What if I don't make it? What careers are similar?

Information about qualifications, experience and the typical career path
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: The other side of paradise

What if I don't make it? What careers are similar?

Post by Spatch » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:17 pm

As most of us are aware, clinical psychology doctoral training posts are the "bottle neck", where there are many more applicants than there are places. However, with roughly a 75% yearly rejection rate, it does make sense to have a plan B. So for those of you thinking of how to pack your parachute, listed below are some of the possible options of working in a similar way, if the whole clinical route doesn't work out.

Counselling Psychologist

Health Psychologist

Forensic Psychologist

Clinical Associate in Applied Psychology (Scotland only)

Occupational Therapist

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies Low Intensity Worker
AKA 'Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner'

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies High Intensity Worker

Applied Behavioural Analyst

Associate Psychologist

Primary Care Mental Health Worker

Graduate Mental Health Worker

Support Worker

Academic/ Research Psychologist

Educational Psychologist

Cognitive Behaviour Therapist


Family Therapist


Mental Health Nurse

Social Worker

Therapeutic Foster Carer

Teacher/Special Needs Coordinator

Support time and recovery worker

Research Assistant/Associate

Group worker

Art Therapist

Drama Therapist

Play Therapist

Family Nurse Partnership Nurse

Health Visitor

Children's Centre staff

Family Support Worker

(Please add to, and expand)

To add to this thread, mungle made some helpful sggestions of other training options where a core profession is not always required:

With the EQL ruling (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 38/638.pdf), the fees for these might be much higher if you have already completed a Msc (e.g. in research methods).
The links below are only there to give examples and there might be courses running closer to where you live.

Arts therapy (music therapy, drama therapy, art therapy) (accredited programmes can be searched through the HPC website)
http://www.hpc-uk.org/education/program ... mit=Search

Sex and Relationship Psychotherapist: http://www.shsc.nhs.uk/our-services/spe ... ransgender

CBT Psychotherapist: http://www.derby.ac.uk/cognitive-behavi ... accredited

Family therapy: http://www.aft.org.uk/docs/Accreditedco ... ay2011.pdf

Group Analysis: http://www.groupanalysis.org/site/cms/c ... hapter=469

Child Psychotherapy http://www.childpsychotherapy.org.uk/content/how-train

Counselling qualifications: http://w3.yorksj.ac.uk/postgraduate/pos ... py-ma.aspx

Psychoanalytic therapy http://www.tavistockandportman.ac.uk/ps ... ticstudies

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by qualified Clinical Psychologist on 26/02/2012
Last modified on 26/02/2012

Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest