Advertising on www.clinpsy.org.uk

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
eponymous85

Re: Advertising on www.clinpsy.org.uk

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 am

Advertising seems like a sensible direction of travel for income generation. I agree that a paywall would be off putting for many and I don't like adsense as there's no vetting. I'd be much more comfortable with selected advertising like the ones that have been trialled here.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

noodle

Post by noodle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 am

I was going to say something like 'charge for entry, it will keep out the rif-raff' but then I was able to forsee a backlash in how terms of how as a site we'd be discriminating against people with lower incomes/from lower income backgrounds so instead I will say 'Steal from the rich and give to the poor' which I appreciate has nothing to do with the topic but I felt the need to use a slogan!

Anyway, I'd be happy to pay a small fee....

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:23 am

i personally just want a bigger picture of my face and a coloured name..

:)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

ell

Post by ell » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Hmm, that's an interesting idea - to have the forum content free*, but charge for the fun added extras like big avatars and maybe the members area?

I would pay to see a bigger picture of your face anytime Gilly ;)

L

*I mean no charge for content, not to make the forum free of content :?

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 pm

The adverts don't bother me, I think most people are used to them as they are on pretty much every forum or internet site anyway.

I wouldn't like the idea of paying for access - I'm a trainee who regularly accesses this site, but a lot of people drift off after getting on training/ qualifying. I imagine people would be less likely to stay and pay for a service that perhaps is no longer as useful as it once was, although maybe some of the qualified members can comment on whether the qualified area is useful and would be worth the investment?

The BPS/DCP are really missing a trick by not being involved in this site IMHO

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for lots of useful comments.

We do have the ability to have paid job adverts, Spatch. We have coded a jobs page, and we can make the banner ads indicate that we have a "job of the month" or a "course of the month" or a "book/test/product of the month" if anyone is prepared to pay us to do so. Our site figures are now pretty enormous (10 million page views per year, 5000+ members of which hundreds of regulars visit the site daily) as well as having a niche audience, so we can offer adverts with a fee per 100,000 page views and various different formats. What we need to do is approach the people who advertise these things elsewhere and see whether they would invest in us. The problem is having the time to do so (any volunteers?), and also to make use of personal connections here. So, if anyone hears of anyone paying to advertise a post (eg if you work in a private provider) then please suggest us, if you know people who send products for review or who work within publishers or test companies or recruitment agencies or in HR with private providers please send them our way. We have the ability to offer personalised advertising packages according to need.

As to advertising endorsed therapists, I think it might blur the line that this is a professional support forum, and not one designed to attract clients of CP services. I'm happy if there are CPs who would pay to advertise services like supervision or personal therapy to people as part of their professional development though.

I've been on forums where there is a paid rank of membership with certain perks (eg voting on certain decisions, or being able to have a larger avatar, or being able to access certain areas), or where you have to pay to do things like change your username. My only concern is that I don't want to make it divisive or add to the sense that there are cliques within the forum.

Maybe we should ask some questions in relation to income generation as part of our user satisfaction survey, as we are planning to repeat that soon....
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 pm

lakeland wrote:I wouldn't like the idea of paying for access - I'm a trainee who regularly accesses this site, but a lot of people drift off after getting on training/ qualifying. I imagine people would be less likely to stay and pay for a service that perhaps is no longer as useful as it once was...
I agree. As a trainee I do like to visit the forum. I like to think it helps to have trainees on here so as to be representative and contribute to a balanced view of the application process and expectations of training as it exists at the moment.

I would not pay to do this.

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

FuzzyDuck

Post by FuzzyDuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:03 pm

The problem with charging for access is that people would like to get something worthwhile in return for it. The only reasonable thing I can think of, that is only plausible if the jobs board got put to good use, is to use it in the same way places like FreelanceSwitch and the like work. To advertise your own services if you're into contracting or whatever.

In cases like this you really have to consider added value before anything else.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Thu May 12, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't think charging for this site would work as I don't think people would pay for it. People just want to come on, browse, occasionally post and maybe look at the resources, which often just compliments the support and resources they already have.

I think advertising on the site is fine and the way forward, as long as it's reputable and it will bring in much needed revenue so this excellent site can continue.

As I stated earlier, I don't agree with members having a link under their name, they could be seen to be posting on certain threads, 'touting for business', some might even think they are posting just so people see the link and hopefully use it. This may not be the case, but it could be seen that way. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Pink

Post by Pink » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:34 am

I'm horrified that Miriam has invested so much into the site: it prompted me to join instead of browsing so that I can respond! Miriam (and all the mods) thank you so much for your kindness and generosity: this is such a valuable resource and makes such a difference to so many.

Is there any possibility of having a donations button? I feel that I've benefitted hugely from this site in the last six months or so and would very much like to give something back. I'd imagine many people would donate occasionally/when they get on to training.

Apologies if this has been discussed before and can't be implemented due to needing charitable status or something. The advertising doesn't worry me: it's discrete rather than intrusive, but the donations button as an extra (and less reliable) source of revenue could offset a little of Miriam's family holiday costs.

thanks,

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 am

Hey Pink, thanks for your comments.

I think the problem with a donate button is that I personally feel there are a few drawbacks: Firstly that it gives a false impression of how much income a site might generate, secondly that it would probably raise very little, and thirdly that it gives the impression of a charity when there are much more worthy causes to donate to.

From my point of view advertising is the best way to go, and we've now had a a few new advertisers, and a couple of advertisers have renewed due to the good response. If we gradually build on this, I believe we can reach a point of covering costs. A conference or event would be the next step, plus I'd also like to reach an agreement with the BPS whereby they pay an annual fee to promote their events and memberships on our site. For a site with so much traffic our costs are actually very modest, and we offer a very good deal to advertisers.

Hopefully now I am less overwhelmed with other stuff I can organise the action group to pick up the projects on the site, including promotion, income generation, the conference and research. If Oxygen choose to maintain their association with us and we can pick up adverts from some of the publishers of books and and psychometrics, as well as some job adverts, we'll be well on the way :)
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Just to update on this, here are our forum stats for the last financial year:

Visits: 762,883
Unique Visitors: 282,276
Pageviews: 9,178,240
Pages/Visit: 12.03
Avg. Visit Duration: 00:06:27
Bounce Rate: 12.15%
% New Visits: 36.22%

So that means we are a high traffic site with a regular/loyal audience who view quite a few pages per visit. I've also discovered other sites with this level of traffic charge treble the advertising rates that we do.

We've secured a few long term advertisers, some of our advertisers have renewed their associationg with the site and we've had several one-off job adverts. Some of our adverts have had 2 million page views! Plus I've reduced costs by stopping our google adverts, so we are on track to have our first break-even year :)
Miriam

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Happy to donate, pay to join, or fundraise - let me at it!

It's such a great site, and I've got so much from it over the last years.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 am

Just a little note that since we've got our act together and made it easier to contact us about advertising, we've had several promising new enquiries, and this year the site may break even and in time start paying back my investment. I am also hopeful that the reviews section could help in this regard.

If we've got the balance right so that advertising is not too intrusive and we can cover running costs and recoup my investment, I'd say that is an all round win. But if anyone is inclined to take a more active role in helping out with the site, please let me know.
Miriam

FuzzyDuck

Post by FuzzyDuck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm

When I'm less busy and have cleared up my backlog of things to do, I'll focus on optimising the site (basically stripping out everything but the front page and forum, since the rest of the site outside of the forum isn't exactly useful) and making it easier to run these adverts. Maybe even sort out a more modern livechat now that technology has improved so much.

While the adverts will bring more money in, I can at least try and attempt to cut some of our costs by making things more efficient :)

This is more of a mid/long-term goal than anything, but it's something I'm keeping in mind as I fiddle with things behind the scenes.