Advertising on www.clinpsy.org.uk

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Advertising on www.clinpsy.org.uk

Post by miriam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Some updated forum stats for the last year:

Visits: 869,492
Unique Visitors: 348,670
Pageviews: 10,658,384
Pages / Visit: 12.26
Avg. Visit Duration: 00:05:50
Bounce Rate: 5.11%
% New Visits: 39.11%

As can be seen, our numbers of visits have increased and our bounce rate has dropped, despite us no longer paying for any google advertising. We remain a very 'sticky' site, with a loyal community of regular users. In every metric we are a highly successful site.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 am

And it keeps going up:

Visits: 977,730
Unique Visitors: 423,964
Pageviews: 10,693,267
Pages/Visit: 10.94
Avg. Visit Duration: 05:20
Bounce Rate: 6.35%
% New Visits: 42.08%
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Just a quick update to say that the advertising of posts in the jobs section and the banner adverts have reached the point of covering costs and may in time trickle in a little extra to repay my investment. The best ways that people can support the site are not just financial. If you get something out of the site, why not put something in:

1) Mention us when people are thinking about recruiting, advertising events or publicising courses
2) Review a book for our review section as this maintains our positive relationship with publishers
3) Use our amazon link (on the home page) to purchase anything from amazon - bookmark it so you use it to visit amazon, as your christmas shopping could cost the same to you but pay a few pence to us just by using the link
4) Suggest, organise and attend an event that clinpsy can organise
5) Donate to the subsidy fund of my social enterprise. It isn't directly related to the site, but its a way of allowing the work we do to reach further, by ensuring lack of funding is never a reason we have to turn away someone who wants to access therapy they can't get on the NHS.
7) Put up a poster about the site in your university or workplace, or tell friends and colleagues about us
8) Contribute to our twitter account, write an article for Aspire, converse with us, volunteer to be involved in research we are conducting about the site, update one of our wiki entries or suggest a new one
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Well, it's taken me five years, but I've just got the programmers to put in google adverts where the empty banner advert slots are on the site. We still get the most from specific advertising related to psychology for events, recruitment agencies, insurance, etc but these are not sufficient in number to fill our banner slots at certain times of year, so I am piloting letting google fill in the gaps. As ever, I'd be open to any feedback about whether this changes the user experience on the site.

Please note: These slots will be filled using google algorithms for the particular viewer - so if you get adverts for cottage holidays or new york department stores it will be because that is what you have recently browsed on chrome or searched for on google, not because we have agreed advertising for particular things or topics. We have asked for advertising suitable for a professional audience only, but there is a lot that can get through a safe search but still be inappropriate. So, if you see adverts for things that offend you or that don't fit with psychology, this is down to your browsing history and not to our content!
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:40 am

We've had a particular malicious user recently, who has made a number of incorrect allegations about the site. So for clarity, I thought I would bump this post and explain that although we do charge for advertising, this brings in a relatively small amount of money compared to the costs involved in setting up and running this website. Although we now break even for actual hosting costs, we still have to find funding for programming (including security updates) and for the images/typesetting involved in publishing copies of Aspire. Plus I am not sure that I will ever earn back what I spent in the first four years of the site (about £7k), and I have never taken a penny for my time - even though I have invested around 4000 hours (equivalent to approx 2 years of full-time work) over the last 11 years. You might like to know that I've declined offers to purchase or monetise the site, because I didn't create it to make money, and I felt they conflicted with everything we have worked hard to achieve here.

Likewise, I don't run the professional development days to make money - the charges cover the costs of venue/travel/materials, but rarely pay me anything for my time. The only time I have been paid for my time is when I have provided such training through the PQG of the BPS, who have chosen to subsidise the days for participants. If I wanted to earn money, I'd take on court work in the time, or provide commercial training to organisations - but this isn't my reason for running professional development events. I run them to "pay it forward" to early career stage psychologists, because I enjoy doing them, and as part of a wider mission to level the playing field for those who don't have personal networks that help them with the preparation process. I've also intentionally kept prices low to undermine the (IMHO potentially exploitative) market for personal coaching and training days that claim to provide insider information or increase your odds of getting on training.

So if you see our banners, job adverts or amazon links, please appreciate why they are there and click on them. But don't assume that these small attempts to subsidise our running costs are either lucrative, or the motivation for running the site - and remember to take such allegations with the hefty pinch of salt they deserve.
Miriam