Variety vs sticking with a good post

Information about qualifications, experience and the typical career path
miriam
Site Admin

Variety vs sticking with a good post

Post by miriam » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:56 am

Having a mixture of research and clinical experience, or experience with several client groups, does tend to be preferred by clinical courses in my experience. I think the decision to stay or move on depends very much on the quality and range of experiences you are getting in your current post. For example, if you can do some research within a clinical post, or if you work with varied client groups or in a split post across services, these would be reasons to stay longer in a post. Likewise if you feel you are still learning a lot, and are getting very good supervision and opportunities for continuing professional and personal development then it might be worth staying. If, however, you are now familiar with most of the work and there is nothing new on the horizon, staying out won't add much to your CV.

Re no. of posts: It’s perhaps worth bearing in mind that the majority of successful candidates spend around two years undertaking relevant experience, and the number of (AP) posts people end up with may be related to the average age for starting training (27/28 ). Also, unfortunate as it is, every year courses are forced to turn down candidates they know to be suitable due to the limited number of training places available.

Re application forms: As useful as AP posts undoubtedly are in terms of relevant experience, would be inclined to avoid linking ‘success’ to any one single factor, whether ‘number of (AP) posts’ or anything else. Often what stands out (to me) about the candidates that get offered interviews is that they seem to have made the most of whatever experiences they have had, and are able to reflect upon what they have learned in an articulate manner; (as a result) they tend to stand out in ‘other’ ways too. They also appear to have cultivated a sound and realistic grasp/idea about what clinical psychology in the NHS might actually entail - often, many otherwise ‘suitable’ candidates (with plenty of research/clinical experience and other ‘favourable’ personal qualities) don’t always take this into account. by Guest 23
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf