Poster presentations

Information on research, statistics and publications - tips including how to recruit participants, gain funding, understand your results and get them published.
escapee

Poster presentations

Post by escapee » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:06 pm

The first thing is to check what is usually done in your department/organisation, is it possible to have it printed as one big poster. If possible, this is the preferred option because it flows much better. If not you can produce your poster on a series of A4 sheets. A poster should cover all elements of your study (Title, Authors, Institution, Abstract, Introduction, Method, Results, Discussion & References), use headings to split up the sections.

Main tips
Find out the maximum size the poster should be, and whether it will be displayed portrait or landscape
* Keep text to the absolute minimum – One tip I was told was to write all of your text for the poster in under 500 words, then only add absolute essentials
* Try to stick to two or three main colours, I usually use a light colour for the background
* Use self explanatory pictures and graphs/charts to break up the poster. Using a contrasting background colour will help them to stand out. These should be visible from a distance
* Use a large font (20 at the very least)

Usually I produce my posters in Powerpoint, you can set the dimensions for the final poster and zoom in and out to work on it. Powerpoint also has gridlines that you can move about to ensure the text and graphics all line up. Other programs can be used such as word or publisher (or their equivalents).

Title
This should be readable from a distance, the bigger the better.

Authors
If possible include first names to facilitate interaction. (I usually put a * by my name and underneath put *presenting author)
Titles are rarely used

Abstract
This should include an overview of your poster, that way people can read and see if they want to read more.

Introduction
This should include clear concise statements about the research. These should then lead to declarations of project aims and objectives. If you have lots of aims, you may want to address just one or two of them within the poster; you can always talk about the others if anyone is interested.

Method
This is usually my most detailed section, I outline the participants, materials (including pictures), design and procedure.

Results
Try to ensure that these directly address the hypotheses. Include tables and graphs rather than text if possible.

Discussion
I usually look at how my study addressed the hypothesis, a criticism, a strength and what I’d like to so in the future.

References
To save space on posters I usually use numerical referencing, then put the references in small text at the bottom of the poster.

General
Usually I can produce a poster in a day (though my first took several). I usually have research written up, leave longer if you need to refine results or another section. Posters are very easy to get carried away with though, refining the layout, etc. So a deadline could be useful. I usually allow plenty of time for printing.

The presentation
If you can take A4 printouts of your poster for people to take with them, or at the very least, your e-mail address and poster title on handouts so that people can request a copy.

At the conference, usually you put your poster up earlier in the day and there is a set time to go and stand by it, whilst other people peruse the posters! Often these sessions are accompanied by wine, which encourages people to stay and converse. The task as presenter is to answer questions and provide further details, occasionally conferences ask you to do a small presentation of your poster for a few people (there would be advanced warning of this). And smile :D
more info on conferences here

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by ell on 26/02/2012
Last modified on 26/02/2012