Lets contribute to walkthetalk by supporting food bank

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
miriam
Site Admin

Lets contribute to walkthetalk by supporting food bank

Post by miriam » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 pm

As some of you may know, Ste Weatherhead, Clinical Psychologist and Editor of Clinical Psychology Forum, is doing a walk from the BPS HQ in Leicester to the BPS HQ in London to raise awareness of the impact of austerity (specifically food poverty, homelessness and benefits reform) on mental health. You can find out more about Walkthetalk2015 here.

One of his stops is at my local food bank in Milton Keynes, so I wondered whether anyone on clinpsy would like to join me to try to make a really substantial donation of food and other goods to them to coincide with this?

I thought we could donate ourselves, in terms of giving food or giving money for someone local to get food or provisions, but also approach companies and organisations to make larger donations to contribute, and see if we could make a small difference to people's lives. We've got a month. Would anyone else be willing to join me?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
eponymous85

Re: Lets contribute to walkthetalk by supporting food bank

Post by eponymous85 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Yes absolutely. We decided to donate our children benefit to food banks recently so could send it your way instead that month :)
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:15 am

definitely - I always spent a bit extra when local supermarkets are collecting for foodbanks so I can put some stuff in - so im more than hapy to send you some money if you can buy stuff on my behalf Miriam?

Also, Jamie Hacker-Hughes (current BPS president) is also doing walk the talk with Ste - which I think shows the direction the BPS is heading at the moment (which im liking!)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:04 pm

I'd like to collect some nice food/items to donate on that day, not just the staples that people using food banks expect. I wonder if we can get any corporate sponsors that could contribute on a larger scale?

Maybe some small gifts to give a small lift in spirits to people who have to use the food bank too. And we can print walkthetalk stickers to put on them.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:18 pm

If anyone is willing to donate financially, please PM me for ways to send money that I can use to buy food and items to increase happiness (eg toiletries, small toys/gifts, books, cakes, pretty hairclips, etc). Otherwise please send stuff that I can take to the food bank. Or use your contacts to get businesses to donate.

Imagine how lovely it would be to have a meal out, or a trip to the cinema or bowling for your family if you've been living on the poverty line...
Miriam

anna88

Post by anna88 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 am

This idea is so great, and fantastic to see people getting involved with #walkthetalk2015 in so many different ways.

We are also having an open public meeting, which has been organised by the East Midlands Branch of the Division of Clinical Psychology. It's in Leicester on Sunday 16th August at 7pm- 8.30pm where we will have a video presentation and then a discussion about the walk and the reasons behind it etc.

If anyone is in the area it would be great to see you!

Details:

Sunday 16th August 7pm-8.30pm
Phoenix Cinema (Burton Room) http://www.phoenix.org.uk/

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:24 am

I've been contacting supermarkets, restaurant chains and the like on twitter, and a few have given me info about who to contact within their organisation to request donations. I'd like to follow those up ASAP but I don't have much time and energy at the moment as I am recovering from a road traffic accident and haven't been at my best. Is anyone else able to help with collecting stuff for this?
Miriam