Qualified area?

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
russ

Qualified area?

Post by russ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 pm

I've been having a few conversations about the lack of an online space where qualified clinical psychologists can network, talk shop and otherwise discuss topical things. I also wonder whether there's maybe not much incentive, apart from altruism (which wears a bit thin once one is qualified) to stay involved with the forum here post-qual, so I wondered if we could perhaps kill two birds with one stone. I've no real sense of what the space should look like, but I wanted to canvas interest for a qualified section of the forum - is it needed, and what might you want from it?
metrotherapy: personal and professional development for psychologists at all stages in their career

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:05 am

A qualified area would be really helpful for me. However, you would need a critical mass of qualifieds in order to make it worthwhile.

I notice that after training and once you are working there are far fewer avenues to discuss issues for CP, and even working in an MDT you often feel others don't always "get it".

I am not sure if you are thinking it would it be completley open which would limit what we could say and talk about, or if it would be closed, which may promote more discussion but be in danger of being divisive.

astra

Post by astra » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:49 am

Great minds think alike. I was just wishing there was somewhere I could air some issues about supervising and get some feedback but being mindful that someone I'm supervising could be reading this etc etc. for this reason could it be a closed space like the mods area?
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

escapee

Post by escapee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm

I think Dorothy mentioned something about this recently. Whilst I wouldn't benefit from an area like this yet I would really appreciate a trainee area. So I'd definitely support a qualified area. It'd probably just be getting really useful when I am qualified to use it :)
Last edited by escapee on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:29 pm

I was thinking a trainee area would be really useful, as there isn't really anywhere specific for trainees to discuss things at present. A qualified area sounds good too :)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Although I won't benefit from it yet, I do think it would be a good idea to have an area for qualifieds to discuss pertinent issues. However, playing devil's advocate is there a risk that having seperate sections that others can't access adds to the stress and hierarchy of 'achieving' in this profession? i.e. being allowed in to an extra section of the site. I also wonder how the area could functionally be kept seperate - how will members' status be verified?

Just some food for thought.

ell

Post by ell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. When I have eventually got on the course/qualified I would probably want one. As an 'aspiring CP' I certainly wouldn't be offended or anything if the qualifieds wanted their own zone. Hopefully they would continue to offer their useful advice and insights to the other areas of the forum - they really are appreciated!

Has anyone seen that episode of Frasier where they are at the health spa and they keep trying to get through to each successive level of the spa? I wonder which part of the clin psy process is analagous to when they go through the final platinum door and find themselves outside with the bins... :wink:

L

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:46 pm

I think a qualified forum would be very helpful, particularly for discussing supervision and MDT issues as there are things that you just can't say in a public forum, mindful of who else may be reading - not necessarily trainees and aspiring CPs but colleagues and supervisees.

I'd be a bit concerned about it seeming divisive - but I don't think I would have minded it being there before I was qualified. It may also benefit the forum by encouraging qualifieds to hang around for longer and thereby maintain their connection to the site.

As a trainee there was nothing that I would have been happy to discuss on a public form with other trainees that I wouldn't have been happy to discuss on the main website so my vote would be for a qualified forum rather than a trainee one.

Ruthie

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:37 pm

I can't be entirely sure why but the concept bothers me on some deep fundamental level. I suspect the best way I can voice it is (and this is by no means going to be flawless..).

From the point of view of someone not qualified, nor a trainee, but aspiring to be both, I would have a bit of a feeling about 'us and them' or more accurately a 'you havn't got to our level yet so you don't have the right to join our club'

I think my feelings around ClinPsy are that the forum promotes open discussion and honesty, whilst encouraging common sense with what is posted, ie, avoiding discussions which could have ramifications, or using personal details. I don't know that simply making a seperate, private forum would ensure security enough for anyone to post beyond what they already do, also, is it ethical to encourage this type of discussion on online forums? If it can't be said on the current forums, should it be posted online at all, or is there a better outlet?

The other issue for me is, this forum is a fantastic learning resource, we all have learnt / continue to learn from each others experiences, if that rersource is diminished by sifting out qualified only discussion, trainee only discussion and then the rest, will the forum be devalued for those not in those groups?

Just what comes to mind at the moment.. as I said, I'm sure it will be flawed in various ways and people are free to bash it down :P This all of course applies to a private, limited access style of forum addition.. mainly because I dismiss the idea of an open style of addition as pretty pointless, the current categories already cover just about everything.

katyboo

Post by katyboo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:51 pm

it sounds to me like a sort of online peer supervision group is what may be useful to you qualifieds- and i think that i woudl find something like this useful when i qualify as its not always possible to get the interest in such a thing in ones own service.

i dont think its 'us and them' to make it a closed group- cos the nature of supervising others would def make it tricky to discuss things on an open forum- especially when qualified members- such as miriam and Russ etc seem to have a deal of transparency about who they are in 'real life'!

ell

Post by ell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:32 pm

i dont think its 'us and them' to make it a closed group- cos the nature of supervising others would def make it tricky to discuss things on an open forum- especially when qualified members- such as miriam and Russ etc seem to have a deal of transparency about who they are in 'real life'!
I suppose though that this is Russ' and Miriam's (and whoever else's) choice when they come and post on the forum. Maybe it is impossible to have both openness about identity and posting about things that might be a bit personal (in the sense of talking about supervision stuff, rather than 'personal' issues). I must admit, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be Miriam's AP as I feel like I know lots about her life (paving probs, baby stuff, hubby). For myself, I know that I can be pretty open about my flaws etc on this forum, as well as giving away details that could make me identifiable. However, I know that anything I say would be no different to what I would say to my supervisors in real life (I am a very open person).

The other thing to note about a closed group is that eventually some of us would get through that platinum door and join it - what if it turns out I had been supervised by one of those qualifieds as either a trainee or AP, and I found a discussion about me on the forum? The boundaries between the groups of aspiring CP, trainee and qualified can be crossed.

L

ell

Post by ell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Of course, it is terribly egocentric of us aspirings to assume that the qualifieds would immediately all rush to a closed qualifieds' zone and start ranting about their supervisees!

L

baa

Post by baa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:56 pm

I think having a space for qualified as well as trainees is a good idea, however whether it's open or not I think that it would be better for general discussion of issues not a quasi supervision type of thing.

Because:

I subscribe to the BABCP jiscmail which is often used in this sort of way - someone recently emailed round about a supervisiony type issue and I could identify everyone they spoke about. This is probably a slightly different situation as people use their email addresses, however, I still knew exactly who was being spoken about and I could have forwarded the info about them to that person. It is relatively private in that you have to be a member of the BABCP, but there's a lot of us!

I am generally a bit paranoid about the internet, you pretty much have to assume that if you write something on an internet board, it will be read, not just by members of the board, but by lurkers who aren't necessarily going to introduce themselves. I'd say this about password protected areas too. Plus - dishing out passwords can be tricky, how do you work it out? I could be anyone signing up and pretending to be a qualified CP, whereas I'm actually an exAP with an axe to grind or a crazed stalker. You could ask me to scan in my NHS ID badge maybe :D

I'm getting sidetracked by my own paranoia :lol: General issues! A bit like on the regular forum when people post about clients. I think it might even be helpful to have it open, so prospective CPs can see what a CP life is life - a bit like wannabe APs being able to see posts on this forum.

Oh god, I don't know. I'm going to find a fence to sit on.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

Dr.Dot

Post by Dr.Dot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Yes please, yes please, yes please.
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

nettyb

Post by nettyb » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:17 pm

I'd really appreciate a qualified forum too! Please ...