland

EMDR

Post by lakeland » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi,

For those trained in EMDR - have you experienced clients recalling an incident in a very clear consecutive order during phase 3? As in, the way that they would recall it if they were just been asked to retell it without bilateral stimulation?

Thanks

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
hs577

Re: EMDR

Post by hs577 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 pm

My view for phase 3 is that you want this to be succinct and try and encourage the client to select the still image that represents the worst part of it or other aspects such as a sensation etc. I've experienced clients who understandably want to explain in detail but for phase 3 it should be typically brief. Even for phase 4 you don't want to spend ages between sets and just look at what comes up for them out of triggers, images, cognition, emotions and physical sensations. I also remember that they wanted to keep our interweaves between sets short which is something covered in the second part of the training.

By all means discuss with your EMDR consultant but the above is just what I was thinking.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks hs577. In the case I'm thinking of, the client will give me a sentence between sets that follows on in a chronological way. So for example after one set it might be "I saw the car driving towards me" and the next one is "it crashed into me" (not real examples). It just struck me as unusual that the memory always comes out in order for this client. Does that make sense?

hs577

Post by hs577 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Ah ok. They might possibly be too much in their cognitions from what you’ve said possibly like an intellectualising defence. Maybe ask them where they feel this in their body. Also it might be worth looking at the abreactions chapter in the Shapiro book to give some more interweaves if they seem like they’re looping to the same bit.

nettyb

Post by nettyb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:44 am

Yes! This has only happened with one client out of 30+ so far. It actually felt very odd and didn't sit right with me, to the point where I was thinking there may have been some malingering, particularly in the context of their life story.