Self-help for anxiety / excessive checking

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Mephistofela

Self-help for anxiety / excessive checking

Post by Mephistofela » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you know of any self-help materials or techniques that I could use to help me manage my anxiety better. This is something that has been a problem for me on and off for many years, it mainly manifests as the need to check that I did things right, I suppose it fits a pattern of OCD-type difficulties. For example, I often experience anxiety about having left the hob on, not having locked the door etc, and this happens even if I checked thoroughly before leaving the house. Alternatively, if I am sure that I have not left the hob on I will get anxiety about something else such as leaving the faucet on in the bathroom etc, esentially my thoughts will fixate on 'something' having been forgotted or gone wrong. It's particularly problematic when I leave home for extended periods of time, such as going on holidays, when I usually take photos of the hob / heater to help reassure me later that they are turned off, but then I'll think of other things, for example last time I was worried that the door to the fridge was left open. It is not specific to household things, for example I have started renting a car recently and I often get anxiety about having forgotten to do something when returning it, such as not locking it up properly. I tend to seek reassurance and check excessively and even then I feel anxious afterwards. At this point this is not extremenly distressing and the checking does not take a significant amount of time, but I still think that this is a problem and it happens with a lot of regularity. Even though it does not significantly interfere with my life and sometimes I even feel like it is helpful (for example sometimes the anxiety makes me more thorough when I do things at work), it definitely causes me to feel stressed unnecessarily. I would welcome any suggestions for things that I could do to addess this.

Lancelot

Re: Self-help for anxiety / excessive checking

Post by Lancelot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Break Free from OCD: Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with CBT by Fiona Challacombe, Dr Victoria Bream Oldfield and Professor Paul Salkovskis could be a useful book.

Mephistofela

Post by Mephistofela » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Lancelot wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm
Break Free from OCD: Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with CBT by Fiona Challacombe, Dr Victoria Bream Oldfield and Professor Paul Salkovskis could be a useful book.
Thank you, I'll look into it.

jazzydwi

Post by jazzydwi » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:57 am

I'm not sure if I can post a link here, but you could also try the CCI workbooks, which are free CBT self help booklets broken down into modules.
There's not a specific one for checking/intrusive thoughts but there's some on distress tolerance and worry that could be relevant.

Hope you find what you need!

Mephistofela

Post by Mephistofela » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 am

jazzydwi wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:57 am
I'm not sure if I can post a link here, but you could also try the CCI workbooks, which are free CBT self help booklets broken down into modules.
There's not a specific one for checking/intrusive thoughts but there's some on distress tolerance and worry that could be relevant.

Hope you find what you need!
Thank you, I looked them up now and it seems like there's lots of useful things on the website, thank you for recommending it.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:15 am

Why not get some therapy? It is clearly impacting on your quality of life.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:20 am

The self help book by Richard Hyman (spelling?) and Cherry Pedrick is very decent indeed. It's on edition 5 I think at the moment, but you can get 3rd Ed etc for very cheaply on Amazon and there isn't a great deal of difference. I used it myself in 2004-ish and thought it was just the ticket, and recommend it for colleagues. If it doesn't work, obviously professional support might be a route you want to explore. Good luck!
Fail, fail again, fail better.