Hello: Introduce yourself here!

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
Millie

Post by Millie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 am

Hi all,

firstly congrats on the new site, you've done a great job!!!!

I'm Millie, formerly of an anonymous id on the other site, but rarely posted there, especially recently, as I didn't like the way things have changed over the years since I was an assistant. I'm now a 3rd yr trainee and although the course has it's ups and downs, I absolutely love my job!

My fav colour is yellow - I think of daffodils and think of spring and summer and what is to come during the grey winter months. Also because it's the colour of sunshine which makes me feel warm and fuzzy!

I have 2 cats, my fav pizza topping has to be all things meaty.

Choirgirl... I'm afraid I AM Bridget, not just a fan!

Spare time... uuummmmmm, apart from drinking many a fine wine, I guess I should say working hard towards 3rd year deadlines... except I have found a lot of fascinating hobbies recently, including hoovering, ironing, gardening (and growing my own veg! Well... I was impressed anyway!!) etc etc , the third year blues does make previously uninteresting tasks so enjoyable and time consuming!! I'm now Barbabra from the Good Life and loving evey minute of not being at the computer writing my thesis!!

Look forward to being involved in this new project, and once again, well done and keep up the good work!!

Mx

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:54 am

LOL Millie - we are ALL Bridget, in our own way..... Welcome to the club :wink:

(I'm thinking of starting our own special BJFC thread, so we can whinge to each other without annoying everyone else :lol: )
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

superchick

Post by superchick » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi everyone

Im Superchick (surprisingly not my real name).

My fav colours are green, purple and yellow (fresh, sumptuous and happy respectively!) I am not a lover of cats but adore dogs, especially small scruffy looking ones..........cairn terriers, cocker spaniels etc.

Very much a fan of all things sporty, esp running and hockey and love the gym too (yes i am sad!) and music as well including listening, playing etc.

Don't like pizza much but if that is the only option, im a northerner so not too fussy over food!

Came into this career pathway via a slightly unusual route of Undergrad in neuroscience and Master in Psyc. First time applying this year and got 3 interviews (I was gob-smacked!), 1 reserve place so far (get turning down those unwanted places dudes) 2 interviews still to go!

That is just about me in a nutshell......as for the bridget jones club......I do do fairly regular dating but the thing is I know exactly what im looking for and just haven't found it as yet........am i in then choirgirl?

x
SC :)

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Well, if I can resist the temptation to throw a hissy-fit at the fact that you are apparently finding chaps - suitable or not! - to date in the first place (which is more than I am!! :evil: ), I might consider it.....

......go on then :wink:
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

Millie

Post by Millie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:36 pm

Choirgirl - you're on!

Am definitley up for a separate thread or something somewhere if it doesn't belong here. My mate has recently set up a blog thing, which is v impressive to someone like me who only knows where the on button is on my laptop, maybe I'll ask her how to do it and we can have a BJBlog for all our daily dilemma's!? I could start now by saying.. weight loss: 10lb in 4 days after boyfriend left me for another woman, alcohol: about 20 bottles of vino in same time frame, fags: about 1 every 3 minutes......

But seriously, it's so great to see more and more people joining this forum, and as a form of supreme procrastination I shall endeavour to contribute the few wise words I have.

Mx

Milka

Post by Milka » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 am

Hi!

I'm Milka - obviously it's not my real name but it's a tribute to my favourite brand of chocolate Milka, which also reminds me of both my happy memories of Germany & my favourite colour which is purple (i guess cadburys have purple wrappers too but continental chocolate is so much nicer IMO!)

I've lurked for years on the psyclick forum under another name and found it really useful but never really posted much. I think the Wiki on this site is a great idea as it makes it so much easier having the most useful stuff in one place. I currently work as a primary care mental health worker & havent actually applied for The Course yet but am planning to next time.

Oh, and i'm yet another wannabe-psychologist cat lover! Would love to have one of my own but seeing as i'm renting in a shared house i have to make do with befriending the neigbours' cats who wander in our garden

M x

jazbi

Post by jazbi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:26 am

Hello!
I'm Jazbi! I've always thought myself to be a dog lover but since I started renting a house with two guys and a cat. I'm almost a total convert to cats. Our cat is called Roxy and she's gorgeous, cuddley and loves strokes :)

My favourite colour is yellow. My first car was a bright yellow cinquecento, and I loved it :)

I do triathlons and swimming is my favourite part. I used to swim competitively when I lived in South Africa but I was little then and now I rush in to the pool and hope that no-one has spotted my wobbly bits (which act as great floats when in the water!!)

I love cooking! My dad used to be a chef and my mum owned a restaurant so its in the blood and I really wasn't allowed to leave the table until I'd eaten everything including my worst memory of curried crab soup with the whole crab in the soup (which I had been chasing round the kitchen a few hours earlier) when I was about 6. So I have a taste for most things :)

purpledaisy

Post by purpledaisy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd join in the whole introduction thing! The new site is ace and I'm loving all the useful info!

My fave colour is purple (obviously!) and I shall be wearing a purple wedding dress when I get married in summer 2009. My gran thinks this is a bad decision but is slowly coming to terms with it!

Daisy is my dad's pet name for me, and I actually thought my name was Daisy when I was little as he called it me so often!

Am definately in the cat lover's club, but unfortunately don't have a big enough house to have one. Intend to move after qualifying and buying a cat will be the first thing I do (much to my fiance's dismay!)

My fave food is pizza, with a quality glass of either cab sav or rioja. Am a bit of a wine buff and this tends to be one of my main hobbies, along with belly dancing, hill walking and swimming.

Have taken a long winding road to clinical psychology training - degree, masters degree, ap jobs, ra jobs, support work, nurse training, mental health nursing, ap again!!

Applied for the first time this year and amazingly got 4 interviews. Had one offer so far which I intend accepting (Liverpool).

Is nice to hear a bit about everyone.

jochan

Post by jochan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Hiya

I am new to this forum and what better way to start my first posting by introducing myself.

I am Jo and is currently doing a conversion course in psychology with the goal of being a clinical psychologist. I know the path to my goal is long, but I'm sure I'll get there (hopefully) :wink:

Yellow, red and green are my favourite colours. With the current great weather, I'm obsessed with gardening (though I should start preparing for my May exams soon!!).

I love all animals and reptiles but I LOVE cats. However, we can't have any furry animals at home as my partner is allergic to them. Fortunately, we've got neighbours with cats, so I take any opportunity I can to go their places and play with them :D

This is a great site and the information posted has been extremely helpful. Looking forward to contributing more to this forum!

x

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi, I'm Rob.

My favourite colour is blue, I have a pet dog called Jessie (to buck the trend of cats for psychologists, lol), and also like Ben and Jerry's phish food ice cream. I'm a bit of a film fan, but like getting to the gym when I can (to work off the ice-cream). Nice to meet you all.

:D
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

phryn

Post by phryn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Hello everybody (to be said in the style of Dr. Nick from the Simpsons)

Hey, I'm phryn (which is actually part of my name - but not spelt the same oooo mysterious! ). For the last two years I've been working in Exeter as an RA on a trial into Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy into depression. And I have just found out that I'll be on the dclinpsy course next year, either at Exeter, or at Southampton (admittedly I'm yet to interview, and I'm not being super confident but you never know if you'll have options or the decision made for you). It's all feeling quite surreal at the moment but i'm very very happy! (My avatar is a good impression of me in my current state except I'm not quite as blue and squishy!)

I don't have a cat, and think I may be more of a dog person *gasp!* but don't have one of them either.

My favourite colour used to be purple. But nowadays I seem to be a magpie for a certain shade of greeny turquoise. So much so now that if I go clothes shopping with a friend they will point out items in that colour for me! :roll:

One of my major passions is live music, in a wide range of genres. I've currently got tickets for the give it a name festival (Jimmy eat World and AFI will be two massive hightlights for me), Lou Rhodes (ex singer from Lamb), Rodrigo y Gabriela (amazing duo of guitarists from Mexico), Aerosmith in Dublin (I may combust with excitement!). The Reading Festival (NIN and smashing pumpkins eeeeeeeee!), and Incubus. The feeling that you get standing in the venue when the lights go down and you and the crowd roars and the band takes to the stage - no other high can beat it! 8)

I like this hello section and could witter on for a long time (my favourite pizza would be meaty, the chicken, bacon and rosemary one from the italian range in Sainsburies is really good) but I won't! Looking forward to being a part of this board and have found it really positive so far! :)
Life's a journey, not a destination

moony

Post by moony » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:47 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm moony, and I was a bit of a lurker on psyclick, but I'm loving the new and improved forum here :) . Still an undergrad, but working towards clinical psychology, even if careers advisors, etc try and talk me out of it (They seem to think it's a near impossibility for anyone to actually get on to a doctorate course and like to persuade us to go down an easier career path, so it's nice to see lots of success on this forum!).

My favourite colour changes all the time, but right now, I'd go for purple. I'm also going to stick to the trend of cat loving psychologists.

Love to travel when I can afford it, and my favourite place in the world is probably the south island of New Zealand, who knows, one day I might emmigrate there!

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself, :D, nice hearing about you all!

pinkfluff

Post by pinkfluff » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:51 pm

Hello *waves*
I’ve totally forgotten most of the questions but I’ll do my best with what I can remember. (I’m very scatty by the way)

Fave colour – orange. Its supposed to be lucky but I cant remember where I heard that.

Fave ice cream is Ben & Jerry’s caramel choo-choo. Yummy.

Fave pizza- pepperoni – yummy again

Fave film- the Lost Boys. And yes I still have a thing for Corey Haim. (I’m assuming some of you are shaking your head in disbelief at me, some of you are thinking who? and maybe one or two of you are nodding your head in agreement)

Pets- I have a basset hound called Dobby (yes I like Harry Potter) who was named coz she has the classic solemn features of a basset as well as an obsession for socks. (I realise this will mean nothing to those of you that haven’t read/watched Harry Potter)

Current job- I’m an ABA therapist and have got the opportunity to become a certified behaviour analyst. I’m just not sure whether I should or not yet. (I’m also rubbish at decisions)

Other things I like- films, books, computer games and making lists. Resident evil is my fave game of all time (shooting zombies with a few puzzles so you don’t feel like a zombie staying up all night playing it). But I’m also loving lots of DS games at the moment like trauma centre (pretend to be a surgeon) and phoenix wright (pretend to be a defence attorney).

Sorry I’ve just realised I’ve gone on and on a bit there. I’ll shut up now.
Bye *waves again*

kez

Post by kez » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Loving the forum just reading through everything at the moment but will probably be hounding you with a load of questions soon :D

I am currently a second year applied psychology student at Durham uni (Queen's Campus) and loving it although i should be revising right now :oops: .

My favourite colour is purple and my favourite food is parmasan (aka parmo - no points for guessng where i am from lol)

I am not really into cats or dogs but i do have four leopard tortoises Michaelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael.

Oh yeah and i want to be a clinical psychologist surprise surprise lol.

Well i look forward to chatting soon.

Luv Kez x x x

loopylisa

Post by loopylisa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:16 pm

hey i'm lisa, final year applied psych student at cardiff uni.

favourite colours depends on whether its colours i am wanting to wear or colours of my car or walls etc, i like to wear lots of gold, greens, browns and greeny golds, my favourite colours for vehicles on the other hand is red and black. I prefer pastel shades for my walls.

used to be veggie for 3 years but now i am not i would say my favourite pizza is the newly discovered BBQ chicken from dominoes :lol:

right now i am 'revising' theories of associative learning in animals