Recommended reading: Statistics, Audit and Research

Information on research, statistics and publications - tips including how to recruit participants, gain funding, understand your results and get them published.
maven
Site Admin

Recommended reading: Statistics, Audit and Research

Post by maven » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Statistics and Research books recommended by clinpsy members
Each book is linked to Amazon, so you can buy it or get more information by clicking on the title.

Research Methods/Design

Barker et al. (2002). Research Methods in Clinical Psychology: An Introduction for Students and Practitioners, 2nd Edition: An Introduction for Students and Practitioners

Giles, D. (2002). Advanced Research Methods in Psychology

Kadzin, A. (2002). Research Design in Clinical Psychology

Mitchell & Jolley. (2006). Research Design Explained

Sapsford, R. (2006). Survey Research

Statistics

Brace. (2003). Spss for Psychologists: A Guide to Data Analysis Using Spss for Windows, Versions 9, 10 and 11

Coolican, H. (2004). Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology

Dancey & Reidy. (2001). Statistics without Maths for Psychology

Field, A. (2009). Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods series)

Green & D’Oliveira. (1999). Learning to Use Statistical Tests in Psychology (Open Guides to Psychology)

Howell, D. (2006). Statistical Methods for Psychology

Pallant, J. (2004). SPSS Survival Manual

Tabachnick & Fidell (2006). Using Multivariate Statistics

Sheskin, D.J. (2007). Handbook of Parametric and Nonparametric Statistical Procedures was recommended by damnsaiyan, as a 'bible'.

Qualitative Research

Murray & Chamberlain. (1999). Qualitative Health Psychology: Theories and Methods

Smith, J. (2007). Qualitative Psychology: A Practical Guide to Research Methods

Wilig, C. (2001). Introducing Qualitative Research in Psychology: Adventures in Theory and Method

Audit and Service Evaluation

Patrick, M., & Davenhill, R. (1998). Rethinking Clinical Audit: Psychotherapy Services in the NHS.

Williams, R. & Kerfoot, M. (2005). Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services: Strategy, Planning, Delivery, and Evaluation.

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum.

Content checked by a 2nd year trainee Clinical Psychologist on 18/09/09
Last modified on 18/09/09
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BlueGems

Re: Recommended reading: Statistics, Audit and Research

Post by BlueGems » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:54 am

For quantitative

Andy Field see : http://www.statisticshell.com/

or

Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (2009) Third Edition

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:41 pm

BlueGems wrote:Andy Field see : http://www.statisticshell.com/

or

Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (2009) Third Edition
That's already on the list, I think? :) Well. The homepage isn't, but the book is. But I do like Andy Field, he's great! I love cats, so his books are right up my street.

Oh also, I would recommend the following for Research Design:

Harris, P. (2008). Designing and Reporting Experiments in Psychology
Quite a basic, but definitely useful, introduction.

[Edit: Hmm, wonder why BBCode is not enabled here.] - I have fixed this for you. (ell)

BlueGems

Post by BlueGems » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks Mark, I'm going to try and get a copy (the Research Design book), sounds very useful, I like going by recommendations!