Why does this website not rank threads by dates posted?

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
JamesFManc

Why does this website not rank threads by dates posted?

Post by JamesFManc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 pm

It's stupid to click on a sub-forum and them all to be from different dates, with some months ago and not relevant anymore

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BenJMan

Re: Why does this website not rank threads by dates posted?

Post by BenJMan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Threads are ranked according to date by which they last had something posted on them. I.e. the latest post in the section is at the top, a post on an older thread pulls it up to the top. That is pretty much the way all internet forums are based.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

JamesFManc

Post by JamesFManc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:59 pm

I don't think you understood what I wrote nor meant

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Oh well, I'll survive I suppose.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 am

Hi

I'm not really what you mean, since as Ben said, threads are ranked in accordance with when someone last posted in them, meaning that ongoing conversations (i.e. ones which are currently relevant and being discussed) are at the top. Would you mind elaborating further as to what you find 'stupid' ?

Some of the topics are 'stickied' to the top of each subforum, but these often contain important information?

thanks

Gilly
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:48 pm

I wonder if you undrstand the layout of the website, JamesManc? The most recent posts are always on top. Maybe you've done something strange with the display settings your end?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

JamesFManc

Post by JamesFManc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:25 am

What I mean is (partly) why is each thread posted not posted to the top of the forum e.g. if I posted a thread on 28/08/14 it would be above one posted on 27/08/14. Most forums, this is the only one I've come across that didn't, post and rank threads in rank order like this. But for instance if I posted in a thread on 28/08/14 which would be at the top of the list, then I posted in a thread from the 28/08/05 which would be near the bottom of the thread list, the 05 thread would be bumped to the top even though it was not relevant in 2014.

Does that make sense?

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 am

but if you've posted a response in the 05 thread - that means you have something to say on that particular topic, meaning that in theory, it is potentially relevant (since you've felt the need to add to the conversation) so it is brought to the top of the subform - otherwise noone would know that you've added something to it (if it remained buried on page 4 or whatever).

Also, if i posted a new thread in a subforum, it would go to the top of the page (below the stickied threads) as the forum works on the basis that threads with the most recent posts go to the top - most forums work like this one, otherwise people would have to search through pages upon pages of threads in order to find the ones that are activly being discussed.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:48 pm

JamesManc wrote:What I mean is (partly) why is each thread posted not posted to the top of the forum e.g. if I posted a thread on 28/08/14 it would be above one posted on 27/08/14. Most forums, this is the only one I've come across that didn't, post and rank threads in rank order like this. But for instance if I posted in a thread on 28/08/14 which would be at the top of the list, then I posted in a thread from the 28/08/05 which would be near the bottom of the thread list, the 05 thread would be bumped to the top even though it was not relevant in 2014.

Does that make sense?
You post in a thread it bumps it to the top of the section, except that announcements and sticky posts are held above it. Most regulars browse the forum by using "view posts since last visit" and see everything that has been posted on in one list and nothing that hasn't.

BTW you really need to work on your social skills. Would you join a new club or social group and as your fourth sentence announce loudly to the group that (the way you have misunderstood) the way they do things is stupid? Its not really a good way to make friends or to build the relationships that will be helpful to you later down the line.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

JamesFManc

Post by JamesFManc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 pm

I need to work on my social skills on a website? You're a psychologist aren't you? Why would a psychologist say I need to work on social skills because I made a comment on a website?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:19 pm

JamesManc wrote:I need to work on my social skills on a website? You're a psychologist aren't you? Why would a psychologist say I need to work on social skills because I made a comment on a website?
Because your social skills are demonstrably lacking? You don't need to be a psychologist to gain this sparkling level of insight either. Even my five year old could tell you that calling people or things they have put effort into stupid is rude and not a good way to make friends or get people to do what you want.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 am

JamesFManc wrote:I need to work on my social skills on a website? You're a psychologist aren't you? Why would a psychologist say I need to work on social skills because I made a comment on a website?
The evidence so far suggests you do have appalling forum etiquette. I'd sort it out sharpish or you'll find people stop replying to you or you won't get anything from this extremely useful resource. You've been given this advice already by Miriam, the Forum's Founder, so I'd take it or leave.

You can sort posts by date posted by clicking the "view new posts" link just above the "Wiki" box when you are logged in to the main forum page. This will show you any new posts since you last checked, in date and time order. There are other display options too that you can experiment with at your leisure.

No forum is perfect but if you take a bit of time to read around the site and explore you will become accustomed to the "stupid" way things are done here :roll:

Of course, if you don't like it, you could always go and start your own, new, not stupid forum for aspiring clinical psychologists elsewhere.

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."